The Music Thread

ZedLeg

Re: The Music Thread

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:07 am
With work I've been listening to a lot of Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross as usual - their scores for Mank and Soul are pretty amazing and so different that its quite a comparison.
Oh that's a good shout, I've been looking for new stuff to have on in the back ground now that I've actually made myself an office in the house. Embarrassing that I never thought of them before considering I've been a NIN fan for like 25 years :lol:.

Currently listening to Tour De France from Kraftwerk though. Ideal background noise.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:58 am
Ascender wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:07 am
With work I've been listening to a lot of Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross as usual - their scores for Mank and Soul are pretty amazing and so different that its quite a comparison.
Oh that's a good shout, I've been looking for new stuff to have on in the back ground now that I've actually made myself an office in the house. Embarrassing that I never thought of them before considering I've been a NIN fan for like 25 years :lol:.

Currently listening to Tour De France from Kraftwerk though. Ideal background noise.
Kraftwerk are also on my list so I'll give that album a go this afternoon.

For Trent, start with The Social Network. That's become one of my favourite all time albums, not just from them.
Cheers,

Mike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Oh my!

So, ANNA has remixed Orbital's track "Belfast" (it's 30 years old!)

This is one of my all-time favourite tracks from Orbital

It's a bit of a monster - think Belfast vs Born Slippy

Rocking!

jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Thought a new Beatles track was worth resurrecting this thread for. I quite like it

https://news.sky.com/story/the-beatles- ... d-12998679
The track features John Lennon's vocals and George Harrison's guitar playing and was finished by Sir Paul McCartney and Sir Ringo Starr with the help of audio restoration technology, pioneered for film director Peter Jackson, allowing Lennon's original demo to be cleaned up and used
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Through a random conversation I have now heard Sleaford Mods for the first time (punk, shouty, sweary commentary with a modern-day Bez pressing go on his laptop dance track then variously dancing around or just supping a beer - genius! How did I not know they existed?).

Which then led me to Idles. (punk, shouty but less sweary commentary with actual musicians jumping around like loons)

Quite differently, I've also enjoyed a few tracks from Jon Hopkins (ambient electro) and Two Lanes (ambient electro but German).
Left over crest; tightens.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

I listen to all sorts of music, 80s alt, 90s electronica, Drum N Bass, rock, metal and even a bit of indie folk.
Here is the daily mix I am listening to at the moment:

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I like it, but it does remind me of this:

(RIP MP David Amess MP; you were a really good sport)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:lol: and yes, that was a terrible thing to happen :(
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Recently got onto Ren and he's blown me away. Being totally honest I saw a few posts on social media and thought he was a gimmick, like a solo Goldie Looking Chain from Brighton, with clever covers like this:

I was sooooo wrong! He is ridiculously talented. Amazing lyrical talent with a rich soulful voice when he belts it out (rather than rapping), plus he's got amazing rhythm and musicality combined with cutting, incisive and very vulnerable lryics. He's gonna be a superstar for sure. Can't get enough of him now. Like all good art, it gets better as you listen more.

240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Not particularly my thing but he’s talented, no doubt. I also thought it was a pisstake :lol:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

As well as Ren, I've been really enjoying The Last Dinner Party.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

Had only heard 1 of their songs until a few months ago. Whilst I was out of work I caught up on a lot of festival coverage on the TV and happened to watch Nothing but thieves at Reading. Now seem to be listening to them a lot! Not sure where they fit genre wise as I listen to so many different styles of music. I'll be giving Ren & James Zabiela a listen to but maybe not Alestorm ;) Anyway here's a couple.... ( different sources & tracks for those without Spotify)

Cockwobble
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gavster wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:41 pm Recently got onto Ren and he's blown me away. Being totally honest I saw a few posts on social media and thought he was a gimmick, like a solo Goldie Looking Chain from Brighton, with clever covers like this:

I was sooooo wrong! He is ridiculously talented. Amazing lyrical talent with a rich soulful voice when he belts it out (rather than rapping), plus he's got amazing rhythm and musicality combined with cutting, incisive and very vulnerable lryics. He's gonna be a superstar for sure. Can't get enough of him now. Like all good art, it gets better as you listen more.

Rich B wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:51 pm A bit out there, but what a performance...

you're a year late Gav, but still totally correct!

viewtopic.php?p=177031&hilit=Ren#p177031
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Ahhh yeah :lol: I knew I was late to the party
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

We got some last minute tickets to see The Darkness last week playing the O2 Academy. I loved their debut album, but apart from their Christmas song and the odd single here and there since their comeback I've not really listen to them. But you know, it was on the doorstep and not in Glasgow so we gave it a go.

I have to say they absolutely rocked the place. I don't know if I've ever seen a band given it such a a 100% full-on energy from start to finish and Justin Hawkins' vocals were incredible. They were clearly having an absolute ball and the place was bouncing. Genuinely surprised by just how good they were and one of the most fun gigs I've been to.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Justin Hawkins YT channel is pretty entertaining - and to link the last two posts, he's a massive Ren fan.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Gavster wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:41 pm Recently got onto Ren and he's blown me away. Being totally honest I saw a few posts on social media and thought he was a gimmick, like a solo Goldie Looking Chain from Brighton, with clever covers like this:

That is bloody awful :lol:

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Ascender wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:26 pm We got some last minute tickets to see The Darkness last week playing the O2 Academy. I loved their debut album, but apart from their Christmas song and the odd single here and there since their comeback I've not really listen to them. But you know, it was on the doorstep and not in Glasgow so we gave it a go.

I have to say they absolutely rocked the place. I don't know if I've ever seen a band given it such a a 100% full-on energy from start to finish and Justin Hawkins' vocals were incredible. They were clearly having an absolute ball and the place was bouncing. Genuinely surprised by just how good they were and one of the most fun gigs I've been to.
We saw them at the Manchester O2 on the Let Them Eat Cake tour and it was incredible. The playing was really polished, he was an awesome showman and they got everyone up going crazy.

The highlight was a technical issue with the drums, Justin was just chatting and doing a bit of a solo, he was then on the shoulders of a security guard in the floor area doing a solo walkabout talk to the fans thing and didn’t miss a beat. I’d definitely go to see them again.

Dave!