New new new new Top Gear

mik

Re: New new new new Top Gear

Post by mik »

I felt a larger proportion of the laughter and banter in this episode was genuine - it therefore amused me far more than usual. Possibly affected by the fact I watched it on catch-up after 4 bottles of beer, but I will take that.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

tim wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:15 pm I do wonder what Harris thinks about some of the stuff he's asked to do.
I wondered that when he started but he looks like he’s enjoying it and quite comfortable with it all. There’s worse gigs out there.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I think Harris is living the dream. He gets to do the serious review bit and also gets paid to arse about in cars with a couple of guys he seems to genuinely get on with.
Cheers,

Mike.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Oh no I have to get an electric car and go camping with my mates and get paid a small fortune to do it, how ever will I manage………..
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I can't remember if I mentioned this before but the revamped US Top Gear on the Motortrend channel is worth a watch. Jethro Bovingdon has been doing stuff with Motortrend for a while and he's a great presenter, the other two on it are pretty good too.
An absolute unit
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

I've looked at those Opus folding campers before, price aside they look ace. Way better to just stick it in your garage too rather than pay for storage or have a caravan outside your house.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

£20k though... :shock:

And I reckon you'd still be restricted to Hard Stands on "Normal Campsites" - I reckon Wild camping like on the show would be pretty difficult
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I thought I'd seen the Opus before - it's often in the Australian 4wd Action videos (now 4wd 24-7) on Youtube:

Always thought they were made in Oz due to seeing them on there; it seems not: https://www.opuscamper.co.uk/the-opus-story/
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

I noticed this morning that series 1 of Top Gear with Jason Dawe is up on iPlayer, I thought the BBC were keeping these ones hidden as I don't think I've ever seen them before on Dave repeats etc and they didn't used to be on iPlayer.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:57 pm I thought I'd seen the Opus before - it's often in the Australian 4wd Action videos (now 4wd 24-7) on Youtube:

Always thought they were made in Oz due to seeing them on there; it seems not: https://www.opuscamper.co.uk/the-opus-story/
I'd never heard of them until that episode of TG. Turns out they're not that far from the offices where I work!
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That looked like a right faff to set up.
How about not having a sig at all?
John

Post by John »

We had a Go-Pod micro caravan next to us on a site earlier this year, complete with an awning that must have been at least double the size of the caravan.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

So, iPlayer, how do I watch the latest episode? If I go in to the Top Gear section or search for “Top Gear” it brings up a timeline of 160 episodes starting with series 1, episode 1 of the new show from 2002. Any way to get to series 31 without just scrolling right for a week?

Had to have a quick look at episode 1. Hammond looks like he’s just out of school and wants to be Keanu Reeves in The Matrix.

The studio looks like its hosting a dogging session thanks to the small audience and the way they’re left to mill around the cars.
Cheers,

Mike.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

This week again felt much more like the crew had jelled and the laughs/banter/etc seemed more spontaneous/genuine. I think you have to play the long game when setting up a group like this; you need years for them to really work well together.

When Chris Harris described a gearshift as "manuel" I had an "omg he must read the internet" moment. Makes you wonder if Harris goes incognito on forums, just to chat cars like a normal human being.

.... I'm not saying that any one of us here could be Chris Harris but, yes, any one of us here could be Chris Harris.
Last edited by Explosive Newt on Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Ascender wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:17 pm So, iPlayer, how do I watch the latest episode? If I go in to the Top Gear section or search for “Top Gear” it brings up a timeline of 160 episodes starting with series 1, episode 1 of the new show from 2002. Any way to get to series 31 without just scrolling right for a week?
iPlayer -> Channels -> BBC 1 and then "featured" took me straight to the most recent series.

Or: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... d=m0011rj8
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Not the best episode last night. They’ve been better.

How awesome does Iceland look though… 8-)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
mik

Post by mik »

@dinny_g Iceland is epic.

Save before visiting though - absolutely everything is ruinously expensive (eg 4x burger & fries & Diet Coke in TGI Fridays = £120)
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Madre El Dios... :shock:

Were they small portions or were you just really hungry ?? ;) :D
mik

Post by mik »

I’d love to suggest it was in any way unusual, but it’s just normal meal pricing there :? And that price hike applies to pretty much everything. We tried to save a couple of quid by buying half a dozen cans of Gul (local) lager to drink in the hotel room, but even that worked out at something like £3.50 a can, tasted rotten, and was only 3% proof - which we later discovered is an Iceland limit for beer purchased at supermarkets etc as a way to reduce street-drunkenness :?:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Sounds like Scandinavia in that regard, supermarkets just sell weak piss. If you want proper booze you go off to the Systembolaget in Sweden. Finland and Norway have their own equivalent. The shite Ikea beer and cider sold here is actually banned and watered down even more there :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?