Uber

Post by Simon »

Haha

Good result for Uber drivers.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Re: Uber

Post by DeskJockey »

Yes. Whether they'll withdraw from the UK is another matter, but hopefully it is helping stop the race to the bottom in the gig economy and making them take responsibility for the people they work with, either as employees or contractors.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I can't see anything in the article about it but I assume this'll cover Ubereats workers as well?

Would be good if this became the norm among the delivery apps too.
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:13 am I can't see anything in the article about it but I assume this'll cover Ubereats workers as well?

Would be good if this became the norm among the delivery apps too.
I think ultimately it has implications for the entire gig economy. If that means we have to pay a bit more for 'whatever' to ensure that the person delivering the service receives a fair wage then so be it.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Is this not a bad thing? forces uber drivers to be employed and subject to PAYE?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

People should have a choice. Many workers in the gig economy make much more than minimum wage working flexibly and choose that over the security 🙄 of a regular low salary and minimal benefits like ssp and holiday pay.

These workers aren't all exploited and need saving .
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'd like to see figures on how many make much more than minimum wage tbh. My anecdotal experience is the exact opposite of what Carlos has said.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Carlos wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:51 pm People should have a choice. Many workers in the gig economy make much more than minimum wage working flexibly and choose that over the security 🙄 of a regular low salary and minimal benefits like ssp and holiday pay.

These workers aren't all exploited and need saving .
I've had conversations with loads of Uber drivers about this and have yet to find one that's been anything other that happy with their set up.

I'd rather Uber than those robbing cunts in black cabs around London. They can GTF.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I admittedly am basing this on a few conversations but Uber drivers up here seemed to feel forced to sign up with Uber as they tore the arse out of the traditional private hire business.

I've spoken to more delivery riders for the food delivery apps and a lot of them seem to struggle.
An absolute unit
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Does Uber have further ways to appeal this?

Surely these companies are no longer viable if they have to support these people as employees.

Uber's whole plan is to build the market (and kill of existing and new competitors like existing taxi companies) with huge amounts of cheap, manual labour, until such time as autonomous vehicles means that they can automate out the humans.

I'm not sure what business model they have without that?

A global 'taxi' company, employing millions isn't quite as sexy an investment...
Simon

Post by Simon »

I _think_ this was the last appeal. So no, it's done.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

There's no further appeal from the Supreme Court - that's the highest appellate court in the UK. To be fair, they've lost at every stage so I don't think a further appeal would do them any good :lol: The fact that they've pursued it so far is an indication of how much was at stake for them.

But, it's only the exact way things work currently which is bad for them. They can probably find a way to change it just enough to retain the business model.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Sensible outcome.
Uber were trying to pretend to not be an employer and claimed to be merely a booking agent, yet they controlled how much a driver could earn and imposed sanctions on drivers who were not exclusively on-call.