New new new new Top Gear

NGRhodes

Re: New new new new Top Gear

Post by NGRhodes »

Ascender wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:55 am Have the vague comments about how bad it was to work on TG with Chris Evans ever been expanded-on?
Not seen anything of detail, I do remember Jalopnik mentioning that someone working on the show saying Evans was basically more of an arse and took even longer to do shoots than Clarkson after claiming he would get them done in half the time.
Simon

Post by Simon »

The slow mo shots of the Vauxhall drifting on the ragged edge whilst being chased by the hoon in the Saxo, all to the music of Underworld was a really proper bit of telly. Magic.

Sabine tribute was cracking.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

Can’t decide about the Sabine tribute.

Had read about her in mags. Clear talent. Loved her initial appearance on TG - a candid slating of Clarkson’s driving capability that had always shone clearly (to me?) and prevented me from trusting his critique of any vehicle.

Nobody could argue with her skills or professional credentials - awesome to see other lady drivers she inspired - but the character she would (appear to) play as TG went on was just annoying. A whooping and howling crazy German lady who cast fear in all men. The sequence with Rory was fabulous and reflected what I like to think she was really “about” - as she emotionally congratulated him for finding beyond-the-limit, in a way that wasn’t created for camera.

Interestingly - Hammond provided much of the poignant comments.

RIP.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Apparently the 1st episode of the new series is on tonight?

Haven’t seen any advertising for it, only spotted it because I was looking to see when the GP is on 🤣
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Started off promising… then went to shit. Oh well.
How about not having a sig at all?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Great episode, I never knew how badly injured Eddie Kidd was.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I saw Eddie Kidd jump buses in a tiny GAA stadium in Roscommon back in the early 80’s

Quite sad to see really.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I'd forgotten all about him sadly. He did some great stuff but the career ending jump was just daft. Shame really after all the massive stuff he did.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I’d never heard of him. Glad they did that, he deserves to be known about

Dents in that fuel tank from his head :shock:
mik

Post by mik »

I wasn’t aware of Kidd’s accident, and I don’t think I knew Kinevel had a son that followed in his footsteps either. 🤔
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I had both Evel Knievel toys when I was a kid - the Stunt bike Paddy had and the Super Jet Bike.

You put lighter flints in the back for "Realistic Jet effect" :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

jamcg wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:26 am I’d never heard of him. Glad they did that, he deserves to be known about

Dents in that fuel tank from his head :shock:
Just read up on that, as Eddie Kidd was on of those names I'd not heard of for literally decades.

Ouch.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Quite a fitting tribute to Eddie, a name I'd forgotten about and deserves to be remembered, so well done to Paddy for making the film.
Spotted a couple of riders in the MX jump team at the end that I met a few years ago when we shared an arena with them.
They joined us for a race and declared us insane (in a good way) all after jumping and flipping MX bikes across the arena, which needless to say none of us tried in return!
I was expecting a close time between Harris and Lando and it was quite impressive how close he got.
Overall enjoyed it.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Just got round to watching this - great work by Paddy, I always thought he was a bit of a spare part on the show (and a bit of a dick), but that whole piece was fantastically done with quite a lot of class.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

My face leaked.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I was happy because they played Wheels of Steel by Saxon 😁
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

That was a very good start. The Eddie Kidd special was so very well done.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

KiwiDave wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:21 am My face leaked.
Me too, I had a proper good cry to that (felt great afterwards)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I remember the Great Wall of China jump being talked about at the time, but without the benefit of YouTube in the 90s I’d not seen it until now. Much more impressive than my memory of a couple of lines read somewhere.

Doing the jump which ended his career and, for most purposes, his life was idiotic. It’s easy to speak with the benefit of hindsight but he obviously had no concept of the risks; that’s why he did this stuff. Not really a hero of mine, but a famous name from my childhood still and the film, which was pretty cheesy when Paddy met Eddy I thought, became really quite impressive and emotional. Nicely done.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:29 pm
Doing the jump which ended his career and, for most purposes, his life was idiotic. It’s easy to speak with the benefit of hindsight but he obviously had no concept of the risks; that’s why he did this stuff. Not really a hero of mine, but a famous name from my childhood still and the film, which was pretty cheesy when Paddy met Eddy I thought, became really quite impressive and emotional. Nicely done.
Jobbo jumps 17 buses of correctness and sticks the landing.
Banal Vapid Platitudes