The Music Thread

RobYob

Re: The Music Thread

Post by RobYob »

Someone else who knows of Floating Me??! :o

The one album wonder is a repeat of Scarymother, who released one album in '94 after supporting Faith No More on their Aussie tour, then disapeared.

The Alternative music nerds of rural south western Victoria were devastated.

I was driving late at night when I first heard a Floating Me track on the radio and with the distinctive style and vocals I thought Scarymother were back after a decade and a half! Glad I had the road to myself as I had a nostaglia fueled out of body experience.

Not since I rediscovered "Polovtsian Dances" at 4am while randomly listening to Classic FM while driving to work (having vividly remembered the melody but not the name, as a backing track to footage of Desert Storm) have I been more musically delighted.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I'm currently going down a bit of a Pink Floyd rabbit hole... Also picked up the complete Queen album set on vinyl, so that's the plan for this weekend.

And still listening to a lot of soundtracks when working as I find they're not as distracting as stuff with lyrics. Loads of Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, Clint Mansell and Ben Frost.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Yeah i went through a real phase of Aussie stuff about 8yrs ago. Including gettting bummed by customs for some CDs I ordered!

For another obscurity you could do a lot worse than check out US group Fair To Midland. Sadly no more after becoming broke and I think the incredible singer is now a trucker. I'd put him up there as being almost as good as Mike Patton in terms of vocal range
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:17 pm I'm currently going down a bit of a Pink Floyd rabbit hole... Also picked up the complete Queen album set on vinyl, so that's the plan for this weekend.

And still listening to a lot of soundtracks when working as I find they're not as distracting as stuff with lyrics. Loads of Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, Clint Mansell and Ben Frost.
Worth checking out disasterpeace for background music. I found them from a game score they did but their own albums are good as well.
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:30 pm
Ascender wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:17 pm I'm currently going down a bit of a Pink Floyd rabbit hole... Also picked up the complete Queen album set on vinyl, so that's the plan for this weekend.

Worth checking out disasterpeace for background music. I found them from a game score they did but their own albums are good as well.
Thanks, will try them this afternoon!

Edited... He did the music for It Follows, that's why I vaguely knew the name.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:34 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:30 pm

Thanks, will try them this afternoon!

Edited... He did the music for It Follows, that's why I vaguely knew the name.
I just put that on as I was looking through his Spotify, it's usually the Fez soundtrack I listen to which is much more upbeat.
An absolute unit
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I've been consuming vast amounts of music since lockdown (which has been great)

But the three new things I've been loving today are:

Groove Armada - Edge of the Horizon

Brilliant new album from GA. Shimmering 80s style vocal synth-pop. It's just a shame it's arrived as summer finishes as it's perfect sunny afternoon music. There's loads of really authentic 80s synth/pop music being made these days under the "synthwave" genre. Think Jan Hammer etc. All that brilliant stuff.

Late Night Tales - Hot Chip

The latest installment in the excellent LNT series, this time compiled/mixed by Hot Chip. Bloody superb!

FEMALE - Pleasures That Kill

An excellent 5x CD boxset from Brummie tehcno pioneer Peter Sutton aka Female:

"Female’s coldly atonal, drily percussive sound holds a lot in common with his peers, Regis and Surgeon, sharing strong influence from early ‘90s Jeff Mills and hard, tracky Chicago techno as much as post punk and Industrial musicks. However, Female’s emphasis on extra slinky patterns and subtly trippy filtering, articulated with a dry and cutting Black Country wit, has indelibly personalised his productions with a swingeing shuffle and mesmerising monotone atmosphere that’s entirely his own, as perfectly exhibited across this definitive survey."
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

DaveE wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:25 pm

Late Night Tales - Hot Chip

The latest installment in the excellent LNT series, this time compiled/mixed by Hot Chip. Bloody superb!
Also listened to this loud today and agreed. Fantastic. The Pale Blue and Charlotte Adigery tracks are particular highlights. Mixes into both of them are pretty handy too.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Been listening to a lot of Middle Class Rut again lately, who have thankfully started turning out new tunes in hte last couple of years. One of hte best 2-pieces in rock imo, and hugely under the radar over here.

speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Still listening to essential mixes, the classic series the been have been doing has been great. Midland one is brilliant, as is Jamie XX. Carl Cox one from 1994 tomorrow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000msf8 this was bizarre and great IMHO.

Need to give GA another listen at high volume (in a residential area) only heard it at work so far and sounded a bit bland.

Thanks for the Late Night Tales tip 👍

Btw do either of you DJ? I try to :lol:
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Yeah I used to DJ (still have 100s is records)

I kind of fell out of love with it a little a few years ago and decided to sell my decks and mixer.

Really regret that now! 😀
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

speedingfine wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:40 pm Still listening to essential mixes, the classic series the been have been doing has been great. Midland one is brilliant, as is Jamie XX. Carl Cox one from 1994 tomorrow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000msf8 this was bizarre and great IMHO.

Need to give GA another listen at high volume (in a residential area) only heard it at work so far and sounded a bit bland.

Thanks for the Late Night Tales tip 👍

Btw do either of you DJ? I try to :lol:
The GA late night tales is fantastic

I say them play a few tracks in Birmingham once around the time of the Black Light album
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Venom Prison, who released one of my favourite albums last year have just brought out a new one and it’s a belter

An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

DaveE wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:25 pm Groove Armada - Edge of the Horizon

Brilliant new album from GA. Shimmering 80s style vocal synth-pop. It's just a shame it's arrived as summer finishes as it's perfect sunny afternoon music. There's loads of really authentic 80s synth/pop music being made these days under the "synthwave" genre. Think Jan Hammer etc. All that brilliant stuff.
Thanks for the tip about GA, I never knew they had an album out and its great! Very 80s, could see it as a soundtrack to bits of Stranger Things - presumably that’s the “synth wave” sound which is very in at the moment.
Cheers,

Mike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Ascender wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:42 pm

Thanks for the tip about GA, I never knew they had an album out and its great! Very 80s, could see it as a soundtrack to bits of Stranger Things - presumably that’s the “synth wave” sound which is very in at the moment.
I'm a massive 80s/synth pop fan and love the whole synth wave thing.

The GA album is really in that mold. In fact, if I didn't know it was GA, I'd probably never have guessed it was them.

Makes me want to dig out that multi-CD Grand Theft Auto boxset...
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

DaveE wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:41 pm
Ascender wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:42 pm

I'm a massive 80s/synth pop fan and love the whole synth wave thing.

The GA album is really in that mold. In fact, if I didn't know it was GA, I'd probably never have guessed it was them.

Makes me want to dig out that multi-CD Grand Theft Auto boxset...
Wow, I’d totally forgotten about that until now. I guess mine is in the loft somewhere, i doubt its on streaming sites so might have to make like a pirate....
Cheers,

Mike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

The GTA box set is one of my favourite compilations...
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:52 pm Venom Prison, who released one of my favourite albums last year have just brought out a new one and it’s a belter
Bit on the screamy side for my taste. But did inspire me to revisit some old Sepultura which I haven't listened to in a very long time 8-)
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

RobYob wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:22 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:52 pm Venom Prison, who released one of my favourite albums last year have just brought out a new one and it’s a belter
But did inspire me to revisit some old Sepultura which I haven't listened to in a very long time 8-)
Speaking of which I've been enjoying all the play-through videos their drummer Eloy Casagrande has been posting on YouTube recently

He's a beast, plays so hard, but also with great technique (otherwise he'd be breaking sticks and skins all over the place).

Well worth looking up if you like either Sepultura or just drummers in general...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Speaking of drum videos - mind bending stuff from Danny Carey

The ability of drummers to have limbs doing different things in different timings has always amazed and perplexed me, but Danny Carey takes it to a whole other level.