jamcg

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by jamcg »

Well yuki’s cars fucked
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

jamcg wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:13 pm Well yuki’s cars fucked
What happened? I missed Q1 and most of Q2.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Lost it into chicane, gathered it but it wasn’t fully under control so just washed out into seconds corner and went backwards into barrier

jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Ooh, wet start!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Good race considering the track is difficult to overtake. What are the views on the VB/GR incident?

This season continues to look promising.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That was epic. I *think* GR is at fault, but it is very difficult to tell from the video I've seen. It is very much on the margins, so happy to be convinced otherwise.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

The analysis on C4 certainly makes it seem like Russell's fault. Very entertaining race, there was a lot going on here. Great recovery from Hamilton and impressive drive from Norris.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yeah I thought Russell seemed to overreact a bit and went on the grass. That said Bottas should maybe not be so shit whereby he spends lap after lap stuck behind slower cars in the midfield.

It’s funny that the whole mess of a chain of events was started by Merc’s poor pit stop on Hamilton though.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

I enjoy very much. LH very lucky to get anything today, let alone 19 points.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Why couldn't VB make his way through the field? He started around the same spot the LH found himself in at the restart, and LH was cruising past everyone quite easily.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Looks like we might get a season long fight for the WDC between Ver and Ham. Happy days. I am also hoping that RB follow their usual form of coming on strong in the second half of the season.

Ferrari are doing far better than I expected and Aston and Alpine are the opposite. Wonder of This is the last season of Bottas and a few others.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Worth mentioning Mclaren, they had some serious pace. Norris was actually very close to being in with a shout of pole position which is pretty crazy.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Norris certainly showing up DR on the day (beyond a better start from Ric). Have not heard of any problems with his car to explain the lack of pace.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

RobYob wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:39 am Norris certainly showing up DR on the day (beyond a better start from Ric). Have not heard of any problems with his car to explain the lack of pace.
Remember it is only his second race in the car. It took a few races to get on top of the Hulk consistently at Renault. I must admit I thought it would be far closer but Lando is an outstanding driver.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Although his race was eventful, have RB found someone who can at least get close to Max on pace in Perez? On single lap pace I thought he looked quite strong.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I think Norris drove an excellent race.

Regarding the VB/GR incident, I think George thought Valteri squeezed him onto the grass when in actual fact he was merely following the line of the track. Judging by his later tweets, I reckon George has realised he overreacted a tad. I guess it's easily done when the adrenaline's pumping.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
GG.

Post by GG. »

On first viewing I thought GR was to blame. Then I saw the camera angle from further behind and I believe there was a small jink across right by VB before he then jinked left to avoid the accident that happened anyway.

Pretty impossible to tell exactly what he was thinking/did without being inside VB's head. You could well argue that, irrespective of whether he did anything intentional, he should have known GR was there as he had to be following sub-1 second past the trigger point to get DRS and therefore should not have followed the racing line to close the door on him as he should have anticipated he'd be coming alongside at 200mph. Then again, racing drivers are not usually that forgiving.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Delphi wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:23 am I think Norris drove an excellent race.

Regarding the VB/GR incident, I think George thought Valteri squeezed him onto the grass when in actual fact he was merely following the line of the track. Judging by his later tweets, I reckon George has realised he overreacted a tad. I guess it's easily done when the adrenaline's pumping.
I'd agree. I watched it back a few times, and it all happens at the point where the track kinks left a touch. VB follows the natural line, but still leaves GR with a car's width. That natural line though does mean it looks as though he jinks across. Definitely doesn't though and there's little he could have done, other than to actually jink left to exactly follow the line of the circuit - and you wouldn't do that at that speed.

A combination of over-enthusiasm from GR and unfortunate timing regarding the exact location on the track