For the ftao of coffee machine owners

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Re: For the ftao of coffee machine owners

Post by JonMad »

Aeropress convert here too. Though for the past few weeks I've been so busy I've had to just grab a quick one using the Dolce Gusto machine.
Left over crest; tightens.
Mark_bt52

Post by Mark_bt52 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:20 pm I used to used an aeropress at work, inverted of course, and it was great if you weren’t allowed your own electrical stuff on site.

I’ve also got three delonghi bean-to-cup machines :) Gavster had one so I bought one too. It was great so I bought another one for work, at Army HQ where we got away with having it in the kitchen. Then I bought a third one to keep at my parents’s house.
There was a Nespresso in one of the kitchens when I left. But it belonged to the scrum-master so I assume he took it with him.

My new contract with them starts today, but might be a few days before I go back there.
Nissan GT-R / Audi S4./ BMW 530d
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I hadn’t heard of the inverted aeropress thing. I’m going to try that to make cold brew.
An absolute unit
tim

Post by tim »

Have always used the inverted method. I’ve only knocked it over twice 🤗
Barry

Post by Barry »

Gavin wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:59 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:58 pm
Barry wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:54 pm I don't go for all that nonsense, I just make sure I've got decent pressure applied when I plunge, that gives a fair result for what is only a morning coffee, at the end of the day.
is it not cold by then?
:lol: :lol: Bravo Sir!
:lol:

Touché
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Nathan wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:15 pm I've had this for 3/4 years, can't fault it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stovetop-Espre ... =1&sr=8-39
Yeah I'm a stove top coffee person as well. With no kitchen at the moment though I'm having to get by either on instant (bleurgh), cafetiere (far too watery for me) or the cafe at the end of the road.

We had a nespresso that we borrowed from the office for the last 12mo and for the most part they're also fairly rubbish - quite tasteless really.

I can't wait to get back to using a stove top again. Tbf the cafetiere is much better with coffee from the Mancoco roastery at least
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I have a Melitta Caffeo Solo and it's ace. Used to have a Tassimo but that's shite in comparison to a B2C machine.

Best £270 I've spent along with good coffee beans and would highly recommend.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:24 am Non, that’s what I use the aeropress for.

If you want a machine with a jug I’ve heard good things about these

https://javahubcoffee.com/products/mocc ... gJjSPD_BwE
Cheers Zed, after a fair bit of looking about I went with one of those. Hopefully it will be a relatively fast delivery. :D
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Tried the inverted thing. A tiny bit of spillage and I’d need to make a normal one as a control to tell you if it actually made a difference.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

@ZedLeg arrived yesterday in a massive box! I went for brick red in the end and on my second cup today. It is much faster than the previous crappy one and the coffee seems smoother too. Happy days. Thanks again for the recommendation.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I'm a stove-top person here too - makes excellent coffee.

I only have a small(ish) one though, so normally do two brews, back to back and store the coffee in a small, sealed bottle in the fridge

Then I have coffee ready to go whenever I need it - just add (oat) milk and microwave - lovely

And thanks for the tip re Mancoco - I'm always keen to try new coffee, so I have a bag on its way to me now...
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I used to be a bit of a coffee wanker but lately decided life's too short so got a £30 Tassimo machine at Christmas. Lor Intense XL pods are do the job fine for me these days. (and there's a local Cancer Charity Shop which takes the pods. win, win)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DaveE wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:13 am I'm a stove-top person here too - makes excellent coffee.

I only have a small(ish) one though, so normally do two brews, back to back and store the coffee in a small, sealed bottle in the fridge

Then I have coffee ready to go whenever I need it - just add (oat) milk and microwave - lovely

And thanks for the tip re Mancoco - I'm always keen to try new coffee, so I have a bag on its way to me now...
8-)

Been drinking their coffee now for many years. They do a very varied range and we often find that one that I like the Mrs doesn't and vice versa. I like a bit of a fruity tang but she prefers the more rounded types.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Gavin wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:00 am @ZedLeg arrived yesterday in a massive box! I went for brick red in the end and on my second cup today. It is much faster than the previous crappy one and the coffee seems smoother too. Happy days. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Glad it worked out 🙂.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:10 am
DaveE wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:13 am I'm a stove-top person here too - makes excellent coffee.

8-)

Been drinking their coffee now for many years. They do a very varied range and we often find that one that I like the Mrs doesn't and vice versa. I like a bit of a fruity tang but she prefers the more rounded types.
I’ll need to check them out. I’ve been getting the has bean mail order coffee for a while and I like it but the other half prefers a darker roast, so we usually end up buying an extra bag of something from the supermarket for their lattes.
An absolute unit
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:44 am
I’ll need to check them out. I’ve been getting the has bean mail order coffee for a while and I like it but the other half prefers a darker roast, so we usually end up buying an extra bag of something from the supermarket for their lattes.
I got that for a friend for their birthday. Sadly I didn't get to try any of the coffee myself.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

DaveE wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:13 am ...Store the coffee in a small, sealed bottle in the fridge

To me that reads like "Rummage around in the kitty litter for what's looking brownest and driest and stir that into a piping hot cup of dishwater" :lol:

Although I did try an oatmilk latte from a new vegan cafe/bakery the other day, it was a bit odd but at least the base shot seemed pretty good.

I had a Tassimo machine for a while, I could never find a pod I liked enough to choose it over making an Aeropress, as mentioned Lor XL was about the best I found too. The milky pod options were foul.
mik

Post by mik »

I enjoy a good coffee, but all the tassimo and similar machines i have tried make it too cold.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It is a bit of a flaw with the tassimo Mik.

I use a double walled mug to compensate.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

RobYob wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:07 pm
DaveE wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:13 am ...Store the coffee in a small, sealed bottle in the fridge

To me that reads like "Rummage around in the kitty litter for what's looking brownest and driest and stir that into a piping hot cup of dishwater" :lol:

Although I did try an oatmilk latte from a new vegan cafe/bakery the other day, it was a bit odd but at least the base shot seemed pretty good.

I had a Tassimo machine for a while, I could never find a pod I liked enough to choose it over making an Aeropress, as mentioned Lor XL was about the best I found too. The milky pod options were foul.
LOL - I'm certainly no purist, but I do enjoy a good coffee - the batch/fridge thing is a good compromise of convenience and quality (IMO)

I've got really into oat milk over the past few months, specifically the Oatly "barista edition" (link below)

It's really creamy and make the coffee taste and feel really luxurious - better than cow milk

(there's no eco/vegan etc angle here, it just tastes nice IMO)

https://www.oatly.com/uk/products/oat-d ... ta-edition