Buying and selling shares

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Buying and selling shares

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:45 pm Spend the £500 on some nice restaurants once lockdown is over. At least then you’ll have no money but a full stomach.
Even better - get yourself some of their cook at home boxes and help to ensure that they'll still actually be open once lockdown is over!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Restaurants do cook at home boxes now? I thought that was independent food subscription places and supermarkets?

I click and collect, if I want food from a restaurant I’m not cooking it myself 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Getting a bit O/T but yeah - they range from cook at home to heat at home etc. We've had a Tommy Banks one and it was bloody lovely!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've seen a few places our way doing this cook at home stuff, but I'm with Mito, if I'm paying that premium I'd rather they cooked it!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Surely half the fun of cooking is shopping for the ingredients. Especially in these times when it's something to do when you are not allowed out to do anything.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:20 am Does anyone use an easy to use app based share buying majigga ?

I want to put £500 into a pot and play with it and see what happens.

Dave!
For the amounts you're looking at a Freetrade General Investment Account would do the job.

The free version is pretty basic but has access to plenty of shares, investment trusts and ETFs if you're looking to have a play on a buy and hold basis.

It's not an isa but you'd have to realise a gain of more than £12,300 for that to be an issue.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Looks like bitcoin or Tesla if the sentiment continues on the same trend?

I'd love to dabble having done some coding work for a guy on Metatrader, but I decided I'd get addicted and lose the lot.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

There’s an interesting experiment happening just now. Reddit day traders are trying to bankrupt a hedge fund by holding onto shares in a company (GameStop) that the fund was trying to short sell. I wonder if their nerve will hold.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 92929.html
An absolute unit
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I've got a Nutmeg Stocks & Shares ISA. I moved my savings there after I earned a princely £0.91 interest on a Barclays account with about £4K in it. Made £78 in the first week - that was on a medium risk. You answer a load of questions in advance to help gauge your risk aversion and it'll advise you accordingly. You can manage everything online and in an app. If anyone wants in I can give you a referral link to sign up with and you get 3 months fee free. It's really easy and I wish I'd done it years ago.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:13 pm

I use a Fidelity ISA
Stocks&Shares ISA ?

I think IG is cheaper ?
Real-life Females
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:54 am There’s an interesting experiment happening just now. Reddit day traders are trying to bankrupt a hedge fund by holding onto shares in a company (GameStop) that the fund was trying to short sell. I wonder if their nerve will hold.

Ha! That's great.
mik

Post by mik »

This is superbly done :lol:

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

When AOC, Ted Cruz, Trump Jnr and Bernie Sanders (edit + Elon) are on the same side of an argument (trading apps restricting users to sell-only transactions) your know we've jumped into an even weirder timeline than 2020...

The mole people ruling hollow Earth are going to turn up in June, I've called it.
Last edited by RobYob on Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:54 am There’s an interesting experiment happening just now. Reddit day traders are trying to bankrupt a hedge fund by holding onto shares in a company (GameStop) that the fund was trying to short sell. I wonder if their nerve will hold.

:lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

What's happened since the Robin Hood platform restricted trading? Is this still rumbling?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:41 am What's happened since the Robin Hood platform restricted trading? Is this still rumbling?
The share price halved but the hedge funds had already closed their position and taken a loss.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Many of the Redditers out of pocket then?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s recovered to $428 now - Most hedge funds haven’t closed, the last time I checked it was still over 130% short.
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Apparently Robinhood ran out of collateral (what with the influx of Redditors taking advantage of the commission free trades) so had to stop purchases.

Credible. But there's always this:

The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

That's not a conflict of interest, that's the actual 'invisible hand of the market'.