One of the weirdest evenings i've ever had

scotta

Re: One of the weirdest evenings i've ever had

Post by scotta »

Ask the bank to trace where the money came from. Sounds like a scam.

watch this - sounds similar.

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

That's utterly bizarre behaviour. I wonder what they were hoping to achieve by leaving you the car and the cash?

Do you have to notify them that they have 24 hours to remove it or its off to the scrappy?
Cheers,

Mike.
scotta

Post by scotta »

dan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:42 am
Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:30 am The fact they drove it back to you is sufficient evidence there was nothing wrong with it.

If you have their contact details, send them a short message saying they need to collect it today, failing which you'll be charging them £20 a day storage fee.
I was hoping you'd chime in :) That was my assumption, its a second hand car sold as seen, not misrepresented in any way. Shit stinks sometimes.

Mrs was wondering if it was some sort of scam, but I pointed out its a pretty shitty scam as they've not got no car or money.
Check the bounceback scam. they transfer the money that they have taken out as a loan in YOUR name. Then you transfer them back YOUR money.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Very odd, is the car on the drive the same one you sold them? Not some weird attempt at cloning?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

CASH
dan

Post by dan »

Its definitely the same (perfectly working) car and they paid in cash which they're not getting back, so its not a good scam. I just think they're idiots.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

As they’ve paid in cash I don’t see how the scam would work 😆
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

The only thing I can think is that they hadn't tried one before and on the drive home it dawned on them that an RCZ wasn't for them. Otherwise I can't figure out what the scam is.
Simon

Post by Simon »

1. Is it definitely the same car? Try and find them on FriendFace and see if they've an RCZ of their own and the plates have been swapped over.

2. Or maybe some part on their's broke and they want to swap it for a bit on yours for free.

3. Also, have a look at the mileage on it to see if it really could've gone all the way to the M25 and back.
Last edited by Simon on Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Why would you leave what I’m assuming is a few grand and walk/drive away? Have they been caught speeding and trying to pin it on you? (Clutching at straws here)
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:13 am The only thing I can think is that they hadn't tried one before and on the drive home it dawned on them that an RCZ wasn't for them. Otherwise I can't figure out what the scam is.
Then they can go and sell it themselves. Do yo have the V5 back Dan as well, with their name on it now?

We had someone shake on a deal for my wife's i10 then come back and say they'd changed their mind about it. Luckily avoided them doing that after they paid for it I guess.
Left over crest; tightens.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Blimey that’s odd indeed. As others have said, keep your post and so on and perhaps ensure the house isn’t left unattended for a bit #statingtheobvious
dan

Post by dan »

JonMad wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:18 am Do yo have the V5 back Dan as well, with their name on it now?

They returned the new keeper slip that we'd given them, but the new V5 will be in the post to them soon. We notified the DVLA of the new keeper online and phoned them this morning to confirm it had been done, so its nothing to do with us any more :lol:
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Odd indeed. Probably had instant regret buying a Peugeot :lol:
M235i
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Might I ask what they paid for the car? What was the bloke saying when he put the keys through the letterbox, presumably that he wanted his money back. I just can’t fathom why they would leave, it they eventually realised you weren’t backing down you’d come and ask for your keys back etc not abandon it. I’m looking forward to the next instalment!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Rev, give Dan his login back.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

IF they paid with dirty cash but you were kind hearted / naïve enough to take the car back and refund electronically, would the cash be clean when they get it back ?
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Did they seem a bit thick? :lol:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:26 pm IF they paid with dirty cash but you were kind hearted / naïve enough to take the car back and refund electronically, would the cash be clean when they get it back ?
Worst money launderers ever :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol: - I’m no master criminal..
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…