First Class Bacon

mik

First Class Bacon

Post by mik »

LITERALLY! 8-)

So following a random mid-week tweet I became aware of https://piggery-smokery.co.uk/ . You can read their back story for yourself. They are up near Foz so I will await the “That’s my mate / brother in law / ex colleague / secret lover” response.

So I had to. Because bacon.

I use a local butcher for ours normally - can’t stand the (invariably) water injected supermarket pish that excretes jizz in the pan, so my normal reference point is pretty high.

Nicely packed (yeah yeah) but when you open it the smell of smoke from the packing hits you in seconds. Mmmmm. This is a good introduction 8-)

It’s going to take some planning to get what you want. For this order I managed to grab the last packet of maple cured back bacon, a pack of streaky treacle cured (I don’t usually do streaky but it was the only option) and some of their n’duja paste.

Opened the streaky treacle stuff this morning. Tattie scone, bacon, proper farm free range egg.

All I can say is :shock: . That was really good. Like really good. At £5 a pack for 10 rashers, plus postage for whatever you get (possible exception there for [mention]Foz[/mention] ) you’re unlikely to buy it every time you want bacon. But as a special glimpse-of-bacon-heaven treat.....

I have no idea if this is normal / abnormal / first-order bonus or what, so your experience may vary, but this was included. No hints or tips. Just a number and a request for feedback. So this may be a family palate test laterz.....

And I’ll tag [mention]Nefarious[/mention] as this might interest him...?
Swervin_Mervin

Re: First Class Bacon

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Looks good. You can't beat properly smoked bacon. 8-)

We get ours from Cheshire Smokehouse who also do a ton of other smoked meat products.

The only downer for me is that they apparently can't get skin on meat anymore so all the bacon is now rindless :( Still otherwise amazing stuff though
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

They have a category I've never heard before :lol:

https://piggery-smokery.co.uk/collectio ... orts-bacon

Sports Bacon?
mik

Post by mik »

You’ll need to be super-fast Marty - the stuff in that section goes really quickly. ;)
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

mik wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:18 am And I’ll tag @Nefarious as this might interest him...?
Ta very much. Indeed, right up my street - I'll look into it.

By way of return, I have only lovely things to say about this place: https://www.eastcoastcured.com/
Had some of their venison salami and some of their fennel salami, which were both excellent. I'm reliably informed that their Njuda is incredible too.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I prefer unsmoked bacon. :oops:
mik

Post by mik »

Cheers Nef - fennel salami sounds superb. 8-)

[mention]duncs500[/mention] no eggs and unsmoked bacon? Mate. :?
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

They look great. I bet they taste great as well. 8-)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

mik wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:10 pm
@duncs500 no eggs and unsmoked bacon? Mate. :?
I know, and cheese. :o
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

That stuff looks amazing, am going to order some tonight I think 🤤 😋
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

That looks nice, but my god that's expensive for bacon.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:37 pm I prefer unsmoked bacon. :oops:
Oddly the Cheshire smokehouse I linked does unsmoked as well. Fairly reasonably priced as well
mik

Post by mik »

Beany wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:01 pm That looks nice, but my god that's expensive for bacon.
Very true. Hence I don’t think you could do it all the time. But I have learned there is bacon. And there is bacon. 8-)

Reminds me of (proper farm) free-range egg vs battery.
Or cheap black pudding vs my current favourite Farmers Son stuff.
See also cheap Haggis (puke) vs proper Haggis.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

That looks amazing! I shall snap some up and report back. We go through bacon like no one’s business in the Newt household.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

mik wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:15 am
Beany wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:01 pm That looks nice, but my god that's expensive for bacon.
Very true. Hence I don’t think you could do it all the time. But I have learned there is bacon. And there is bacon. 8-)

Reminds me of (proper farm) free-range egg vs battery.
Or cheap black pudding vs my current favourite Farmers Son stuff.
See also cheap Haggis (puke) vs proper Haggis.
I agree with all that. If you’re going to eat meat you should try and eat the best you can.

However before I stopped eating animal stuff I had a perverse love of stovies made with canned haggis :lol:

ETA: Spoilt Pig and Ramsey’s both do pretty decent supermarket bacon.
An absolute unit
Foz

Post by Foz »

Good stuff that :)
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

The absence of pork-related gags in this thread is disappointing. As is the fact the I cannot think of any good ones. Although those bacon pics are giving me a lardon...
GG.

Post by GG. »

I must say this thread has tempted me to order some - I'm sure it will smoke the normal supermarket stuff. Mind you I tend to leave my rasher decisions until later in the day.

Buying this kind of thing long distance mail order is also a bit of a pig in a poke kind of situation...
Simon

Post by Simon »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:39 am The absence of pork-related gags in this thread is disappointing. As is the fact the I cannot think of any good ones. Although those bacon pics are giving me a lardon...
I thought this thread was about coppers on planes.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:39 am The absence of pork-related gags in this thread is disappointing.
I hope you’re not looking to a porcine blame? Everyone is caught up in their daily rind.

And if you ask me whether we should trim the fat from this thread, I declare NO SIR RENDER!