No F1 thread?

DeskJockey

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:53 pm History wont look kindly on those who joined the LIV tour
No. But I guess the lure of a nine figure payout is strong.

As for drivers complaining about only making £2m/month before sponsorship money, I've got a very small violin they can borrow.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

jamcg wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:45 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:39 pm Seems fair when some golfers are now getting hundreds of millions to play in the new Saudi-backed tournament. All they do is whack a ball with a stick.
All banned from pga tour now though
Well, they've got plenty of $$ to dry their eyes with :lol:

That clip with Poulter and Westwood was both hilarious and horrific.
mik

Post by mik »

I think the idea of a cap is stoopid. Free market etc etc. And they also make £wads from sponsoring and other sources, so why cap only one element?

It is quite weird seeing people justify why they deserve to be paid rondinculous sums though….
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:00 pm
dinny_g wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:53 pm History wont look kindly on those who joined the LIV tour
True but plenty have said no, including McIlroy and Tiger who rumours suggest, was offered 10 figures…
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:53 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:00 pm
True but plenty have said no, including McIlroy and Tiger who rumours suggest, was offered 10 figures…
If that's true I'm glad to hear that they've got strong morals. Although I'm sure it helps that they're both millionaires (suggestion is that Woods is already a billionaire) and wouldn't need to work another day of their lives if they didn't want to.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

None of them are exactly poor. Poulter was posting vids of his kid making putts on this private Jet on Instagram last week.

He owns a 288 GTO, an F40, F50 and 2 LaFerrari’s for fucks sake.

Oh and a Testsrossa, a 275 GTB, a GT40 and a 911 GT2
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:39 pm None of them are exactly poor. Poulter was posting vids of his kid making putts on this private Jet on Instagram last week.

He owns a 288 GTO, an F40, F50 and 2 LaFerrari’s for fucks sake.

Oh and a Testsrossa, a 275 GTB, a GT40 and a 911 GT2
Ah, but are they all supercars? 😉

Seriously, these individuals have an extremely high skill set, so it’s only right they receive a % of the revenue they help generate… the more successful the sport is crowd-wise, the more they deserve to be paid.
Cheers,

Ian
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

They do normally… $2 mill for a typical win, more for Majors.

On the LIV tour, they’re not getting paid based on revenue generated, they are just being paid by rich Saudi’s.

With the exception of Dustin Johnson and Bryson DeChambeau, they’re all mid field golfers or past their prime oldies.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m not impressed that F1 has purposefully timed this quali to start later (so late in fact that it risks going into sunset) to coincide with the start of Le Mans and the race to start a few hours earlier such that it coincides with the end of Le Mans 🙄 Petty pricks.

Someone has stuffed it in the wall heavily during F2 so the barrier repairs mean quali will start at 3:15 now.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:26 pm I have no idea what prompted this, but drivers reject proposed £24million PA salary cap.

the reality is, that every one of them would still do it if it paid a sausage roll and a can of Fanta per race, but I get the point - why should everyone else get rich off the sport if they're the talent. It's business.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

See comments by Nelson P have resurfaced where I am guessing he used the Portuguese equivalent of the N word. Am I misremembering that he had a reputation for being a bit of a cock back in the day?
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Gavin wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:58 am See comments by Nelson P have resurfaced where I am guessing he used the Portuguese equivalent of the N word. Am I misremembering that he had a reputation for being a bit of a cock back in the day?
Nope, he made comments about Mansell's wife when they were team mates and he called Senna "a Sao Paulo taxi driver".

Coincidentally for extra spice, Max Verstappen is shagging Piquet's daughter.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
John

Post by John »

Piquet has always been a dickhead and it seems that he hasn’t changed at all. There is an argument that the word he used doesn’t have the same impact in his language but anyone with an ounce of sense must know that it would filter to the wider press and cause offence.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

John wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:25 am Piquet has always been a dickhead and it seems that he hasn’t changed at all. There is an argument that the word he used doesn’t have the same impact in his language but anyone with an ounce of sense must know that it would filter to the wider press and cause offence.
Apparently it has two meanings depending on context. One is a term of affection I believe, if used in the familial/friendship way and the other is racist. Given that he's not pals with LH one can therefore deduce he's just a racist cunt.

Xmas parties at Red Bull must be a proper twat-fest - Horner, Marko, Verstappen Snr, Verstappen Jnr and possibly Piquet Snr.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I can't believe they're still not over the Silverstone incident, you'd think the free gifted championship would soften it for them.

Hamilton is such a hero in Brazil that he was granted Brazilian citizenship so Piquet isn't doing himself any favours. The Brazilian fans seem pretty pissed at him too so I'm not falling for the 2 meanings bollocks either.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Delphi wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:24 am
Gavin wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:58 am See comments by Nelson P have resurfaced where I am guessing he used the Portuguese equivalent of the N word. Am I misremembering that he had a reputation for being a bit of a cock back in the day?
Nope, he made comments about Mansell's wife when they were team mates and he called Senna "a Sao Paulo taxi driver".

Coincidentally for extra spice, Max Verstappen is shagging Piquet's daughter.
Who was shagging Daniel kvyat, and has a kid with him. I know it’s not the case, but it almost seems like getting his red bull seat wasn’t enough for max :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:39 am I'm not falling for the 2 meanings bollocks either.
That's not to excuse his use - it was a clarification of the meaning of the word. I don't think he's at any point suggested he meant it in the friendly sense. It's been inferred by others that, as it has two meanings that are contextual, he can only have meant it as a racist term.

And I understand that the footage is actually from last year and has only just surfaced - so it's not continued sour grapes.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I have to say it - after 24 hours of reading EVERYONE blowing smoke up Hamiltons arse its totally over the top. Old guy from another era uses an inappropriate word in today's world and is absolutely crucified. Happens a lot these days, years of career built up and the media destroy them. See Phil Nicholson in golf.

Other than that I've no other comment.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Broccers wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:26 pm I have to say it - after 24 hours of reading EVERYONE blowing smoke up Hamiltons arse its totally over the top. Old guy from another era uses an inappropriate word in today's world and is absolutely crucified. Happens a lot these days, years of career built up and the media destroy them. See Phil Nicholson in golf.

Other than that I've no other comment.
Well, not quite. Old guy from another era that everyone always thought was a throbber proves he's still a throbber, more like.