No F1 thread?

GG.

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by GG. »

Interesting isn't it that only Racing Point gets the fine and penalty - at the end of the day, Mercedes must have given them the internal schematics of the brake ducts to copy...
Last edited by GG. on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

GG. wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:37 am Interesting isn't it that only Racing Point gets the fine and penalty - at the end of the day, Mercedes must have given them the internal schematics of the brake ducts to copy...
As you'll see from the extracts above, they gave them the BD CAD data prior to development of RP's 2019 car. RP used the FBD design in the 19 car, but not the RBD. The RBD was then copied in for the '20 car and therefore contravened the regs. So Merc haven't done anything wrong.
mik

Post by mik »

Interesting indeed - change of regs around brake ducts has caused the issue, and they did indeed receive CAD files from Merc previously - when the regs allowed this for brake ducts. Difficult to argue that one.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Tl:dr version:
In 2019 teams could purchase brake ducts from other teams. In 2020 this was banned and teams had to make their own.

Racing Point continued to use the 2019 duct design they bought from Mercedes for the 2019 season.
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:57 am Tl:dr version:
In 2019 teams could use brake duct designs from other teams. In 2020 this was banned and teams had to design their own.

For the 2020 season Racing Point started to use the 2019 duct design they received from Mercedes for the 2019 season.
EFA
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Perez out for another week. The Hulk back in, let's hope he gets to start the race this time.
M235i
Marv

Post by Marv »

mik wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:51 am Interesting indeed - change of regs around brake ducts has caused the issue, and they did indeed receive CAD files from Merc previously - when the regs allowed this for brake ducts. Difficult to argue that one.
If only they would have renamed the file from mercedesduct.gif to racingpointduct.gif they would have got away with it.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

"Although the design process has been declared illegal, the stewards ruled that Racing Point are able to run the brake ducts for the rest of this season.

The penalty "covers the entire process of (non)-designing of the brake ducts and making them available for use during the whole 2020 season", even though their use "remains an infringement" of the regulations.

The points deduction and fine are considered to be a suitable punishment for the offence."

Just how much would they gain from this Merc brake duct design? Seems like a lenient penalty if it gives RP a significant advantage for the rest of the season.
M235i
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Alex_ wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:03 pm "Although the design process has been declared illegal, the stewards ruled that Racing Point are able to run the brake ducts for the rest of this season.

The penalty "covers the entire process of (non)-designing of the brake ducts and making them available for use during the whole 2020 season", even though their use "remains an infringement" of the regulations.

The points deduction and fine are considered to be a suitable punishment for the offence."

Just how much would they gain from this Merc brake duct design? Seems like a lenient penalty if it gives RP a significant advantage for the rest of the season.
But they also acknowledge that they could have just copied them from photos and acquired probably most if not all of the benefit anyway. It's simply a technicality of the brake ducts changing from a part that can be design shared to not in the intervening period, and RP having already had those designs lying around anyway.

I'd say it's quite a harsh penalty.
mik

Post by mik »

Agreed. Feels like a petty swipe from Renault and a harsh hit from FIA.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Fair point.
M235i
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Crikey they’re going to amend the regulations next year to prevent large scale copying. Will be interesting to see how it’s all enforced as all the cars get inspired from each other.
I thought having identical cars is what Formula 1 wanted 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Didn't take much car time for Hulk to show how superior he is to Stroll. :-D
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

I like it when MB alludes to LS taking some odd lines. Basically a bit shit. When Massa had to show him the lines round Imola 🐱
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Really enjoyed that today for a change. Great drive from Max and LeClerc. LH also for his final stint.

Vettel being rubbish again 😂
Marv

Post by Marv »

Glad that wasn't another Mercedes borefest. Well done to Max...hopefully the first of many this year.
Oui, je suis un motard.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’m surprised we didn’t see a bit more tyre drama. The merc really seemed to be chewing through them at quite a rate, especially the rears.

Lewis’ hard tyres looked in worse shape after 10 laps than Max’s which had been on since the start of the race!
Cheers, Harry
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Wasn't a bad race in the end, albeit I was expecting more drama with the tyres than panned out.

I don't remember Silverstone being such a difficult place to pass - most seemed to be needing to do it on the Hangar atraight with DRS, but even then it seemed like there needed to be a significant speed differential.

Still not sure I like the new sections, which admittedly aren't really new anymore! It still baffles me where they are for a third of the lap until I see them coming into Brooklands.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

http://imgur.com/gallery/qpCnUia

Quite a nice illustration of how the layout has changed over the years