No F1 thread?

Orange Cola

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:20 am My favourite thing about Lewis winning title number 6 is the number of people on various comments sections still declaring that Lewis just isn’t that good a driver. One comment “he lacks raw talent”. OK there, Sparky.
:lol:

I thought the Ferrari thing was down to them running a rubbish aero set up on a handling track then I read the comments about the FIA investigation. It reminded me of when Ferrari used to smoke the garage out starting the car and the jump in engine performance which went with it. The other teams complained and Ross Brawn paid Ferrari a visit, after that the plumes of smoke stopped and the performance dropped back in line with everyone else but nothing was formally declared as illegal.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That’s what makes Mercedes and Hamilton even more impressive. Whilst Ferrari have used questionable tactics in both the team and the driver Mercedes and Hamilton have defeated them in honest fashion year on year.

Remember when Ferrari were hiding their cameras last year (still not clear if they were cooling the airbox or just hiding steering settings). Or when they had the blatantly illegal wing mirrors but were allowed to race with them for one race. Vettel’s secret third “clutch” paddle.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

They’re all at it. Merc just don’t get caught. Don’t forget, Merc used to be Brawn of the double diffuser.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The double diffuser was deemed to be legal though :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:06 am The double diffuser was deemed to be legal though :lol:
But it was a grey area until it was clarified by the FIA.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:46 am
Mito Man wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:06 am The double diffuser was deemed to be legal though :lol:
Plus they'd have looked fvcking stupid ruling it illegal given Brawn had asked them a few times in the pre-season as to whether his interpretation of the regs was within the realms
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:15 pm That’s what makes Mercedes and Hamilton even more impressive. Whilst Ferrari have used questionable tactics in both the team and the driver Mercedes and Hamilton have defeated them in honest fashion year on year.

Remember when Ferrari were hiding their cameras last year (still not clear if they were cooling the airbox or just hiding steering settings). Or when they had the blatantly illegal wing mirrors but were allowed to race with them for one race. Vettel’s secret third “clutch” paddle.
We never did get to the bottom of the paddle did we?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:54 am They’re all at it. Merc just don’t get caught. Don’t forget, Merc used to be Brawn of the double diffuser.
If Merc are at it then they’re far less blatant about it :lol:
Marv

Post by Marv »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:36 pm
Plus they'd have looked fvcking stupid ruling it illegal given Brawn had asked them a few times in the pre-season as to whether his interpretation of the regs was within the realms
Did the FIA actually deem the double diffusers illegal at the time? I thought they allowed them to be used for the rest of 2009, but tightened up the rules for 2010, to effectively ban them. From there, the next big innovation was exhaust blown diffusers which Newry/RBR pioneered.

On the subject of Hamilton, I'm glad he's lived up to his potential. It's really impressed me how much of a driver he's become since those early, scrappy days. It's pretty hard to criticise his race craft now.

I think one thing that marks him out above alot of the other 'greats' is that I can't think of many times when he's driven like a dick and used underhanded race tactics, to try and get one over his rivals.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Marv wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:54 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:36 pm

Did the FIA actually deem the double diffusers illegal at the time? I thought they allowed them to be used for the rest of 2009, but tightened up the rules for 2010, to effectively ban them. From there, the next big innovation was exhaust blown diffusers which Newry/RBR pioneered.

On the subject of Hamilton, I'm glad he's lived up to his potential. It's really impressed me how much of a driver he's become since those early, scrappy days. It's pretty hard to criticise his race craft now.

I think one thing that marks him out above alot of the other 'greats' is that I can't think of many times when he's driven like a dick and used underhanded race tactics, to try and get one over his rivals.
He was pretty much faultless in his first few seasons to be fair. It was the year he kept skelping Massa that was his crappy period.

I agree though, for all the "You have to be a ruthless character to win big" when justifying questionable tactics from Senna, Schumacher. Rosberg, Vettel, Lewis has rather put the lie to that as he is clearly driven to succeed but seems to have done so without being a cheating bastard. :)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Different times though, if you weren’t ruthless back then you’d be a pushover and some cunt would throw you out of contention. Now if you rub wheels you get a 5 second penalty as a minimum :lol:
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

back then? Vettel and Rosberg are fairly recent and rubbing wheels back in the day could land you in the morgue. This season rubbing is racing seems to be the mantra for the stewards and penalties are only being handed out for taking the piss.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Vettel and Rosberg never did anything of major controversy compared to the what most champions before them did, I think F1 had hit such a shit low point that the greatest thing that happened in Vettels career was disobeying team orders - Jesus wept. Rubbing is racing now, but only for the first lap and the stewards only calmed down after the Canadian GP controversy.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:20 pm Vettel and Rosberg never did anything of major controversy
Apart from you know, ruining Hamilton’s car by making sure it broke down.

I’m joking. You know it, we all know it. But why did Hamilton’s car break down so much that one season? :?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

How long are they going to keep flogging Senna...
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:33 pm How long are they going to keep flogging Senna...
They don't have much else and let's face it, we still trot out Sterling Moss at Silverstone. On another note, Bernie Ecclestone seemed confused!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The fecking tyre graphics are back :roll:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think this race can be summed up with with lol.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

What an ending! Ferrari commit suicide, Merc give away 2nd for no reason, Hamilton will surely get a 5 second penalty putting a McLaren into 3rd?
Middle-aged Dirtbag