New new new new Top Gear

Simon

Re: New new new new Top Gear

Post by Simon »

Ah yes, before my dad had his Maestro he had a Cortina Estate. That was the car I was brought home from hospital in. He had a Hillman Imp before that apparently.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I enjoyed the episode. Really pulling at heartstrings on occasion.

Agree about the whole knee sitting thing but it was presumably to lighten the mood as it was lovely and nostalgic but it is known for cocking about. I could have happily skipped that bit.

The Sian - Oh another stupidly expensive nonsense, yay. It looked nice but a wrap on an Aventador would be cheaper.

As w are all doing it

My Dad bought his first Mini new as a recently qualified QS.

So:

Blue Mini
Green Mini
White Maxi
Gold Maxi (First car I went in but don't really remember it)
Red Allegro - was crap and did not last his usual "3 and change"
Harvest Gold (beige) Maxi - First car I really have memories of and I lived it. He wrote off a deer in it and only broke the extra high beam spot on the front.
Then 3 white Maestros
He then went ex-demo and got a Honda based 1991 Rover 216GSi

I learned to drive in a metro and practiced in the Rover and it was sooooooooooooooo fast compared to our previous cars and seemed so luxurious with wood etc.

I left home and he phoned me to ask if Golf TDIs were any good - I said yes and he bout a year old Golf N plate.

Since then he has had another 3 or 4 all brand new again though.

My Mum had to hand her licence in a few years back but at 82 my Dad is slower but still smooth an decent driver and still tows their caravan hither and thither.

Not sure he will get another though, his current Golf is a 1.6D SE and is surprisingly well specced but he does so few miles I have suggested he goes petrol should he change and tried to explain low and mid range torque of petrol engines. We shall see.

Mostly what I took from the episode is it is over a year since I have seen my Dad in person and that really bloody sucks. We behaved during the various restrictions then when it was briefly allowed they were quarantining for an eye op, then a nose op then some other op.

It did make me very grateful that he is still around though!
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

I was wondering if the SIan was just enough Hybrid to get through emissions tests ?
scotta

Post by scotta »

Gavin wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:12 am
Not sure he will get another though, his current Golf is a 1.6D SE and is surprisingly well specced but he does so few miles I have suggested he goes petrol should he change and tried to explain low and mid range torque of petrol engines. We shall see.
Ive told my dad the same. Hes got a 2.0 TDI Tiguan DSG but hes just had to do an EGR valve on it. His typical usage is 500 yds to the shop for his paper (he cant walk due to health issues). Ive told him the DPF will be next.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

NGRhodes wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:22 am I was wondering if the SIan was just enough Hybrid to get through emissions tests ?
Not a chance - it would discharge that capacitor in moments.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Finally got a chance to actually watch this. The PFH team appear to be hitting their stride now, let's hope the rest of season is as good.

Must try and get to the Lake District someday. Not this year though...
Simon

Post by Simon »

MFH team shirley?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That electric 4x4 thing is an actual joke, 20 minute range 🙄
How about not having a sig at all?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Good enthusiasts episode last night IMO. What a noise from the GTA-R 😳
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:41 pm That electric 4x4 thing is an actual joke, 20 minute range 🙄
I think its a good trade off, I'd rather have short more exiting racing than longer boring nursing the battery racing.
The bond stuff was good in that they picked some different cars, the R5.5 racing looked like genuine fun, Chris loved that little Alfa !
Hoping the rest of the season is as good.
I watched TGT on Boats in Cambodia/Vietnam on Friday and found the repetitive pratting about tiresome compared to the last 2 episodes of TG (not sure if I like this new trips-only TGT format).
tim

Post by tim »

Those teeth, and Chris in that hat... that was bloody hilarious.

New TG is good TG.
Marv

Post by Marv »

NGRhodes wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:19 am
Mito Man wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:41 pm That electric 4x4 thing is an actual joke, 20 minute range 🙄
I think its a good trade off, I'd rather have short more exiting racing than longer boring nursing the battery racing.
If there's a boring F1 race, it's about 15 minutes in, that I fall asleep 😂
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I was under the impression that the toughest race in the world would be a Dakar style event but looking at the format of it online it’s basically just rallycross on rougher terrain but in way slower cars 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Realated:

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Watched the second episode, as a Bond fan it was nice to see the cars. I have sat in the Die Another Day stunt car as well which, although it was bloody awesome, did take a little magic away, with the starting instructions sellotaped to the roof on copy paper, missing dash/seats etc.

Hope the rest of the series carries on at the level of the first two.
scotta

Post by scotta »

What was the quote that flintoff made about clarkson - i missed that
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

scotta wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:03 am What was the quote that flintoff made about clarkson - i missed that
Me too, which segment do you know?
scotta

Post by scotta »

Gavin wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:56 am
scotta wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:03 am What was the quote that flintoff made about clarkson - i missed that
When they were on the runway doing the jaws bit. I could rewatch it but im being lazy.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

scotta wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:54 am
Gavin wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:56 am
When they were on the runway doing the jaws bit. I could rewatch it but im being lazy.
He said Clarkson would be shaking his head at them chasing Paddy, thinking he's James Bond, around the track.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Just finished watching this last night, another great episode, hope they can keep it up! That Alfa is wonderful, and it was really interesting to learn some stuff about the 2000GT.

Against all odds (given Paddy and Freddie) they're really turning this into a fine show. I'm wondering if Chris is getting a bit more involved in the content because it's starting to get a bit more nerdy as well which is amazing. :D