Huawei

Swervin_Mervin

Huawei

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Well, in the UK's 5G network at least. It'll be interesting to see how this and the HK situation pans out, but it's yet another fairly significant snub for China.

That said, 7 years to remove seems like a fecking long time to me*

*admittedly I know fack all about how extensive their existing integration into the UK's networks is though.
Broccers

Re: Huawei

Post by Broccers »

Its funny how they all of a sudden became spies?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:52 pm Well, in the UK's 5G network at least. It'll be interesting to see how this and the HK situation pans out, but it's yet another fairly significant snub for China.

*admittedly I know fack all about how extensive their existing integration into the UK's networks is though.
re 7 years

It's a fairly standard timeline for deprecating and replacing comms kit in a DC. It is usually pretty reliable and can be modular so doesn't age like server hardware does (3-5 year life cycle on that). So it means that new purchases will not be Huawei and anyone who has already purchased can get the value out of the kit they already own without a new spend. I would imagine that if they find anything in the meantime that timeline will accelerate to remove any vulnerabilities, they must deem it fairly low risk at the moment.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:52 pm

By then we'll have 6G, which will spread the next generation of COVID ever more effectively 8-)
Oui, je suis un motard.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:59 pm Its funny how they all of a sudden became spies?
It’s not all of a sudden. There have been suspicions that they’ve been spying for the Chinese government since the company started.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:53 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:59 pm Its funny how they all of a sudden became spies?
It’s not all of a sudden. There have been suspicions that they’ve been spying for the Chinese government since the company started.
Is there a whoooooosh parrot smiley for this occasion>
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Been at it for ages, fascinating report here:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... -companies
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Beany

Post by Beany »

unzippy wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:57 am
They never proved the functionality of that alleged chip, did they? :?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Beany wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:04 am
unzippy wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:57 am
They never proved the functionality of that alleged chip, did they? :?
It would be a great ruse to waste US time and money if they just put a chip on with no functionality. :-D
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

The funny thing is, seemingly everyone's happy to tool about in Chinese built EVs, use Chinese made mobiles, watch TV on a Chinese made set, use Chinese made PCs and modems/routers...
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

They can quite easily shift production to say India or maybe we could be less of a throwaway society and have things made here?

One positive of the current economic situation is you realise the amount of stuff you don't need.

On this subject tho, we have chinese nuclear power stations in this country - bit late to worry about cyber warfare.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:04 am The funny thing is, seemingly everyone's happy to tool about in Chinese built EVs, use Chinese made mobiles, watch TV on a Chinese made set, use Chinese made PCs and modems/routers...
and you don’t see the difference between that and having access to the full network?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:08 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:04 am The funny thing is, seemingly everyone's happy to tool about in Chinese built EVs, use Chinese made mobiles, watch TV on a Chinese made set, use Chinese made PCs and modems/routers...
and you don’t see the difference between that and having access to the full network?
No, of course I don't cos I'm fick innit? :roll:

I just find it interesting to see what level of potential intrusion is acceptable to the point of not even giving it a second thought.

And I'm sure all the US made kit in our networks is entirely without suspicion.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:16 am

I just find it interesting to see what level of potential intrusion is acceptable to the point of not even giving it a second thought.
having a Chinese made TV isn’t intrusive!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Cisco have huge amounts of security advisories a year, many of which are review access related.

Huge amounts.

And that's the ones that are disclosed.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Beany wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:30 am
Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:08 am and you don’t see the difference between that and having access to the full network?

Cisco have huge amounts of security advisories a year, many of which are review access related.

Huge amounts.

That's ok though Beany 'cos we can trust the Yanks right? :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

The risk is amplified when (i) they are made by a company directly controlled by the Chinese state and (ii) they are part of systemic infrastructure. I think that's the key point.

To be honest though, given the level of data theft and cyber espionage, we should really be blacklisting all chinese made electronics. Obviously, from an economic perspective, that will not be possible but a ban on a limited number of state owned / controlled organisations like Huawei would be a good start.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I love my Huawei phone, thank you China. 8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:43 am
Beany wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:30 am

Huge amounts.

That's ok though Beany 'cos we can trust the Yanks right? :lol:
America, FUCK YEAH

That, and we have more taps on underground network interconnects than B&Q.