No F1 thread?

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by Rich B »

I’m with Mito on this - the no 2 driver should either be a support role for the no 1, or a future no 1 driver.

Why pick someone old who will just clash with your current champion?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep he’ll just turn the team toxic, he’s fucked every team he’s joined.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Rumours of Rus to Mercedes in 2022 to replace Ham.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:46 am Why would LH want to go to Ferrari? Unless Merc falters in the performance stakes he appears to have the very best deal and opportunity on the grid.
Depends whether a driver wants to add to their championship tally in a team they know or be remembered as a multiple world champion who also managed to turn around the fortunes of one of the sports most iconic teams especially as two of his main, multiple championship winning, rivals over the past decade have failed to do so.
Cheers, Harry
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:39 am
DeskJockey wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:46 am Why would LH want to go to Ferrari? Unless Merc falters in the performance stakes he appears to have the very best deal and opportunity on the grid.
Depends whether a driver wants to add to their championship tally in a team they know or be remembered as a multiple world champion who also managed to turn around the fortunes of one of the sports most iconic teams especially as two of his main, multiple championship winning, rivals over the past decade have failed to do so.
True, but it risks tainting his legacy and given how much they're struggling it is a tall order.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Ferrari never recovered from the testing ban and are yet to win a championship since. Their greatest resource was having drivers lapping almost continuously at Fiorano to keep developing the car through the season and now this is clearly their weakest area. Every year recently they start with a strong car which just gets weaker race by race.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’m not sure just how much influence a driver can have at a team like Ferrari. Sure, a younger, less experienced team will benefit from a great technical driver being able to fully push the car and give feedback to the engineering teams, but Ferrari’s problem isn’t balance, or lack of understanding. It’s just not fast enough. They don’t need LH to tell them that.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:10 am Rumours of Rus to Mercedes in 2022 to replace Ham.
Merc have an option on George Russell don’t they? If Lewis gets to 7 titles he’ll want #8 to get ahead of Schuey. So that gives him 2019-2021 to win those 3 more. Sorted.
Left over crest; tightens.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Also, Gasly under threat at RB.
Left over crest; tightens.
GG.

Post by GG. »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:16 am
integrale_evo wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:39 am
True, but it risks tainting his legacy and given how much they're struggling it is a tall order.
I would not expect him to risk going anywhere voluntarily until he's tried his best to eclipse Schumis 7 titles, as Jon notes.

That having been said, even if he wins this year and next he'd only match him on 7 and then the new regs come in for the 2021 season. That has the possibility to change things up significantly and if Ferrari were suddenly well ahead of Mercedes, he could move to try and win number 8. Unless he's developed the ability to see into the future (you could argue with the move from McLaren to Merc move he had!), that would be likely 2022 if it happened... and he'd be 37/8 at that point I think so his career could be over in reality.

Plus that's contingent on Merc not successfully developing a pack leading car in 2021 and Ferrari managing to do what they haven't managed in the hybrid era.

All seems quite unlikely.
Last edited by GG. on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

JonMad wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:53 pm Also, Gasly under threat at RB.
Gasley looked great against Hartley but looks decidedly average against a phenomenal driver like Max.

But who would they replace him with? They had to get a reject out of the bin to get two drivers at STR. Tictum is falling out of favour as he's struggling to get a superduper licence.

Ricciardo has a break clause in his Renault contract if Mercedes or Ferrari come knocking. Would you rather have Vet or Ric driving for you?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:06 pm
Gasley looked great against Hartley but looks decidedly average against a phenomenal driver like Max.

But who would they replace him with? They had to get a reject out of the bin to get two drivers at STR. Tictum is falling out of favour as he's struggling to get a superduper licence.

Ricciardo has a break clause in his Renault contract if Mercedes or Ferrari come knocking. Would you rather have Vet or Ric driving for you?
Ric. He seems nicer and genuinely hungry. He's got something to prove. I think Vet has lost the edge. Still a formidable driver on a good day, but they seem further and further apart.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Here’s my thoughts, Ocon - he’s not that good is he? He might not even be better than Bottas. I certainly don’t remember him being very impressive against the always average Perez. Seems more trouble than he’s worth as he’s always crashing.

Russell - impossible to judge how good he is as he’s in such a shit car against an ever worse team mate and they’re both in a different chassis even. Definitely needs another year in a better team. Even then there’s no guarantee, apparently Gasley was impressive in the Toro Rosso - but I never noticed him last year. Maybe it was just because he had a shit team mate, like Russell.

Kvyat - I’d promote him to Red Bull now, he’s a better driver and what’s the point of having him waste a seat at Toro Rosso if he’s never going to get promoted. Let him drive the rest of the season at Red Bull and if he’s shit give him the boot.

Ricciardo - Put him in the Mercedes, he’ll be a solid number 2.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:11 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:06 pm

Ric. He seems nicer and genuinely hungry. He's got something to prove. I think Vet has lost the edge. Still a formidable driver on a good day, but they seem further and further apart.
This. He's also better for PR as he's a) likeable and always seem to be having fun and 2) of Italian parentage so there's a connection to the brand and home crowd.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:20 pm Russell - impossible to judge how good he is as he’s in such a shit car against an ever worse team mate and they’re both in a different chassis even. Definitely needs another year in a better team. Even then there’s no guarantee, apparently Gasley was impressive in the Toro Rosso - but I never noticed him last year. Maybe it was just because he had a shit team mate, like Russell.
I wonder how much the struggling Williams F1 team recieved to release Bottas from his contract early.

I wonder how much Mercedes would pay to put Russell in a Racing Point for a couple of years.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

I don't think Gasly will last long, he's been giving a lot of criticism from RB.
M235i
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Alex_ wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:49 pm I don't think Gasly will last long, he's been giving a lot of criticism from RB.
Quite rightly, too. Sainz is only 5 points behind him in the McLaren.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Sainz has been doing brilliantly this year, though.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

It’s funny isn’t it, last year it was looking like no one would change drivers in the 2019 summer break for the 2020 season as there is a big shake up coming for 2021 anyway and here we are this year it’s a ‘well they’ve been a bit poor and we’ve got nothing to lose, might as well see if we can get someone better in before the shake up’.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just filmed this a few hours ago. The feels man.