No F1 thread?

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by Gavin »

I am far more surprised that Alpha Tauri have kept Yuki Tsunoda on for a second year. Given their rep for axing drivers, given his fairly woeful and tantrum filled season, he seemed likely to be dropped. Dennis Hauger in F3 is looking very fast but cannot think who they have coming through F2, maybe no-one has points to get a superlicence or more likely tied in with the "still having Honda in there for something or other for 2022" deal.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Gavin wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:32 am Well that will fill the build up to Monza with debate on how he will do, as opposed to how he might do. :)

If the cars are closer next year as promised, it could be a season to remember as there are half a dozen top class drivers at least, probably more, both older (Alonso and Lewis possibly Ricciardo) and younger generation even more so LeClerc, Sainz, Norris, Russell with Gasly and Ocon not far behind.
Riccardio's not up there is he, been blown away by Norris...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I keep forgetting that Ricciardo is no longer a youngster. He was one of those drivers everyone said would be a future champ but once out of the Red Bull he really hasn’t shined.
How about not having a sig at all?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Aussie F1 fans have been in bloody purgatory for so very very long...

McLaren would be fools not to make the new car suit Lando so Ric will either have to get his head around that style or be resigned to wingmanship again.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Gavin wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:01 am I am far more surprised that Alpha Tauri have kept Yuki Tsunoda on for a second year. Given their rep for axing drivers, given his fairly woeful and tantrum filled season, he seemed likely to be dropped. Dennis Hauger in F3 is looking very fast but cannot think who they have coming through F2, maybe no-one has points to get a superlicence or more likely tied in with the "still having Honda in there for something or other for 2022" deal.
He’s a pay driver isn’t he, I imagine that’s a lot more important to the smaller teams now with the budget caps.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Foz wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:53 pm
Gavin wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:32 am Well that will fill the build up to Monza with debate on how he will do, as opposed to how he might do. :)

If the cars are closer next year as promised, it could be a season to remember as there are half a dozen top class drivers at least, probably more, both older (Alonso and Lewis possibly Ricciardo) and younger generation even more so LeClerc, Sainz, Norris, Russell with Gasly and Ocon not far behind.
Riccardio's not up there is he, been blown away by Norris...
If he gets a car that suits his driving style, he's a really talented driver.

I thought he'd just take 3-4 races to adapt to the McLaren, but that doesn't seem to be the case 😕
Oui, je suis un motard.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Didn't Ric struggle with the brake feel on the Renault when he first joined them?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Yeah, he was pretty much a match for Max who most people consider to be one of the best. Perhaps DR will be more of a DC or a Button, lightening quick on their day, but just not enough days in their careers.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:20 am Can't wait to see LH vs GR next season, that's going to be fascinating.
Great news and well deserved. Looking forward to seeing how well he does.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

A bit of a shock ;) , but great to see an all uk team.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Nice, hopefully he'll do well at Williams, rather than the viper pit that is RBR!
Oui, je suis un motard.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Marv wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:08 pm

Nice, hopefully he'll do well at Williams, rather than the viper pit that is RBR!
Yes, I think his biggest problem at Red Bull was the massive pressure they put on their drivers.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:41 pm

Yes, I think his biggest problem at Red Bull was the massive pressure they put on their drivers.
Thats what happens at the top in F1. There's millions at stake, there's 20 or so seats, there's no room for charity.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Rich B wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:18 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:41 pm

Thats what happens at the top in F1. There's millions at stake, there's 20 or so seats, there's no room for charity.
True but if Mercedes operated the same way Bottas would have gone a long time ago, Red Bull are known for poorly treating drivers,
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I always imaging most f1 teams response to poor initial results to be don’t worry, the results will come.

Then I imagine at red bull if you’re not brilliant out of the box is immediate threats and demands to improve instantly
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The Red Bull approach is harsh but in the cut throat world of F1 it does make some sense. Drivers which are not immediately quick off the bat within a few races at a new team will never be greater than average.
Red Bull could have kept Albon for a few more years and no doubt he’d become a better driver, but he’d still be second tier.

Do you want a driver who has a very particular driving style and can only get along with one sort of car when it’s in a narrow window or a driver who can jump into anything and extract the most out of it.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:25 pm Do you want a driver who has a very particular driving style and can only get along with one sort of car when it’s in a narrow window or a driver who can jump into anything and extract the most out of it.
This is exactly what red bull want. They build a car to how max wants it and act surprised when it only suits max
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

jamcg wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:40 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:25 pm Do you want a driver who has a very particular driving style and can only get along with one sort of car when it’s in a narrow window or a driver who can jump into anything and extract the most out of it.
This is exactly what red bull want. They build a car to how max wants it and act surprised when it only suits max
The concept of a team building a car to suit someone’s driving style isn’t entirely accurate. I’ve heard numerous designers and drivers say that they’re firstly built to fit the drivers ergonomically and then to be as fast as possible. The handling may be understeery or oversteery as a result of the design philosophy of the car. This is where over numerous seasons and regulation changes some drivers really shine whilst others fall.
We all know of many drivers who have been great for a few years or during a single era but then receded into mediocrity.

To be fair to the second drivers in Red Bull what they don’t have is an identical car to Max, I believe Perez is 3 races behind Max in terms of his car however you would still expect them to be at least P4 each race.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Red Bull massively favour their main driver yet expect equal performance from their number 2. Primarily because Horner and Marko are massive cunts. All your eggs in one basket strategy can work (e.g. Ferrari with Schumacher) but not if you put massive pressure on your already disadvantaged number 2.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m enjoying this 🍿