Strada magazine

simon_g

Strada magazine

Post by simon_g »

Another go at the affordable-ish, modern-ish (80s - 00s) genre. https://stradamagazine.co.uk/

Sticking to 4 issues a year is hopefully sustainable.
mik

Re: Strada magazine

Post by mik »

No mention of the 105TC, let alone the Abarth 130TC. Not the slickest launch. 😕
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Looks interesting, are any of the writers known quantities?
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Nathan Chadwick who's editing has done various Bauer stuff but was assistant ed on Modern Classics for most of the time it existed.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Tempted to subscribe, for the sake of £30 it might be worth a look. Perhaps buying issue one and then subbing on the back of that is a wiser move.

Edit - Ordered one in the end, let's see if it's any good. :)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

What more is there to say about these cars? Pretty short run if they don't have any new subject matter?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

What more is there to say about history? Probably don't need any more books on that subject either.:lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:58 pm What more is there to say about history? Probably don't need any more books on that subject either.:lol:
I thought that there was already a magazine that tried exactly what this one is doing (and failed?) - modern classics or something. There's only so many articles on the same cars people will be interested in.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

simon_g wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:08 am Nathan Chadwick who's editing has done various Bauer stuff but was assistant ed on Modern Classics for most of the time it existed.
So he's gone to Eau Rouge and Kelsey have re-imagined Car Mechanics as Bargain Cars and are going to presumably now recycle all the Modern Classics content over the next few years. At least there's a mag being printed in that space I guess.

I'll give Strada a try for at least one issue, see what occurs.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:37 pm
duncs500 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:58 pm What more is there to say about history? Probably don't need any more books on that subject either.:lol:
I thought that there was already a magazine that tried exactly what this one is doing (and failed?) - modern classics or something. There's only so many articles on the same cars people will be interested in.
To me reading current views on those cars is quite interesting, lots of cars were heroes on release but have lost their shine in comparison to modern equivalents and there are also examples of cars that were not well received at the time unjustifiably.

Maybe it fails, but I'm intrigued enough to chuck a tenner at it.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I never read Modern Classics so that's fine by me. :)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:06 pm I never read Modern Classics so that's fine by me. :)
i said the same when it came out too. Putting a finite range on your subject matter is pretty crazy, especially when paper magazines are already on the way out.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Wonder if/when Modern Classics would have died if COVID hadn’t forced the issue.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:16 pm
duncs500 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:06 pm I never read Modern Classics so that's fine by me. :)
i said the same when it came out too. Putting a finite range on your subject matter is pretty crazy, especially when paper magazines are already on the way out.
Spend 10 years working your way through the back catalogue then you can add the 2010s to the agenda! :lol:

Seriously though, at four issues a year I think that there's enough cars in 30 years to keep them going a good while.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:43 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:16 pm
Spend 10 years working your way through the back catalogue then you can add the 2010s to the agenda! :lol:

Seriously though, at four issues a year I think that there's enough cars in 30 years to keep them going a good while.
good luck doing it better than the likes of evo have already done!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Evo were comparing new cars; classics of exactly the same model are different in both price and usability. The stories won’t be exploring what the new release is like, they’ll be exploring whether the car still lives up to what we already know with the benefit of hindsight.

Having said that there are very few classic car mag articles which are worth reading. They’re mostly lacking any depth or insight because they’re written by enthusiasts rather than people with journalism training and experience. In fact, it’s articles in mags like Evo featuring a classic which tend to be the best. So I’m not going to bother with Strada for that reason. As well as the lack of robot-built Fiats.
mik

Post by mik »

Like evo - they have an Italian version of the mag. It will - of course - be marketed as Ritmo.

/predictable
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:16 pm Evo were comparing new cars; classics of exactly the same model are different in both price and usability. The stories won’t be exploring what the new release is like, they’ll be exploring whether the car still lives up to what we already know with the benefit of hindsight.
evo of course was focused on new cars, but regularly had articles on older iconic cars, plus it often chucked them in as comparisons to newer cars. Stuff like Integrales, ITRs, e30 M3, etc...

Good luck to them, hope they don't go the same way as all the others who've tried the same.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

First issue arrived, possibly the heaviest magazine I've ever held, must be equivalent of 3 or 4 issues of Car. Looks good from a first skim through.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Surely The Road Rat is heavier - they even specifically mention the weight :lol: