No F1 thread?

Mito Man

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by Mito Man »

Szafnauer being the one.

I can’t help but feel that after Ocon’s needless first lap defence and later shit show which allowed Ricciardo to pass both Alpines, Alonso just thought fuck it anything’s better than this. Ocon is French and clearly can’t do anything wrong in Alpine’s eyes.

Piastri must have found a seat elsewhere, perhaps Mclaren. Maybe Herta’s test earlier showed his was just another shit Indycar driver 😂
Edit - it wasn’t Herta, but can’t remember who it was.
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I think it's a bit of a naive move by Piastri to refute so quick. I'd just keep quiet, let the lawyers deal with it, and then either Alpine will have to issue a retraction and admit their error or go and drive for them. He seems to be taking a hell of a gamble on having a seat elsewhere before all the other contract conversations have played out.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Don't know why Marcus Ericsson would know, but it's still on...
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:04 pm I think it's a bit of a naive move by Piastri to refute so quick. I'd just keep quiet, let the lawyers deal with it, and then either Alpine will have to issue a retraction and admit their error or go and drive for them. He seems to be taking a hell of a gamble on having a seat elsewhere before all the other contract conversations have played out.
Surely the only reason he would refute is that he’s signed for someone else?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I keep forgetting Gasley is still around 😂
He’s never going to be in contention of a Red Bull seat so I’m not sure why he’s still in Alpha Tauri.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:45 pm I keep forgetting Gasley is still around 😂
He’s never going to be in contention of a Red Bull seat so I’m not sure why he’s still in Alpha Tauri.
Because he's their lead driver and he's done very well (relatively speaking) out of a midfield team.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:15 pm
duncs500 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:04 pm I think it's a bit of a naive move by Piastri to refute so quick. I'd just keep quiet, let the lawyers deal with it, and then either Alpine will have to issue a retraction and admit their error or go and drive for them. He seems to be taking a hell of a gamble on having a seat elsewhere before all the other contract conversations have played out.
Surely the only reason he would refute is that he’s signed for someone else?
Most likely he thinks he has signed for someone else, but I guess Alpine have lawyers and he has lawyers, they can't all be right. I'm sure it'll all play out the way he wants, just my take that it'd be better to let it all come out in the wash.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Sounds like a decent explanation...

(Alpine seem to have forgotten that they had to take up the option on Piastri by August the 1st, and Piastri will have signed for McLaren to replace Ricciardo.)
Oui, je suis un motard.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Ricciardo off from McLaren, looks like not racing in F1 next year.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

He's done an Alonso. Good driver, Bad choices.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:38 pm He's done an Alonso. Good driver, Bad choices.
Was thinking exactly that.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:26 pm Ricciardo off from McLaren, looks like not racing in F1 next year.
Well presumably Alpine need a driver? :) Although I don't know what sort of cloud he left under last time!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:49 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:26 pm Ricciardo off from McLaren, looks like not racing in F1 next year.
Well presumably Alpine need a driver? :) Although I don't know what sort of cloud he left under last time!
From what I've read there is some sort of clause that stops him racing in F1 next year.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Source?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

mr_jon wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:20 pmSource?
F1.com
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:43 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:38 pm He's done an Alonso. Good driver, Bad choices.
The move from Red Bull was obvious, he'd have suffered the same fate as Webber.

Not sure McLaren being a basket case was predictable at all (his inablity to get the best from it aside)

Fingers crossed he gets a seat for '23.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

RobYob wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:21 am
what, a seat in the fastest car with the opportunity to win races every week, but having to realise that he's not the fastest driver in the team?

I'd rather be there than where he's ended up.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Rich B wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:57 am
RobYob wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:21 am

what, a seat in the fastest car with the opportunity to win races every week, but having to realise that he's not the fastest driver in the team?

I'd rather be there than where he's ended up.
Yeah, I agree. Should have stayed at RBR. Wait for Max to have an unlucky season and take the championship through good luck and consistency, like the year Nico Rosberg won a championship 😉
Oui, je suis un motard.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I’d rather drive last years Williams than have to put up with Christian Horner and Jos verstappen
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Whilst with hindsight it would be better to get more race wins and be in a competitive car, I kind of think to get to the pinnacle of any sport you have to believe that you're the best. So when you're getting consistently beaten you probably prefer to think that your teammate has an unfair advantage than that he's just better than you. Having said that, Red Bull's golden boys probably do get an unfair advantage, but it's probably not that significant.

Ricciardo has had a decent career and some good pay days, but seems like one of those drivers who can only get the best out of certain cars, whereas some can jump in and have pace even if they're not happy.