No F1 thread?

GG.

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by GG. »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:45 pm The cars sound really rough onboard this year, more so than previous years - maybe they’ve moved the mics.
I thought this too. Also a lot of whooshing overlaid on top as if they’ve put the mic right in front of the airbox.

Great last lap by Lando.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I watched the Sky coverage and just watched the race show and a bit of the aftermath. I thought it was a cracking race, great to see Lando on the podium too. Real shame for Albon though, 2 races in the last few where Lewis has punted him off.

Looks like Ferrari are nowhere, although in normal races may well be Merc then a very close bunch behind. Would love to see Bottas win the WC, or Max. Just be nice to have a change frankly.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Gavin wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:23 am I watched the Sky coverage and just watched the race show and a bit of the aftermath. I thought it was a cracking race, great to see Lando on the podium too. Real shame for Albon though, 2 races in the last few where Lewis has punted him off.

Looks like Ferrari are nowhere, although in normal races may well be Merc then a very close bunch behind. Would love to see Bottas win the WC, or Max. Just be nice to have a change frankly.
Punted off is a bit strong. More like a racing incident to me - Lewis was on the tightest line and didn't look like he unwound the lock to me. It was Albon's overenthusiasm and lack of experience that played the larger part in him ending up going off. I wouldn't say Ferrari are nowhere either, given CL finished 3rd on the track...
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

As you say, he didn't unwind lock so he certainly didn't slam the door on him. I think it's a bit harsh to cite Albon's lack of experience though, it was a good move, on another day they bump wheels, Albon makes it stick and he's a hero. He was unlucky, but I think he did the right thing by going for it.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I don't think it's harsh - a more experienced driver would have understood that there would be a risk of actually being pushed wide there and not cut back across so quickly. If anything LH gave him more space than many others would have and he still managed to knock himself off. Other drivers managed to pull the same move at that corner without issue.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I thought it was 50/50, then again I don’t rate Albon too highly compared to his peers.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:34 am
Gavin wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:23 am I watched the Sky coverage and just watched the race show and a bit of the aftermath. I thought it was a cracking race, great to see Lando on the podium too. Real shame for Albon though, 2 races in the last few where Lewis has punted him off.

Punted off is a bit strong. More like a racing incident to me - Lewis was on the tightest line and didn't look like he unwound the lock to me. It was Albon's overenthusiasm and lack of experience that played the larger part in him ending up going off. I wouldn't say Ferrari are nowhere either, given CL finished 3rd on the track...
i agree, Ferrari were shit in quali, but their race pace was ok and they made up a lot of positions (Vettel was crap).

Ham/Alb was just one of those things, I think Albon should have watched his inside rear wheel better as he was more likely to Lose out if/when they touched and Hamilton shouldn’t have closed the gap quite as much.

I think if the places were switched Hamilton would have put a wheel off the track rather than into Albons front wheel, then they both would have carried on racing.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I've just watched it back. HAM doesn't open the steering at all, and Albon doesn't even get on the kerbs before they touch...There's comfortably a car's width for Albon

I thought it was probably a fair penalty at the time given the outcome for Albon, but now I think LH was unfairly done tbh.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:20 pm I've just watched it back. HAM doesn't open the steering at all, and Albon doesn't even get on the kerbs before they touch...There's comfortably a car's width for Albon

I thought it was probably a fair penalty at the time given the outcome for Albon, but now I think LH was unfairly done tbh.
his front left was almost at the white line on the exit of the corner, he clearly closed the door on a car that was ahead of him. But yeah, Albon could have easily used Lots more kerb To save the collision.
mik

Post by mik »

Hambone had plenty of time to see Albon and react, but he chose not to leave room. Which is OK - he’s racing - but I think a penalty was fair, and to be fair to MrH - he hasn’t really complained too hard about it.

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:35 pm Hambone had plenty of time to see Albon and react, but he chose not to leave room.
React how? He was already on full lock. And there was definitely a full car width available between him and the kerbs.

Haven't managed to find any onboard from Albon's to compare what he does in the corner.
mik

Post by mik »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:47 pm
mik wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:35 pm Hambone had plenty of time to see Albon and react, but he chose not to leave room.
React how? He was already on full lock.
Was not!

Looks

Marv

Post by Marv »

Mik, are you comparing at 2011 car racing at Monaco, to a 2020 car racing at Austria? :lol:

IIRC, they use a different steering rack at Monaco, due to the tight turns.

The penalty on Hamilton was harsh. Lewis clearly maintained the amount of steering lock he applied when exiting the corner and didn't ease off any angle to run wide into Alex.

This being F1, I expect they'll be several very similar incidents and the stewards will be inconsistent with handing out penalties.
Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »

I am suggesting you are not looking at full lock being applied.

I am not suggesting the penalty was harsh or lenient - just that a penalty of some sort seemed appropriate.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Maintaining the same steering lock does not mean he didn’t ease Alb off - unless you’re saying all race tracks have totally constant corners and all cars stay consistent distance from the edges all the way round!

As I said, Albon clearly could have used more road/kerb and avoided the collision, but Hamilton could have lifted slightly to miss the car that was ahead of him. Racing incident from two drivers being fairly aggressive (which is how they should be).
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:38 pm Maintaining the same steering lock does not mean he didn’t ease Alb off - unless you’re saying all race tracks have totally constant corners and all cars stay consistent distance from the edges all the way round!

As I said, Albon clearly could have used more road/kerb and avoided the collision, but Hamilton could have lifted slightly to miss the car that was ahead of him. Racing incident from two drivers being fairly aggressive (which is how they should be).
Would be interesting to see the telemetry to see if HAM did lift at all. Also I've no idea what lock they would have been capacble of. HAM was still in the middle of the track though at the point they collided...

But if it was a racing incident (which is what I'd say it was) then there shouldn't be a penalty
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

It looks like the stewards are just as rusty as the other teams and drivers. Ultimately Lewis came off better despite the penalty, we’ve seen 5 second penalties handed out for far, far worse things and the driver who gets the penalty rarely has a massive disadvantage because of the penalty, unlike the other car involved which usually drops a long way back and never comes close to recovering their lost places.

If they’re going to dish out penalties they may as well make them worth their while, if a driver makes a mistake and costs another driver a points finish (or worse, puts them completely out the race) then what good is a five second penalty if said driver can disappear off and claim a points finish, a podium or even disappear so far off into the distance that they can negate any time penalty applied and still win the race?

I’m with DC on it, we should reduce the penalties down to the absolute minimum (e.g. keep the ones to stop them cutting corners for a faster lap time or exceeding track limits to overtake like Max once did on Kimi) and just let them race.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I'm glad others think it was just a racing incident, interference is one of the reasons I stopped being a fan.

This race was great.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Binotto out, now on borrowed time until they find a replacement

“Camilleri, speaking in a statement issued by the team, said he had "every confidence" in team principal Mattia Binotto and the rest of the team to "address our shortcomings".”

Ferrari bring forward car upgrades for Styrian Grand Prix https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53309834