No F1 thread?

Mito Man

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by Mito Man »

Not much was said of the circuit changes from last week and why. They extended the curb at Beckets back to 2019 spec. I don’t know why it was shortened for 2020 causing the cars to run off onto the grass (not due to the cars having more downforce and running wider as some of the more moronic tv pundits said...).
Pirelli investigation found cuts to tired caused by running onto grass then the curb which caused cuts and sudden failure.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The ‘new’ layout was more about improving the pit lane and facilities which simply wouldn’t fit where the old ones were. It doesn’t really seem to add much to the racing although it did make use of the Wellington straight which the old go layout missed out on.

Unfortunately it also got rid of bridge corner which was always exciting to watch.

I’m guessing it added a bit more length to the track too.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think it must have just been about getting the track longer. The new pits are on the old circuit, surely if they wanted more space they would have build them on the Wellington Straight which is much longer than where they’re currently situated. Looking on google maps the old layout still exists completely so you could in theory run a classic Silverstone race and use all the new facilities.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Technically I think the abbey chicane is still there, but it’s never used any more.

They used to run events using the gp circuit whilst having other stuff on the Wellington straight which they can’t do any more.

Plus the new pit exit leads you out the wrong way to be able to take it, so no chance of using those pits on the classic layout.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They would have to do a Abu Dhabi style pit exit under the track 😂

Any idea what’s going on to the south of the track? Looks like an old road or runway which has just had grass planted over it with woods either side. Looked really weird in the helicopter flybys.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:15 pm They would have to do a Abu Dhabi style pit exit under the track 😂

Any idea what’s going on to the south of the track? Looks like an old road or runway which has just had grass planted over it with woods either side. Looked really weird in the helicopter flybys.
Bored in my lunch break so found this. It's a relic of 18th century landscape architecture. https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/stowe/ ... d-at-stowe

On Google earth satellite view you can see how the designs in that article match up with the current day tree / grass cover.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Pete_ wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:57 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:15 pm They would have to do a Abu Dhabi style pit exit under the track 😂

Bored in my lunch break so found this. It's a relic of 18th century landscape architecture. https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/stowe/ ... d-at-stowe

On Google earth satellite view you can see how the designs in that article match up with the current day tree / grass cover.
Hmm that seems to be further south, present day Stowe School.
John

Post by John »

duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

John wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:50 pm This is quite entertaining

https://twitter.com/i/status/1292806004682436609
Won't be so chummy if one ends up dominating the other next season! :-D
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Ha. Great stuff
Marv

Post by Marv »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:09 pm

Won't be so chummy if one ends up dominating the other next season! :-D
Will be very interesting to see how it plays out, with how they compare. I think both of them are really quick and have really good race craft. Suspect it'll be very close.
Oui, je suis un motard.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Both Norris and Russell have impressed me this year. When Hamilton finally retires they'll be able to carry on flying the flag for the Brits.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I’d love to see George in something more competitive, he’s doing a superb job this season given what he’s got to work with
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Anyone reading the crap the FIA are coming up with to try and hinder Mercedes? Quali mode bans from the Belgian GP and reducing downforce for next year so that the Pirelli tyres don’t fall apart - why not just use the harder compounds...
They’ve managed to argue that by essentially making the floors much simpler and said it’s a safety requirement so the tyres don’t blow thereby meaning the teams can’t vote on the issue.

Not sure what’s in it for Mercedes to bother continuing after this year.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Well Hamilton at least has always said he welcomes closer racing with Max and Charles etc so the result should be good, but it does seem a little contrived but if they do nothing many will moan about the Mercs walking away from the field race after race and with the regs to stay the same for 2021(or so we were told) and the big change into 2022 now, perhaps they feel a sticking plaster of any kind to close the field up is ultimately a god thing.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Unless it backfires spectacularly. We know the Mercedes engine is the most reliable and most fuel efficient so imagine it can safely run on a higher engine mode as standard compared to Honda or Ferrari which can do a few laps before going bang.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

There's plenty they could do to make the racing closer. The winner is the one with the best strategy and tyre management. Qualifying is the race (for a good start). Sunday is for the strategist's 😜
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There really isn’t though if you look at history, unless they make it a one make series which is very slowly what they’re getting towards it seems. Or just go completely artificial with BoP.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:46 am Unless it backfires spectacularly. We know the Mercedes engine is the most reliable and most fuel efficient so imagine it can safely run on a higher engine mode as standard compared to Honda or Ferrari which can do a few laps before going bang.
Basically this is what I’m expecting- if full fat qualifying mode is 3 and standard race mode is 1, I’m expecting them to just run at 1.5/2 permanently. They’ll be slightly slower in qualifying but I expect them to be faster in the race.

The telling thing about what this will do is q1 and q2, where Mercedes don’t usually use the party mode, saving it for q3 only- they are still consistently ahead in those sessions so not sure what this will change