No F1 thread?

Zonda_

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by Zonda_ »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:56 am
Orange Cola wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:05 am Russell has also been out in an F1 car this season, must have been an exciting step up from his Williams GP2 car he’s been in all year.
Did this sentence make some kind of sense when you wrote it?
I think he's saying he's driven a vaguely competitive F1 car now as opposed to the donkey he's had all year.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:07 am
Orange Cola wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:05 am Russell has also been out in an F1 car this season, must have been an exciting step up from his Williams GP2 car he’s been in all year.
I think he's saying he's driven a vaguely competitive F1 car now as opposed to the donkey he's had all year.
But if he’s been in a donkey all year, when has he driven a vaguely competitive car?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:09 am

But if he’s been in a donkey all year, when has he driven a vaguely competitive car?
I assumed he’d been driving one in the tyre testing.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

It did because I wrote week and it autocorrected to season :evil:
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:09 am

He’s part of the Mercedes driver development scheme, they had him out in the Merc for the tyre test after the last race and it looks like he got a decent amount of time in the car for it.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Ah, suddenly it all makes sense :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/moto ... 65336.html

Who could have predicted a move from free-to-air tv to going behind a pay wall would have reduced viewing figures by 8.6million?
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

jamcg wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:23 am http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/moto ... 65336.html

Who could have predicted a move from free-to-air tv to going behind a pay wall would have reduced viewing figures by 8.6million?
I wonder how many people went out and bought from advertisers linked to the sport though? I am sure Porter did a column in EVO years back saying her did. I think I once went for Renault F1 Sure antiperspirant over a similarly priced rival due to my love of F1 but SKY know everyone watching on their platform are paying at least £120 per year to do so. SKY F1's coverage of race weekends is night and day with the Beeb and ITV coverage ever was and at the moment I am happy to pay to watch it.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Gavin wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:59 am
jamcg wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:23 am http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/moto ... 65336.html

I wonder how many people went out and bought from advertisers linked to the sport though? I am sure Porter did a column in EVO years back saying her did. I think I once went for Renault F1 Sure antiperspirant over a similarly priced rival due to my love of F1 but SKY know everyone watching on their platform are paying at least £120 per year to do so. SKY F1's coverage of race weekends is night and day with the Beeb and ITV coverage ever was and at the moment I am happy to pay to watch it.
This is the problem, not everyone thinks it’s value for money. Worst thing they did was take the live element away from free to view and it’s something I’m hoping Liberty media fix. I don’t think people would mind paying extra for additional coverage eg sky compared to ch4 but they at least won’t be driving people away from the sport.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I know testing is not good to judge much, but all teams getting plenty of laps in first test is a great sign. I sense the midfield battle this year will be fierce. Last year a lot of teams didn't really get out of the blocks early in testing.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Yeah, fairly uneventful day 1. Merc looks sorted, Racing Point and McLaren look competitive. Red Bull looks quick but a handful. Ferrari look to be nowhere but who knows at this stage? Haas looks very inconsistent again. Williams looked fairly pedestrian but was matching mid-field times. George Russell sounded guarded rather than enthused at the lunch break, though.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It will be the same as last year for the top 3. Ferrari actually taking it easy instead of setting blistering lap times and giving the Italians false hope. I wonder if Mclaren will continue their upwards trajectory as Renault didn’t bother with a new engine this year - Racing Point should be better this year with solid backing although they have 2 average drivers. Ricciardo must be even more gutted going round circles in that pile of crap though. Williams still shit but slightly less shit, just trying to survive until next year.
Speaking of 2021 how many teams are hedging their bets on being able to come out on top due to the new regs and thus putting in a mediocre effort this year? I reckon it will be the same top 3 teams in with a chance as due to current budgets they are the only teams who will be able to develop the 2021 car along side this years. Then of course there’s the 2021 budget caps so the shit cars will stay shite for a good few years.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Ferrari were setting the fastest laps last year but so far this year they haven’t put a decent time in. Either they’re really fast but sandbagging or they’re shit.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:48 am Ferrari were setting the fastest laps last year but so far this year they haven’t put a decent time in. Either they’re really fast but sandbagging or they’re shit.
... and Merc didn't look very strong last year in testing compared to Ferrari, so read into it what you will (that you shouldn't read anything into it probably). :)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Are you lot living in a parallel universe to me? Merc and Ferrari were fastest last year and within 3/1000ths of each other.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'm living in a universe where I have to go off my failing memory rather than having time to look up facts. I remember Merc being worried and saying they couldn't live with Ferrari. Obviously that didn't translate into times, but the coverage and the teams usually know more about how quick a set up they are running, the times alone usually don't tell the whole (or even very much) of the story.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

This is what I was remembering: Link

Probably didn't follow the last couple of days for some reason. :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I was watching the testing roundup last night on Sky and Ted said that Mercedes had got around their overheating problems by managing to raise the boiling point of the fluids they use and that’s allowed them to fit even smaller radiators :shock:
They didn’t like Ferrari blitzing past them on the straights either so say that won’t happen this year yet they have the same downforced based aero design as last year so the engine must be much stronger.
I reckon they’ll have a bigger gap on Ferrari this year. Last year Ferrari were only close due to potentially cheating.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I still think Ferrari’s “cheat” was a beautiful interpretation of the rules. So elegant and simple *chef’s kiss*
Middle-aged Dirtbag