No F1 thread?

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by Gavin »

Orange Cola wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:11 pm What a quali. Max will be a liability on the front row tomorrow, I'm thinking he'll be more Crashstappen than Verstappen, could deny us a good race.
I am struggling to think of any daft mistakes from him recently, he, along with Lewis, has been consistently bloody good for the past year or more? Was it not 2018 for the first 6 or so races Max was being a muppet and since then he stopped the silly darts up the inside etc?

Could be a cracking race, I am enjoying a mixed up field again, even if Merc are still in the lead, at least it is not top3 then everyone else.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Good performance from GR, hopefully he can grab a point today. Need to get him in a good car and see what he can really do.
revsRus
Currently Driving: Mclaren 600LT
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

Last few laps were very good, rest was a bit dull. Pleased to see Mclaren bagging a good few points
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

revsRus wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:54 pm Last few laps were very good, rest was a bit dull.
Totally agree.

Quali was more fun.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yep pretty boring until the last couple of laps. But those laps were great.

Was cheering Norris on again 😀
Cheers, Harry
Marv

Post by Marv »

Yep, Lando is putting in some great racing performances 😎
Oui, je suis un motard.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Did they show where Perez damaged his wing? Did he hit someone or just bounce it off too many curbs?
Cheers, Harry
Marv

Post by Marv »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:02 am Did they show where Perez damaged his wing? Did he hit someone or just bounce it off too many curbs?
Yeah, it contacted with Albon's rear tyre when he got too close.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Renault have lodged a formal complaint about the racing point, Mercedes have to hand over their 2019 brake ducts to the FIA for analysis.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... qqzPb.html
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
mik

Post by mik »

Interesting. I don’t work in F1, but I would be surprised if RP have managed to get Merc to provide their files and/or tooling for RP to make identical parts. And if they had managed to get same via nefarious means, you would expect Merc to be complaining?

Seems much more likely they copied the design - which is Shirley what all of the teams do to collectively move things on? :?

Incidentally - I only saw the first half of the race yesterday, but Christ the cars sound awful. :(
mik

Post by mik »

Marv wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:22 pm Yep, Lando is putting in some great racing performances 😎
Just saw his last 2 laps on twitter. Superb - again.

I don’t watch often enough to know whether this level of instruction from his race engineer is normal now? Certainly seems effective.

Marv

Post by Marv »

mik wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:16 am
I don’t watch often enough to know whether this level of instruction from his race engineer is normal now? Certainly seems effective.

Fairly normal yeah.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

The rumour mill is hotting up, Vettel to replace Perez at Tracing Point because if you’re serious about moving up the field why wouldn’t you take someone on who’s won races and championships at other top flight teams to develop the car?

It would mean Stroll activating a get out clause in Perez contract though.

If it comes off it’s a bit mixed feeling. I think the team are doing superb job on the budget they have and I admire them to taking the fight to the big teams really well. But then I don’t think Ocon should have left and Stroll Jr is only there because of his dad. It feels like they could do themselves a big favour by swapping out their drivers, not sure SV is great in terms of wheel to wheel racing but maybe he can give them a leg up on the development side but for who’s benefit? The other driver won’t really do much with it and SV won’t single handedly drag the car out front into less traffic where there’s less chance of making a mistake...
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I cannot see why they would take Vettel (apart from the cachet of a 4 times champ) over Perez, since blown floors disappeared, he has had very few top level performances, and they have been dwindling over the last few seasons.

Perez makes fewer mistakes and tends to get the most out of his car. I agree, if they were getting rid, it should be Stroll unless he pulls his socks up and gets closer to Perez, but with his dad owning the team that would be a surprise.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Marv wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Fairly normal yeah.
It’s a bit of a shame imo.

Dave!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’m not sure it’s like that a whole race, but can understand it when they’re going balls to the wall in the last few laps wringing every drop they can out of it and risking blowing it up for a decent haul of points.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gavin wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:04 am I cannot see why they would take Vettel (apart from the cachet of a 4 times champ) over Perez, since blown floors disappeared, he has had very few top level performances, and they have been dwindling over the last few seasons.

Perez makes fewer mistakes and tends to get the most out of his car. I agree, if they were getting rid, it should be Stroll unless he pulls his socks up and gets closer to Perez, but with his dad owning the team that would be a surprise.
Perez has been in F1 forever and not really achieved anything. He’s a mid level driver, would probably be a decent 2nd driver.

I’d take Seb over him on driving ability, but if I was Seb I’d not be wanting to go to a mid-field team, it just sounds like the route to a disappointing end to a career.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:35 am
Gavin wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:04 am I cannot see why they would take Vettel (apart from the cachet of a 4 times champ) over Perez, since blown floors disappeared, he has had very few top level performances, and they have been dwindling over the last few seasons.

Perez has been in F1 forever and not really achieved anything. He’s a mid level driver, would probably be a decent 2nd driver.

I’d take Seb over him on driving ability, but if I was Seb I’d not be wanting to go to a mid-field team, it just sounds like the route to a disappointing end to a career.
A bit like Kimi. Falling down the teams and ending up in a car that's not competitive.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I think Kimi is hanging on for the regs change then he’ll go. We could do with a big shake up of drivers and get new ones in.
mik

Post by mik »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:09 am
Marv wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Fairly normal yeah.
It’s a bit of a shame imo.

Dave!
Pour quoi?