FTAO Jamcg/DIY plumbers

DeskJockey

FTAO Jamcg/DIY plumbers

Post by DeskJockey »

Kitchen tap is leaking so I wanted to extract the cartridge to see if it is the washer. All guides I've found online assume that I can use a wrench to loosen the cartridge, but tap looks different.

So, [mention]jamcg[/mention] can you help? Is it just a question of getting the clippy thing off or is there some other way? Have gently tried pushing it off, but don't know how much pressure to put on and it isn't happy to ping off easily.

Help please!

(yes, I will clean the limescale off too)
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: FTAO Jamcg/DIY plumbers

Post by Jobbo »

Alex, you need to get a bit more light down the hole - it's almost certainly a cartridge like this, so the spring clip thing stays on and you have to get a box spanner or similar down around it to reach the hex nut:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Of course, if it is a cartridge like that then it's ceramic and won't have a replaceable washer. The whole cartridge is pretty cheap to replace, just make sure you get one which turns the same way as the one you're replacing. It annoys people when both hot and cold turn clockwise...
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I'll try for a better picture tonight. Already a bit wiser!
---
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I have the same problem but I can’t even get to the cartridge. I unscrew the handle and there’s nothing there.
Any idea on how to access the cartridge on this?
https://www.us.kohler.com/us/hirise-si ... id=4628628

I was just going to bin it and buy an entire replacement which looks less like a donkeys cock then I noticed the prices for these :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Mito, surely it'll be under that bell-shaped piece below each tap handle? There will be a way to get the handles off, perhaps a grubscrew or screw hidden under a plastic cover, then once removed the bell-shaped bit will presumably unscrew and reveal the cartridge.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There’s an exploded diagram

I can’t get part number 1069089 off at all, there’s no grub screws or anything. I assume it’s friction fit which has become very much fused after many years and can’t really get a good grip on it either!
mik

Post by mik »

Put several layers of electrical tape round it. Then use a pipe wrench.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Looks like it’s time to buy a new tool 8-)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Have you tried putting a latex glove on first, for extra grippages?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yep - these can be a bit of a bastard to get out. I've had to do both the bathroom sink ones recently despite being no more than about 5 or 6 years old and they put up a big fight.

As per Jobbo's warning - ours are also quarter turn ones that had the hot and cold reversed so the handles sat flush against the wall when closed - took me several goes at ordering parts before I worked out why the new cartridges operated the wrong way as they just say hot/cold when ordering and not which way they turn :evil:
Last edited by GG. on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:01 pm Alex, you need to get a bit more light down the hole - it's almost certainly a cartridge like this, so the spring clip thing stays on and you have to get a box spanner or similar down around it to reach the hex nut:
DJ - once its out you then take off the retaining clip and the contents will fall out the bottom (remember/photograph how it goes together!!). You can then soak it in limescale remover overnight which should stop the dripping - then put vaseline between the ceramic plates and reinstall the innards.

IME you'll probably only get another few months before it starts again - at some point you'll need to bite the bullet and replace it.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

GG. wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:09 pm
Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:01 pm Alex, you need to get a bit more light down the hole - it's almost certainly a cartridge like this, so the spring clip thing stays on and you have to get a box spanner or similar down around it to reach the hex nut:
DJ - once its out you then take off the retaining clip and the contents will fall out the bottom (remember/photograph how it goes together!!). You can then soak it in limescale remover overnight which should stop the dripping - then put vaseline between the ceramic plates and reinstall the innards.

IME you'll probably only get another few months before it starts again - at some point you'll need to bite the bullet and replace it.
Good advice. Was planning on replacing them, but first have to see if there's a way to get them out with box spanners. If there is, I'll have to buy the spanners first...
---
Simon

Post by Simon »

[mention]Jobbo[/mention] if the Solicitor business doesn't work out, it's good to know you've always got a backup in plumbing services
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:06 pm As per Jobbo's warning - ours are also quarter turn ones that had the hot and cold reversed so the handles sat flush against the wall when closed - took me several goes at ordering parts before I worked out why the new cartridges operated the wrong way as they just say hot/cold when ordering and not which way they turn :evil:
I have a selection of spare replacements, all of which turn the same way, from making this mistake a number of times previously :lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:45 pm Kitchen tap is leaking so I wanted to extract the cartridge to see if it is the washer. All guides I've found online assume that I can use a wrench to loosen the cartridge, but tap looks different.

So, @jamcg can you help? Is it just a question of getting the clippy thing off or is there some other way? Have gently tried pushing it off, but don't know how much pressure to put on and it isn't happy to ping off easily.

Help please!

I’d like to offer advise but the pics not showing......
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:34 pm There’s an exploded diagram

I can’t get part number 1069089 off at all, there’s no grub screws or anything. I assume it’s friction fit which has become very much fused after many years and can’t really get a good grip on it either!
Handle like that usually unscrew and then there’s a grub screw underneath. They’re sometimes on a very tight resistance fit, can you get a plastic lever in the gap and try to push them off?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

jamcg wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:02 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:45 pm Kitchen tap is leaking so I wanted to extract the cartridge to see if it is the washer. All guides I've found online assume that I can use a wrench to loosen the cartridge, but tap looks different.

So, @jamcg can you help? Is it just a question of getting the clippy thing off or is there some other way? Have gently tried pushing it off, but don't know how much pressure to put on and it isn't happy to ping off easily.

Help please!

I’d like to offer advise but the pics not showing......
Odd. Works on the laptop, but not on my phone.#

Here's a better lit version
Last edited by DeskJockey on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
---
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Better lit, but not better focussed 😂
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:22 pm Better lit, but not better focussed 😂
You can see the important bits!