No F1 thread?

Marv

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by Marv »

Very enjoyable race. Was really nice seeing a different set of people on the podium.

With Carlos and LeClerc at Ferrari next year, I really hope they find a way of bouncing back. Almost a shame that Carlos is leaving McLaren. He's doing a great job there (as is Norris)

LeClercs crash yesterday probably cost his team mate next season his first win...
Oui, je suis un motard.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Marv wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:16 am
LeClercs crash yesterday probably cost his team mate next season his first win...
yeah, that selfish prick.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Marv wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:10 am
duncs500 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:40 am
GG. wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:53 pm I also agree, listening to Di Resta makes me want to poke hot sharp implements into my eyes. To be honest I’d keep Brundle, Lazenby and Pinkham and sack the rest.
Where's Anthony Davidson? He's good on the analysis side. I also like Karun and Ted.

When are Sky going to offer Crazy Dave a contract? Be great to reunite him with Brundle.
Dunno. Whisper Films who create the F1 programme for Channel 4, is owned by DC and Channel 4 (and others)

So it'd be an interesting set of circumstances for that to happen (though you never know)
Didn't know that, but C4 F1 is pretty shite these days, DC should just sell up and move on.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

It's good to see a competitive McLaren. They were the second best team behind the Mercs, Sainz and Norris seemed quite comfortable keep the rest behind them before the safety car.
M235i
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:11 am

Where's Anthony Davidson? He's good on the analysis side. I also like Karun and Ted.

When are Sky going to offer Crazy Dave a contract? Be great to reunite him with Brundle.
Dunno. Whisper Films who create the F1 programme for Channel 4, is owned by DC and Channel 4 (and others)

So it'd be an interesting set of circumstances for that to happen (though you never know)
Didn't know that, but C4 F1 is pretty shite these days, DC should just sell up and move on.
When Sky first took it was a done deal that Couthard would do whichever UK channel was showing it at the time then move to Sky to join Brundle the following year. He must have seen more money in going his own way.
Marv

Post by Marv »

I quite like the C4 highlights :oops:
Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »

So should Vettel retire?

He’s only 33, but I don’t see him getting a drive with a major player now (?)

I’d like to see him go, but that is mainly as a punishment for the level of smugness demonstrated during the pointy-finger years.
mik

Post by mik »

Marv wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:35 am

I binned Sky so C4 highlights are my only option. Can be difficult avoiding the result if I do decide (rarely) that I want to watch the whole race.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Marv wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:35 am

Me too. However, I have noticed in the last couple of races just how often they miss key bits of action. Yesterday I saw the first half of the race on NowTV and watched the C4 highlights to catch the rest of what had happened. It was infuriating to listen to DC and Edwards clueless as to what information there was out there to let drivers know that the pitlane was closed - that would be fine for me as a punter to miss, but they should know FFS.

That still doesn't put me off overall thought compared to listening to Croft. My ideal would be that the Sky deal comes to a close and Liberty go with C4/Whisper for terrestrial broadcast. Chandhok, Brundle and Button head over to C4 to join DC and Webber.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Marv wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:35 am I quite like the C4 highlights :oops:
My main problems is that when I've watched it there doesn't seem to be much of the actual racing shown, quite a lot of filler and ad brakes. Some of the contributors are still good like DC and Webber.
mik

Post by mik »

Isn’t that part of the agreement with Sky? They can only have a certain % of the show dedicated to the race footage? Think it was mentioned earlier in this Fred
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:48 am
My main problems is that when I've watched it there doesn't seem to be much of the actual racing shown, quite a lot of filler and ad brakes. Some of the contributors are still good like DC and Webber.
It's actually been better this year I think. But all of that is driven by the deal with Sky. There are limits on the earliest that the show can start after Sky's live broadcast, and what %age of the overall show can be racing - hence they've gone with lots of filler to ensure that the highlights themselves aren't unduly short.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:47 am It was infuriating to listen to DC and Edwards clueless as to what information there was out there to let drivers know that the pitlane was closed - that would be fine for me as a punter to miss, but they should know FFS.
DC sounded annoyed with himself that he didn't know the answer straight away.

I don't have Sky so I only watch it on C4. At least leaving it until it's on catchup the ads don't all play, so it's just a quick interruption.

Great win for Gasly and an exciting chase on the last lap. And top damage limitation from Hamilton. I suspect he was enjoying that.
Left over crest; tightens.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:48 am
This for me too. I have sky sports mobile through my phone contract, so can watch the whole thing (on a small screen with no headphones allowed, because...), so don't have to watch C4 unless I'm not able to sit down and watch it live.

Silver lining of yesterday's red flag was that I managed to nip out and buy a replacement airer without missing anything.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I don’t have Sky, I just stream the ones I want to watch.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

GG. wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:53 pm Yep Crofty made a couple of howlers. Not sure how helpful it is to have a commentator saying stuff you can see is plain wrong just be looking at the screen in front of you.
He's even more annoying than Murray Walker.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Getting very close.

Interestingly the F1TV (FOM or whatever it's called today) uses the Sky feed but doesn't show any of the video punditry (so-called analysis). Not sure I'd want to be the lawyer who agrees all this minutiae.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I really find the sky program unwatchable, Id rather just watch the c4 highlights with Ben and dc than the live races on sky.

Annoying that they don’t stick them on on demand straight away, I was looking for it last night but it wasn’t up so watched a 7min highlights thing on the official f1 YouTube and it was terrible with no clue what was going on! Thankfully it had recorded so watched the full highlights today.

I think they do a good job with what they’re allowed to show.
Cheers, Harry
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

McSwede wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:27 pm
GG. wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:53 pm Yep Crofty made a couple of howlers. Not sure how helpful it is to have a commentator saying stuff you can see is plain wrong just be looking at the screen in front of you.
He's even more annoying than Murray Walker.
Please leave and hand in your login credentials.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

mr_jon wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:06 pm Getting very close.

Interestingly the F1TV (FOM or whatever it's called today) uses the Sky feed but doesn't show any of the video punditry (so-called analysis). Not sure I'd want to be the lawyer who agrees all this minutiae.
Everyone uses the same video feeds, known as the “world feed”. All the footage is controlled by F1 and the individual commentators talk over the same footage