No F1 thread?

Broccers

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by Broccers »

Did having different compounds make the racing any more exciting? I don't think it did.

I see the point about investment, not as if you can put them an a ford fiesta on the monday when youve raced on a sunday.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:06 am Did having different compounds make the racing any more exciting? I don't think it did.

I see the point about investment, not as if you can put them an a ford fiesta on the monday when youve raced on a sunday.
it certainly made yesterday's race more exciting.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:09 am
Broccers wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:06 am Did having different compounds make the racing any more exciting? I don't think it did.

it certainly made yesterday's race more exciting.
Thats true but also ruined it as you really shouldnt have that kind of problem while leading a race. It doesnt happen in bike racing as the rider would probably die.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yesterday's was extreme, but almost every race has advantages and disadvantages from the tyre you're on, that's why they sometimes take risks in Q2 to try and get through to Q3 on a tyre that might give them an advantage in the race against the tyre that might be fastest over a single lap. We saw pit stops start at about lap 9 of 51 yesterday because the soft tyre was fast but didn't last very long.

Etc...
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I guess so.

I also like that track as when you make a mistake its fairly brutal hitting a wall, but you can overtake too. The exceeding the circuit limits on some of them are ridiculous.

Anyway I enjoyed it for once as thats rare these days 8-)
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:18 am
mikeyb wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:26 pm Lord knows what is happening to Bottas. A really poor weekend for him.
It's becoming an increasingly regular occurrence, you could very easily see LH winning the DC and RB winning the CC on account of having the stronger aggregate driver lineup. Merc may regret not bringing in GR for this season.
Absolutely. Merc needs a number 2 driver to cover any issues/mistakes of LH. Much like Perez did when MV's tyre failed.

It'll be an interesting dynamic with LH if/when GR moves to Merc.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They should just do a mid season swap as cruel as that may be to Bottas. This way Russell is already out of the championship and as a rookie he will be happy enough taking team orders if required. Plus he gets half a season to learn the car.
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Agreed, could easily see RB winning both too. I was more trying to highlight that VB's form could be a major factor in which way the CC goes.
Rich B wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:57 am There were two tyre suppliers, but now they want to actively control the compounds offered to make the racing more interesting - you can't really do that if you have private companies fighting each other to make the best ones. And no one wants to invest hundreds of millions to be the shitty tyre in F1.
Indeed. Tyres are such a critical element for performance that it would be such a big factor outside of the individual team's control, with the cars being quite closely matched it would probably split the field in two depending on whether they backed the right horse or the wrong horse. I'm quite happy for one tyre manufacturer and let other things dictate the winners and losers.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:31 pm They should just do a mid season swap as cruel as that may be to Bottas. This way Russell is already out of the championship and as a rookie he will be happy enough taking team orders if required. Plus he gets half a season to learn the car.
Learning the car will be pointless as next years are so different.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Doubly pointless as he doesn't fit.

I guess he could learn the wheel controls though. He did struggle with that (unsurprisingly) when he subbed in for Lewis.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mikeyb wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:15 pm
mikeyb wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:26 pm Lord knows what is happening to Bottas. A really poor weekend for him.
It's becoming an increasingly regular occurrence, you could very easily see LH winning the DC and RB winning the CC on account of having the stronger aggregate driver lineup. Merc may regret not bringing in GR for this season.
Absolutely. Merc needs a number 2 driver to cover any issues/mistakes of LH. Much like Perez did when MV's tyre failed.

Bottas has been a fairly decent No.2 to Hamilton for years now. He's had 3 3rd places this year, was taken out by GR at Imola, a wheelnut at Monaco. He's hardly written off yet.

But generally it does seem that his confidence may have taken a hit, and I can't see him there next year. I don't think there's any chance of a mid-year swap though.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Gavin wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:24 am I enjoyed the race, like the above, it is nice to see Seb come back, he was always funny but dominance is boring, possibly even if it your team/driver doing the dominating!?

Perez should have been in the lead after the stops, although would have been interesting to see what happened if that had transpired as Max of old didn't like DR being in front of him, might have been a tasty scrap or a spectacular off with LH taking a sneak past win.

A season where a few drivers and teams have shots at the podium and wins is refreshing to see though.

Wonder when Mercedes finished both cars but out the points last? 2012,2013? When they both finished I mean
Don’t know about Mercedes, but apparently the last time either hamilton, bottas or verstappen failed to score a point in the same race was apparently Japan 2013, which was bottas’ debut season and max was still racing karts
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:59 pm
mikeyb wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:15 pm

Bottas has been a fairly decent No.2 to Hamilton for years now. He's had 3 3rd places this year, was taken out by GR at Imola, a wheelnut at Monaco. He's hardly written off yet.

But generally it does seem that his confidence may have taken a hit, and I can't see him there next year. I don't think there's any chance of a mid-year swap though.
There were a few races last year where he was way off the pace too though, he can never make his way through any sort of traffic, if he's not trying to hang on to a faster car he usually goes backwards. They could get away with it most other seasons, but they won't this year. I agree they won't swap mid-season though.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The scream has been confirmed to belong to Webber 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

:lol: I think his jaw shrunk three sizes in embarrassment.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I've been banned from William Storeys Twitter at least 8 times - he's great fun to wind up!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Interesting one on the tyre failure investigation. So it's not the fault of debris, the team, or the tyre.

Although basically reading between the lines it is the team's fault really for knowingly keeping tyre pressures lower than Pirelli's expectation... and also a little bit Pirelli's fault for not monitoring/controlling what pressure the teams were running them at aside from the starting pressure.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I wonder whether the team fessed up to running them low first, or Pirelli figured it out on their own during the investigation.