Explosion in Beirut

mik

Re: Explosion in Beirut

Post by mik »

GG.

Post by GG. »

Interesting that people keep referring to it as 'fertiliser'. Seems questionable when you dig even slightly into it...

The bags supposedly stored in that warehouse show labelling of Nitroprill HD:

Which apparently is a Brazilian knock off of Nitroprill made by these guys in Aus: http://www.oricaminingservices.com/down ... _id_21273/ and which is specifically intended for explosives.

Seemingly, the stuff designed for agricultural use are high density prills (https://www.cropnutrition.com/resource- ... um-nitrate), whereas this stuff is a low density prill, i.e. the kind used in industrial processes / specifically for explosives. That is assuming the knock off is the same as the original but why pass off your product as a trademarked version of an explosive if your touting fertiliser?

Nothing to suggest that the story around this material being confiscated from a boat several years ago is false, however, it seems more likely that what they confiscated was intended for use as an explosive in a part of the world riddled with terrorism. I doubt you buy stuff specifically designed for explosives to then use it as fertiliser...

If you want to go one step further, the small pops and bangs supposedly 'fireworks' at the outset of the disaster also may well have been small arms and other confiscated munitions which I presume would look similarly as they detonated in the heat of a blaze but clearly we are not likely to know now the whole area has been vapourised!

ETA: This interesting excerpt from an article written by a legal firm in Beirut in relation to the confiscation of the goods suggests it was on route to Mozambique so perhaps not intended for local terrorism but still likely for explosive use and not 'fertiliser'. The cargo parties also losing interest in the goods and abandoning them slightly odd too...

Last edited by GG. on Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mik

Post by mik »

GG. wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:24 pm Interesting that people keep referring to it as 'fertiliser'. Seems questionable when you dig even slightly into it...
It’s a bit early for jokes GG ;)
GG.

Post by GG. »

In the case of the Lebanese authorities I'd say you reap what you sow...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Lets say it was pulled on suspicion of terrorism etc, and that it was all small arms and explosives-destined AN....

...some dozy fucker still left it in there for seven years, then some even dozier fucker set the building on fire.

I think we can all agree that some local govt serf us for the high jump, to say the least.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Maybe Trump is right all along :shock:

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Looking at the videos from closer to the warehouse before the explosion, the crackling only really starts just before it goes up.

As likely to be the fertiliser starting to catch as anything else?
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:49 pm Maybe Trump is right all along :shock:

Dave!
Never say that again