Isn't science clever...

RobYob

Re: Isn't science clever...

Post by RobYob »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:21 pm You know the most amazing bit - the fact that you downloaded an app for your phone and that was what gave you the data to make the resonator. Measuring equipment was always interesting in my engineering days. Just using your phone, fucking hell.
The prices of the sensors included phones does make "instrumentation" spec gear look insane. Difficult to get away with paying less than £500 for each microphone and triaxial accelerometer for industry and then the cost of sending back them to the factory every year for calibration and certification.

The phone's 125Hz divided by 2 for a four cylinder four stroke engine firing twice per rev comes out at 62.5 revs per second or 3750rpm. Right on Dan's boom problem rpm range.

Honda's use of a solitary quarter wave tuner "nob" is a bit unusual in my experience. Maybe there wasn't room to package anything else in that spot. Most Helmholtz and similar tunning features are hidden away in the guts of the silencer.

I'd have thought a little "hotdog" expansion chamber in the same spot as the nob would effectively break up that 125Hz standing wave in the exhaust.

The replicated "quarter-wave" nob may not have worked as they have a narrow effective frequency range whereas a broad necked Helmholtz will help a much wider band.

Kudos on the maths Dan and the deepest envy of your fabrication skills.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

So is this why on V configurations they sometimes stick an X-pipe in? The 2 streams of exhaust gas cancel out the resonance?
How about not having a sig at all?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:48 pm So is this why on V configurations they sometimes stick an X-pipe in? The 2 streams of exhaust gas cancel out the resonance?
Not ever having had the chance to play with X pipes I haven't given them much thought.

I imagine at least two effects can occur.

1. The exhaust flow will be effected by which cylinder's peak of flow is passing by the Xpipe along with any corresponding flow trough from the opposite bank. Maybe this is the "balancing" sometimes referred to.

2. The pressure pulse from each exhaust event will be able to take two different paths of slightly different length and so having a slightly different resonant frequency.

AMG did some clever stuff with a valved Xpipe on their V8s IIRC.