Career Change or Sideline

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Career Change or Sideline

Post by Ascender »

Just looking at the way the contracting market is going, in part due to IR35 and now Coronavirus, and its left me thinking about a midlife career change or seeing if there’s something technology related I could be doing on the side to bring some beer money which might grow in to something but might not.

Of course, it could just be my age talking, but there’s no doubt the market has changed beyond recognition and its not anywhere near as much fun as it used to be. There’s 6 years left on the mortgage so have time to get something going without any real pressure I guess.

Any ideas for midlife crisis man?

Total career change? Unlikely/impossible I’m guessing due to being old and stuck in my ways.

IT-type sidelines.... Coding? Web hosting? What else is up and coming that I could turn my hand to?
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Re: Career Change or Sideline

Post by DeskJockey »

What are your skills? What do you enjoy doing? Security is, no surprise, where things seem to be at right now.

If you have something you enjoy doing and could see doing full-time to pay the bills (like Dan did) then it sounds like you've got the opportunity (also eff off with your six years left of the mortgage :D ).
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Similar feelings, Feb this year the client threw all contractors under the IR35 bus, then quickly unthrew us when the changes got delayed. No doubt that bus is right on schedule for February 2021. So I've 7 months to try and commit permicide in Automotive (jobs very thin on the ground and the inudstry is unlikely to be in a good place for a very very long time) or change careers.

Cyber security was something a friend in the police suggested but having no knowledge beyond fixing home IT stuff seems to be daunting.

What I think I'd really like to do is make stuff but I've no shed to work in to make a start on making. Also I don't think it'd make ends meet, with mortgage and ever ravenous Yoblettes.

2020 is just a fucking shit show.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I’ve got a pretty wide technical background in technology (servers, networking, firewalls etc), but made a move to project management about 10 years ago so dropped the technical stuff. I still have a good understanding of end to end solutions and am used to self-studying, so wouldn’t be daunted by learning something new - I have the sold understanding to back it up I think. Or at least reasonably bluff my way...

What did Dan end up doing?

Lol, the mortgage wasn’t a sly boast btw! 6 years still seems like a lifetime away. Selling the house, cashing in and buying a cabin in the woods is also appealing but I’d need some income

[mention]RobYob[/mention] The client I’m at didn’t reverse their decision on not engaging PSCs, so I’m in to month 7 of umbrella income which sucks ass, but I guess I’ve made that adjustment. That will definitely come in next year, so there’s that as well as the recovery from Covid which will no doubt have an impact.

Its funny you mention making stuff... I’d love to do something practical, outdoors, whatever really, but it won’t pay what I get today.
Cheers,

Mike.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Ascender wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:09 am
What did Dan end up doing?
https://www.hpeauto.co.uk/
Oui, je suis un motard.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Dan gave up project management to build tricked out Elises with silly Honda engines in them.

Cyber security is a fairly safe bet. I switched last year and a lot of it is about using your brain and looking for risk. If you set up with a vendor then I'd expect them to train you on their product.

For training look at CISSP and there's a fair amount of free vendor training to help develop basic skills and understanding. Fortinet's training is very good entry level stuff and isn't too preachy about their products although they're obviously mentioned.

Oh and [mention]Ascender[/mention] I'll see your six and raise you 18...

Edit: happy to share my experience and thoughts 1:1 if it's any help. DM me via [mention]Marv[/mention] 's encrypted carrier pigeon service.
---
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:17 am
Cyber security is a fairly safe bet.
I have diversified into CASB (MCAS specifically) in my organisation and it's taking an ever increasing amount of my time now. At least it's a safe haven in these challenging times. It's not too hard to learn for someone with a logical brain and with the ever increasing amount of orgs moving stuff to the cloud and then being hit with the realisation that it could lead to breaches and massive data/IP losses (becuase their IP now resides outside their network perimeter and devices) it's a good product to be involved with.
Marv

Post by Marv »

DM me via @Marv 's encrypted carrier pigeon service.
Just ignore the expired certificates!!
Oui, je suis un motard.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

That’s pretty cool of Dan to do that, he has my utmost respect for making that leap!

Security is an obvious one but not sure where to start in terms of something I could do part time or alongside another contract for example. Fortinet, AWS, CASB, CISSP etc...

Thanks for the offer [mention]DeskJockey[/mention]
Cheers,

Mike.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I'm currently still contracting (outside IR35) at Sky but as soon as their recruitment freeze ends, I'm converting to perm. They blanketed everyone inside which meant loads of contractors left in March. I've enough money saved to top up my income until I have to stop paying my ex-wife next June. Leeds had a really thriving contractor market and the new IR35 rules have killed it dead. There's no more outside roles and the market is flooded with desperate contractors. Supply > Demand = rates through the floor. My choices were become a zero rights employee Inside IR35 or get a reasonably paid perm role with lots of perks and benefits.

There's still a few die-hards who are "contract til I die" and think they'll be able to get something, but they're utterly deluded. It's been a good ride, but now the party's over and principles don't pay the bills and put food on the table. I'd take the perm role and cruise into retirement.
Last edited by Delphi on Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

If IT, either security or Data.

I work in the latter but fancy opening a decent cafe/ bistro or driving range mit bar. Both unfortunately require sizeable cojonos which I’ve yet to grow. Latter is a big gap in market here. Top tracer etc.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Delphi wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:57 pm I'm currently still contracting (outside IR35) at Sky but as soon as their recruitment freeze ends, I'm converting to perm. They blanketed everyone inside which meant loads of contractors left in March. I've enough money saved to top up my income until I have to stop paying my ex-wife next June. Leeds had a really thriving contractor market and the new IR35 rules have killed it dead. There's no more outside roles and the market is flooded with desperate contractors. Supply > Demand = rates through the floor. My choices were become a zero rights employee Inside IR35 or get a reasonably paid perm role with lots of perks and benefits.

There's still a few die-hards who are "contract til I die" and think they'll be able to get something, but they're utterly deluded. It's been a good ride, but now the party's over and principals don't pay the bills and put food on the table. I'd take the perm role and cruise into retirement.
Principals could pay. Principles however...
---
Beany

Post by Beany »

SkyBet you're at, Delphi?

I need to see what they're up to once things chill out COVID wise.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Oh and @Ascender I'll see your six and raise you 18...
You don't gamble, do you? :lol:

Do you mean that you've got 18 years left on your mortgage? I've not started my 24 year mortgage yet.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

RobYob wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:01 am Similar feelings, Feb this year the client threw all contractors under the IR35 bus, then quickly unthrew us when the changes got delayed. No doubt that bus is right on schedule for February 2021. So I've 7 months to try and commit permicide in Automotive (jobs very thin on the ground and the inudstry is unlikely to be in a good place for a very very long time) or change careers.
Where are you based and would you work elsewhere in the country?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Beany wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:05 pm SkyBet you're at, Delphi?

I need to see what they're up to once things chill out COVID wise.
No, proper Sky.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:17 pm
Oh and @Ascender I'll see your six and raise you 18...
You don't gamble, do you? :lol:

Do you mean that you've got 18 years left on your mortgage? I've not started my 24 year mortgage yet.
I don't. I mean that he got six on the table and I'm adding 18 on top for a total of 24. Is that DIW?
---
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:19 pm
RobYob wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:01 am Similar feelings, Feb this year the client threw all contractors under the IR35 bus, then quickly unthrew us when the changes got delayed. No doubt that bus is right on schedule for February 2021. So I've 7 months to try and commit permicide in Automotive (jobs very thin on the ground and the inudstry is unlikely to be in a good place for a very very long time) or change careers.
Where are you based and would you work elsewhere in the country?
Norfolkistan and the last five years working between 90 and 150miles from home but with some WFH allowances. Not great but better than moving a family settled into schools and all that stuff.

I've looked at stuff all over tbh.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Ive just started an outside IR35 that runs until january..Where it goes after that though im not sure.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Ascender wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:25 pm That’s pretty cool of Dan to do that, he has my utmost respect for making that leap!
You're fairly regular on here aren't you? He's been doing it for a good 5 years or so I think!