No F1 thread?

jamcg

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by jamcg »

Charles just drove around on an installation lap and said “no, no, no, it’s the gearbox guys” they’ve just wheeled him into the garage
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Pit lane start

Edit- now not starting at all. Poor guy
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Nice job by Ferrari, 2 inspections and it was still shagged.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:44 pm Nice job by Ferrari, 2 inspections and it was still shagged.
On the side that didn’t impact the wall apparently
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Meh one of those things. If he'd taken a 5 place penalty he wouldn't have won anyway, so the gamble was understandable.

Have enjoyed merc having a tough day, so far.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

They really do need to get rid of Monaco though, don’t they?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep. Bar qualifying it doesn't seem to be as much of a challenge as its hyped up to be either. The fact all the drivers get out afterwards without barely breaking a sweat says it all really. 78 laps of driving round a train in relatively pedestrian speeds, about 4 of those laps being push laps to undercut or overcut...
It was all over once Bottas was told to show his pace but just ended up lapping a second slower than Verstappen in typical lacklustre fashion, no doubt he's whining in the post race interviews that he'd have won it if it weren't for that shit stop :lol:

Maybe I'd enjoy Monaco more if I was drunk on a super yacht. With cocaine. Lots of cocaine.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

jamcg wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:08 pm They really do need to get rid of Monaco though, don’t they?
This, keep it as an exhibition race or whatever, it’s a joke otherwise.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just give them the Formula 3 cars to hoon around in for 20 minutes.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That was very boring. Good call by Aston's strategists, but rest was entirely meh. Get it off the calendar.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I saw only one overtake in the entire race, which was Schumacher on Marzipan at the back. Dull as usual, quali was actually the best bit of the weekend.

Edit - I guess Alfonso got a couple at the start, but I didn't see a replay.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Quali is always the highlight of Monaco. Race is always a snoozefest (unless it rains).

I do feel for Bottas. On his best day he can get close to Lewis and every now and then beat him but if I am watching a race with Bottas just in front of Lewis I assume a pass will happen. If Bottas is behind Lewis I assume the race is over.

Doesn't help when things like a threaded wheel nut hump his day.
mik

Post by mik »

Gavin wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:09 am
Doesn't help when things like a threaded wheel nut hump his day.
This does appear to be a real issue that F1 (all motorsport with single hub nuts) hasn’t solved yet. Surely the nuts are sacrificial, so accidental x-thread leaves the shaft thread intact and ready for a great nut? And since it is a low-frequency reality, I am surprised there isn’t some sort of custom battery powered high speed nut splitter pre-set for size and waiting to be deployed... :?:

(Edit - possibly cos an F1 wheel nut looks pretty unlike a normal hexagonal nut nowadays I guess?)
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

From the brief clip they showed it looked more like the outside of the nut had stripped, I don’t know if any other channels saw more detail?

If it was the thread you’d have thought the bloke pulling the wheel while the nut was spinning would have wound it off.

Could even have been the safety device designed to stop the nut coming off if it come loose failing and jamming it on.
Cheers, Harry
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

The problem is that there was NOTHING happening on track. When Danny Ric was struggling with a sick car and no-one could pass, there was drama (even if it does highlight the issue with F1 cars at the track). There just wasn't any drama at all. Part of that blame has to lie with the Monaco TV director. Apparently they have their own tv director which explains why it wasn't up to the usual standard. Even the F2 races (which were good races!) had the same issue. He cut away from Sainte Devote on the first lap just as someone piled into the wall in the background.

As for improvements, you need to make the big lardy cars much smaller, put 60 degrees of banking on all the corners between Mirabeau Haute and Portier and make that section like a marble run or (and this is my serious answer) Remove the Nouvelle Chicane and reprofile Tabac to have a wider entry and sharper radius to make a hard braking area.

Or realise it's had it's day and leave it to Formulas 2, 3, 4 and E.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:13 am From the brief clip they showed it looked more like the outside of the nut had stripped, I don’t know if any other channels saw more detail?

If it was the thread you’d have thought the bloke pulling the wheel while the nut was spinning would have wound it off.

Could even have been the safety device designed to stop the nut coming off if it come loose failing and jamming it on.
I’ve seen articles confirming this- the wheel gun stripped the tightening and loosening faces off so the nut can’t be turned. They’re having to cut or break the nut off. Apparently Ferrari are loaning them a big hammer. Possibly the same one they used to break Charles heart
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

So the mechanic presumably didn’t have the wheel gun socket seated all the way in before going full dagga dagga. I wonder if there’s one chap who just isn’t very good. Seems like it’s always the front wheels which are slow.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:50 am So the mechanic presumably didn’t have the wheel gun socket seated all the way in before going full dagga dagga. I wonder if there’s one chap who just isn’t very good. Seems like it’s always the front wheels which are slow.
They take the most heat, rear brakes do virtually nothing in modern f1 with the regenerative braking
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Mito Man wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:50 am So the mechanic presumably didn’t have the wheel gun socket seated all the way in before going full dagga dagga. I wonder if there’s one chap who just isn’t very good. Seems like it’s always the front wheels which are slow.
I saw someone on the toob claiming that the mechanic mistakenly had the gun on 'do up', but haven't re-watched the clip to check that yet. Hilarious, if true.
mik

Post by mik »

mr_jon wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:22 pm
I saw someone on the toob claiming that the mechanic mistakenly had the gun on 'do up', but haven't re-watched the clip to check that yet. Hilarious, if true.
One side of the car has left-hand-threads so it isn’t outwith the realms of possibility to mix things up....