I fought the law and the law...

unzippy

I fought the law and the law...

Post by unzippy »

I was pulled over a couple of weekends ago and issued a $413 fine for unlicensed driving.
I've been in Victoria since 06/01/2018 and have been using my UK licence. The cop said I should have converted the licence within 6 months of arriving.

I sort of knew that so was a fair cop guv. Monday I paid the fine and booked into get a Victorian licence.

However, when I go to https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licence ... as-drivers it says different:

Given that I had already paid, I'd already lost the money so had nothing more to lose so lodged a query with Vic fines. That got passed on to the Police and today they wrote to tell me that they were very satisfied that officer was 100% correct and that the offence had been committed.

However they will be withdrawing the Infringement Notice in favour of an Official Warning and refunding me, no further police action will be taken against me.

:lol: 8-)
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Marv

Re: I fought the law and the law...

Post by Marv »

Good to hear the law is clear on that one 😁
Oui, je suis un motard.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

If you convert your licence when moving overseas, what happens to the validity of your UK licence?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:33 am If you convert your licence when moving overseas, what happens to the validity of your UK licence?
You lose it if in the EU. Mate who passed his test in the UK but now lives in Spain couldnt go on my car insurance as no longer has a UK license but a Spanish one. Might be different for rest of the world - its an interesting question for when we leave the eu.
Simon

Post by Simon »

We already left....
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Had to swap my Danish licence for a UK one after a couple of years. This was before the world went mad, expect it'll be far more difficult now. All I had to do was fill in a form.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Would it be better long term to take a test in that country and hold two licenses?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Victorian license just makes me think of Victorian Dad from Viz.

That’s you that is.
Cheers,

Mike.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:33 am If you convert your licence when moving overseas, what happens to the validity of your UK licence?
I was under the impression that it was an exchange. Last time I was back in the UK I updated my UK licence to my Dad's address.
At my appointment to swap in for an Aus one, I handed in my UK licence that was for the address prior to Dad's 😉

And then they gave it back to me :lol:

I have now both a UK and a Victorian one.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

unzippy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:39 am
I was under the impression that it was an exchange. Last time I was back in the UK I updated my UK licence to my Dad's address.
At my appointment to swap in for an Aus one, I handed in my UK licence that was for the address prior to Dad's 😉

And then they gave it back to me :lol:

I have now both a UK and a Victorian one.
That's how I'd expect it to work. You're still a British citizen and still licensed to drive in the UK, I'd have thought. Plus it means you can get points in the UK still.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Simon wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:23 am We already left....
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in- ... ter-brexit

Nothing changes until december according to this
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I discovered several years too late that my insurance premium plummeted when I converted my Aus licence to a UK one.

I really must read the UK road rules sometime...
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

I was supposed to convert my licence to a Belgian one when we lived in Brussels years ago, but never did. Then got pulled over at some point because we were still on UK plates and they tried to push a fine, but it never happened, filed under the "too much paperwork" heading IIRC.