No F1 thread?

Jimmy Choo

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by Jimmy Choo »

jamcg wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:04 am Looks like Kimi could be out of a race seat next year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44660670
So, there are no seats at Ferrari or Mercedes. Ricciardo will end up staying at Red Bull. I suspect Alonso will sack off F1 and race in Indycar and when he wins the Indy 500 switch to NASCAR to win the Daytona 500 and stake his claim as the winner of the first ever Quadruple Crown.

Meanwhile Kimi joins MacLaren just so he can tell them how bad the car is. His drive is entirely paid in Magnums and Alcohol and he starts drawing cocks on all the empty bodywork where there should be advertising.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Marv

Post by Marv »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:02 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:54 am As I said last time this happened (China?) - surely their simulation software has a big red flashing warning to pit in this situation that someone chose to override.
It shouldn't even need that. It was in the pit window, it's well understood that pit stops under VSC or SC are hugely advantageous, it should've been an automatic reaction, like it was for RB and Fez.
Maybe it's a bit like with Uber's autonomous cars, where the software was overly cautious to begin with (stopping for a empty packet of crisps in the road, etc), so they ended up dialing the software back to ignore everything, to the point where it would happily run over pedestrians/cyclists!
Oui, je suis un motard.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Lots of people spinning, losing back end, crashing (well, GRO) at Silverstone. The new surface probably to blame, but it's actually making this practise quite entertaining! Hope the actual race will be! :lol:
Cheers,

Ian
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

IanF wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:17 am Lots of people spinning, losing back end, crashing (well, GRO) at Silverstone. The new surface probably to blame, but it's actually making this practise quite entertaining! Hope the actual race will be! :lol:
Is some of it to do with the new DRS zone where it's on a corner?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:40 pm
IanF wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:17 am Lots of people spinning, losing back end, crashing (well, GRO) at Silverstone. The new surface probably to blame, but it's actually making this practise quite entertaining! Hope the actual race will be! :lol:
Is some of it to do with the new DRS zone where it's on a corner?
That and it being bumpy as fuck. “Like when you fit a new carpet and then you realise your hamster is under it”, according to Crofty :roll:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Best race I've seen in years
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

So Lewis made a suggestion the move was deliberate. Crikey.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Orange Cola wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:03 pm So Lewis made a suggestion the move was deliberate. Crikey.
Surprised none of the commentary team have picked up on that comment.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

CH4 have.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I’m watching C4 and they haven’t mentioned Lewises comment.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Orange Cola wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:03 pm So Lewis made a suggestion the move was deliberate. Crikey.
So did Toto. And James Allison - who previously worked for Ferrari. Perhaps he knows that Ferrari would use such tactics having worked for them previously.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:05 pm
Surprised none of the commentary team have picked up on that comment.
Definitely mentioned by Crofty on Sky.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Marv

Post by Marv »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:14 pm
So did Toto. And James Allison - who previously worked for Ferrari. Perhaps he knows that Ferrari would use such tactics having worked for them previously.
I imagine Raikkonnen would tell them to fuck off, he doesn't seem the type of driver who would do something like that on purpose.

Great recovery race by Hamilton.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:14 pm
One comment is dismissible but it's a bit worrying when someone like James makes that statement too. If it's deliberate we will see more of it.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Will we or will Ferrari stop it now that there’s rumours circulating?

I don’t think Kimi would do it, had it been a few races ago when his contract was up for renegotiation then maybe but he’s already out of a race seat at Ferrari for next year and has shown some discontent with the team at that decision.

Mercedes could stop throwing about such rumours and actually improve their useless clutch, they’ve had inconsistent launches for a few years now and in all the crashes their bad getaway could be attributed to that.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Hamilton showed just how brilliant of a driver he can be with that recovery but I wish he would shut up and drive sometimes!! I noticed his rear wheel did look buckled after the contact so that would explain the strange feeling from the rear. Kimis recovery was good too after the penalty, felt bad for Leclerc going out from a pit error. Not sure how the c4 commentators spoke of the Grosjean and sainz incident but noticed roman have an oversteer understeer moment as soon as the on board shot was shown on tv, with the commentary team only saying it after a few minutes. Why does it take commentators so long to pick up on what has actually happened?
Mieite

Post by Mieite »

10 seconds was harsh compared to what Vettel got from hitting Bottas.
If Hamilton pushed Räikkönen out like that, it would have been "racing insident, no penalties".
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mieite wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:40 pm 10 seconds was harsh compared to what Vettel got from hitting Bottas.
If Hamilton pushed Räikkönen out like that, it would have been "racing insident, no penalties".
I disagree. Vettel’s 5 second penalty was demonstrably lenient.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:46 pm
Mieite wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:40 pm 10 seconds was harsh compared to what Vettel got from hitting Bottas.
I disagree. Vettel’s 5 second penalty was demonstrably lenient.
I agree. In which universe do you, Mieite, watch F1?

Ferrari always get "lenient" penalties, I can't remember a time when Ferrari were found to be at fault and the resulting penalty put them in to a worse position when compared to the driver who wasn't at fault. Ferrari always take the penalty but it's never enough to put them far enough down the grid to make a real difference in the over all results I.e. They've lost the lead in the championship, they've ended up behind the car who's race they ruined etc.

The whole penalties and grid place penalty system needs a complete rethink, sooner rather than later.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Well done to Lewis, helped in the end by the safety cars allowing him to close quite a large time deficit.

Although I am not the biggest Hamilton fan I don think it was a deliberate move to take him out. Let's also not forget that it was his own tardy start which put him in that position in the first place.

If he hadn't been taken out we could assume he would have been allowed through into second, I think the Ferrari had the pace to stay ahead so it still would have come down to the pit call at the safety car, which at the end probably would have put them in the same position with the ferraris on fresher soft tyres and the two Mercedes on older harder ones.

I was impressed with kimi, other than that incident, despite an extra ten seconds at the pit stop he was back on the back of the redbulls within a few laps. I thought the side by side bit with max might have got a bit messy at one point.
Cheers, Harry