New new new new Top Gear

NGRhodes

Re: New new new new Top Gear

Post by NGRhodes »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:14 am Just finished watching this last night, another great episode, hope they can keep it up! That Alfa is wonderful, and it was really interesting to learn some stuff about the 2000GT.

Against all odds (given Paddy and Freddie) they're really turning this into a fine show. I'm wondering if Chris is getting a bit more involved in the content because it's starting to get a bit more nerdy as well which is amazing. :D
TBH the Dad car feature was a brilliantly simple idea, not too much goofing around to spoil the nostalgia, complete contrast for the better to the Clarkson/May/Hammond repetitive formula (where you know Clarkson will bump someone, May will do something dull that Clarkson will spoil, Hammond will do something wacky which Clarkson will take the Piss out of blah blah blah).
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

The scenery in tonight's episode was just epic

Some incredible images
mik

Post by mik »

No it wasn’t. CGI. Everyone stay down south.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Another excellent episode 👍
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Freddie drifting about on the skiddy shoes looked terrifying. Was expecting him to jump straight back on and go for 100
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I get the feeling the BBC is trying to kill Freddie but so far no luck 🤣
His driving has much improved this year, whereas Paddy is still shit.
How about not having a sig at all?
Marv

Post by Marv »

I'm surprised H&S allowed them to do the clay pigeon shooting hanging out of the sunroof/surfing behind a car on tarmac.

Mental!
Oui, je suis un motard.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Marv wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:36 pm I'm surprised H&S allowed them to do the clay pigeon shooting hanging out of the sunroof/surfing behind a car on tarmac.

Mental!
Id have loved to hear the production meeting for that one. "So we are going to fit you with motorcycle leathers & boots. Were then going to fit a metal skid plate to the boots and you will be towed with a metal pole from behind the car whilst you "Skid" along after the car with sparks flying at almost 100mph"

"I'm sorry...WHAT!!"
mik

Post by mik »

That did look dodgy when Flintoff started snaking.

I thought the clay pigeon stuff looked OK until Paddy (predictably) decided just to go for it - why not get gun-bloke to sit down and belt-in?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Apart from the stunning scenery I thought that was a bit of a weak one tbh. The initial bit in the quarry was ok, but it was fairly boring after. Certainly not a patch on the first two for me.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:31 pm No it wasn’t. CGI. Everyone stay down south.
Mrs Mike and I both commented on that while watching! Was also trying to work out the different places, but obviously the magic of tv makes it difficult as all the scenery and road stuff was mashed together. Can't wait to get back up north though once this is all over and the maddies have got it out of their systems.

I enjoyed it and would still really like a Defender.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Did I hear right - next weeks us the last in the series??

A 4 episode series??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Another enjoyable episode for me. Amazing scenery, good mix of challenges, not too much pissing about with jokes. Only bit that left a bit of a WTF was why they parked the cars in the water, at least that part did not last long.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Really enjoyed that too, being towed behind the cars looked absolutely insane, even with what looked like some well armoured suits taking a tumble at those speeds would be nasty. Kudos to the two sane presenters for giving it a go.

I was browsing the TG wiki and the 3rd-6th series of old TG were the pinacle of the CHM era. Hopefully that holds true for the next few years of the new team.

Must book my trip to the Highlands, puttering about in a 1.4 Scenic on those roads would be glorious, doubt I'd get above 15mph...
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

RobYob wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 am Must book my trip to the Highlands, puttering about in a 1.4 Scenic on those roads would be glorious, doubt I'd get above 15mph...
Don't be so sure Rob - one of the most enjoyable Drives I've ever had was absolutely trashing a Seat Ibiza 1.2 along the A590 from the M6 to Wastwater. Lots of carrying speed, getting on the power early but almost never exceeding the speed limit because the next corner came before I hit 60 :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:02 am
RobYob wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 am Must book my trip to the Highlands, puttering about in a 1.4 Scenic on those roads would be glorious, doubt I'd get above 15mph...
Don't be so sure Rob - one of the most enjoyable Drives I've ever had was absolutely trashing a Seat Ibiza 1.2 along the A590 from the M6 to Wastwater. Lots of carrying speed, getting on the power early but almost never exceeding the speed limit because the next corner came before I hit 60 :lol:
Tis a nice road, travelled on it many a time.
Like the A65 best done in the evening after the tourist have scurried home :)
mik

Post by mik »

RobYob wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 am
Must book my trip to the Highlands, puttering about in a 1.4 Scenic on those roads would be glorious, doubt I'd get above 15mph...
Do it like Marv and hire a Caterham in Inverness?

Or something less extreme but still Interesting from Edinburgh or Glasgow airport?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:02 am
This "carrying speed" is incompatible with my likely passengers :cry: . I got (still get) a telling off about enjoying a drive down a random road between B862 and B852. It was lovely with a little river running beside and a bit of a drop off.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

mik wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:00 am
RobYob wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 am
Do it like Marv and hire a Caterham in Inverness?

Or something less extreme but still Interesting from Edinburgh or Glasgow airport?
The whole family does want another trip to the Highlands, so taxi spec vehicle it shall be, as much as I'd love to bomb about in a sportscar.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »