No F1 thread?

GG.

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by GG. »

Sounds implausible. The guns surely will do up to a set torque so you can't overtighten?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I'd expect the guns to have some sort of mechanism that doesn't allow them to go without being set fully on the nut to save stripping the outside of the nut , and like GG says, if the gun was set on tighten, it's only going to go as tight on the threads as it's supposed too.
mik

Post by mik »

Apparently the guy used to work at kwik-fit. So now it figures.
mik

Post by mik »

Marv

Post by Marv »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:13 am From the brief clip they showed it looked more like the outside of the nut had stripped, I don’t know if any other channels saw more detail?
I'm sure I saw metal filings flying off from around the wheel in the Ch4 highlights.

Was a boring race. FIA should just buy a load of powerful go karts and let the drivers fight it out properly 😁
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Dremelled off. Wonder how long that will take :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Marv wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:44 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:13 am From the brief clip they showed it looked more like the outside of the nut had stripped, I don’t know if any other channels saw more detail?
I'm sure I saw metal filings flying off from around the wheel in the Ch4 highlights.

Was a boring race. FIA should just buy a load of powerful go karts and let the drivers fight it out properly 😁
This, I'm now wondering if Ferrari or Redbull sneakily put some tungsten chips inside the socket :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:45 pm Dremelled off. Wonder how long that will take :lol:
I read that and assumed it was a satirical article. :?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Beany wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:49 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:45 pm Dremelled off. Wonder how long that will take :lol:
I read that and assumed it was a satirical article. :?
Same here!!!

Shit happens, considering the speed at which they do things it’s not a surprise that the gun was going before being fully engaged and made the lumpy thing smooth.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Meh, just find a slightly smaller size and mash it on with a sledge hammer 🤣
Cheers, Harry
Foz

Post by Foz »

All that glitters..
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Meanwhile this weeks work experience kid with his dremel...
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Mito Man wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:57 pm
Cool how you can see the gold direction "latch" flick automatically from loosen to tighten on disengagement.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

At least it's going ACW! Presumably if there is only a 'north-south' engagement then there was a risk involved if the gun hit at 90 degrees. Presumably why the they guy was moving the gun to try to get the engagement. I guess Toto's Africa was correct in blaming the design and not the guy.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I read on Twitter that Toto threw Bottas under the bus a bit. Said that Bottas was partly to blame as he didn't stop in the exact spot in the pit box, meaning the mechanic had to hold the wheel gun at an offset angle, it didn't engage fully and just stripped the nut. Looking at photos of the pitstop it's a bit harsh on Bottas, clearly their relationship has soured.

I did see a fleet of Mercedes AMG F1 lorries returning back to base on the M20 last night. Had a chuckle thinking that cars probably still there with the wheel on.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:49 pm I read on Twitter that Toto threw Bottas under the bus a bit. Said that Bottas was partly to blame as he didn't stop in the exact spot in the pit box, meaning the mechanic had to hold the wheel gun at an offset angle, it didn't engage fully and just stripped the nut. Looking at photos of the pitstop it's a bit harsh on Bottas, clearly their relationship has soured.

I did see a fleet of Mercedes AMG F1 lorries returning back to base on the M20 last night. Had a chuckle thinking that cars probably still there with the wheel on.
He didn't though. HE was asked what had happened and he said a combination of factors, including the slight change of position due to VB not stopping on his marks, but that happens all the time and it just adds a few tenths as the gun man moves slightly. He then said any incident is multi faceted and not one person's fault.

The impression I got from the whole interview was not that he was blaming VB at all.

Inside LIne and seemingly all Motorsport websites have pretty much written him off for next year though, a lot of speculation that GR will be alongside Lewis next year.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Gavin wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:16 am Inside LIne and seemingly all Motorsport websites have pretty much written him off for next year though, a lot of speculation that GR will be alongside Lewis next year.
If it happened it would be great, I don't mind VB but he's had his chance and shown that he doesn't have what it takes to consistently duel with the elite drivers. GR deserves a shot to show he can be the future of the team, what better yardstick than to go up against LH.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

duncs500 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:27 am
Gavin wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:16 am Inside LIne and seemingly all Motorsport websites have pretty much written him off for next year though, a lot of speculation that GR will be alongside Lewis next year.
If it happened it would be great, I don't mind VB but he's had his chance and shown that he doesn't have what it takes to consistently duel with the elite drivers. GR deserves a shot to show he can be the future of the team, what better yardstick than to go up against LH.
Surely when GR passed him twice on his first race in the car, his career, long term with Merc was over.

As you say, VB is a nice guy and a really talented driver but he is a DC or a Rubens, great on their day, but perhaps not quite at the very to, like Alonso was and Max and Lewis are.

If the 2022 regs tighten the field you could have so many teams with really good driver line ups fighting for wins. Lando, Sainz, Leclerc, Russell as well as Ricciardo Perez etc. Even Vettel looks to be recovering his form so Aston Martin could be in with a shout.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Gavin wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:25 am
duncs500 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:27 am
Surely when GR passed him twice on his first race in the car, his career, long term with Merc was over.
I'd be inclined to agree, but F1 has a habit of throwing up the odd surprise.