Huawei

drcarlos

Re: Huawei

Post by drcarlos »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:18 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:16 am
Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:08 am and you don’t see the difference between that and having access to the full network?
No, of course I don't cos I'm fick innit? :roll:

I just find it interesting to see what level of potential intrusion is acceptable to the point of not even giving it a second thought.
having a Chinese made TV isn’t intrusive!
Anything with a code base and processing built in can be intrusive, so a Chinese made smart TV or EV that attach to any network, whether it's a 4/5G or a home cabled or wifi could be used as a device to spy. It's just moved the point to a lower risk where it may only impact is single endpoint, (unless it has AI and can automatically attack a central point like a switch or a router) where as comms kit is more centrally located so can cover multiple endpoints into the thousands or even hundreds of thousands.
GG.

Post by GG. »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:54 am I love my Huawei phone, thank you China. 8-)
Is that you Duncs or is your phone auto-posting propaganda ;) :lol:
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

drcarlos wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:00 am
Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:18 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:16 am

No, of course I don't cos I'm fick innit? :roll:

I just find it interesting to see what level of potential intrusion is acceptable to the point of not even giving it a second thought.
having a Chinese made TV isn’t intrusive!
Anything with a code base and processing built in can be intrusive, so a Chinese made smart TV or EV that attach to any network, whether it's a 4/5G or a home cabled or wifi could be used as a device to spy. It's just moved the point to a lower risk where it may only impact is single endpoint, (unless it has AI and can automatically attack a central point like a switch or a router) where as comms kit is more centrally located so can cover multiple endpoints into the thousands or even hundreds of thousands.
Domestic appliances are a pretty good set of items to spy on people with. Not necessarily to find out who’s bank account is best to target but to give a commercial advantage to your own country and drive down competition from elsewhere, thus making your economy not just stronger but more relied on. Data protection and privacy use? Not required when “you’re not doing it”.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

GG. wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:11 pm
duncs500 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:54 am I love my Huawei phone, thank you China. 8-)
Is that you Duncs or is your phone auto-posting propaganda ;) :lol:
:lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Every aspect of your life is monitored in China, I forget the app they use though which lets you buy and book anything.

It’s a very strange way to live. While there we also caught them stealing fuel pumps to no doubt copy.

It’s an amazing place but does feel very communisty. I think it’s a good decision to keep them away from a network which essentially tracks all of our coming and going. No idea who I would be very happy to have access to it all though :roll:

Dave!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:08 pmWhile there we also caught them stealing fuel pumps to no doubt copy.
I’ve found some of the lengths they’ll go to staggering. I worked with some of them who rather than do their own job in assembling the product right in the first place and resolving issues where spending 90% of their time trying to reverse engineer the product and try to get hold of drawings, software files directly etc so they could copy them. I’ll point out that we all worked for the same company, I didn’t believe the training we’d had until that first time where I caught them trying to reverse engineer something that the Chinese have no loyalty, if they could copy it they’d happily split off and start making the parts or entire product on the sly often using the company paid for tools and sending their wares out the back door instead, or just relocating and starting a fresh elsewhere with your IP.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

This is all because Huawei are ahead of the US in terms of tech and the Americans only believe in competition when it's their companies that win.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Delphi wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:57 pm This is all because Huawei are ahead of the US in terms of tech and the Americans only believe in competition when it's their companies that win.
This is a big part of it.

I'd wager them being pulled from the UK 5g network is conditional on something in a UK/us trade deal.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Since we're on the subject of cyber security, I was duped by a phishing email the other day purporting to be from PayPal. Realised and so cancelled the card and changed my password, but I'm thinking it's time I used one of those password apps that Rev used to bang on about. Anyone got any recommendations?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:31 pm Since we're on the subject of cyber security, I was duped by a phishing email the other day purporting to be from PayPal. Realised and so cancelled the card and changed my password, but I'm thinking it's time I used one of those password apps that Rev used to bang on about. Anyone got any recommendations?
Just think of a really long phrase, like "the shit brown fox couldn't jump over the fence"
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:48 pm
duncs500 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:31 pm Since we're on the subject of cyber security, I was duped by a phishing email the other day purporting to be from PayPal. Realised and so cancelled the card and changed my password, but I'm thinking it's time I used one of those password apps that Rev used to bang on about. Anyone got any recommendations?
Just think of a really long phrase, like "the shit brown fox couldn't jump over the fence"
:D I thought the was something more advanced these days.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I've been using LastPass for a couple of years and like it and have combined with Authy for two factor authentication. Quite simple to use and set up.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:16 pm
I've been using LastPass for a couple of years and like it and have combined with Authy for two factor authentication. Quite simple to use and set up.
Cheers, I'll have a look at that.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

I second LastPass👍
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
mik

Post by mik »

Beany wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:04 am
unzippy wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:57 am
Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:59 pm Its funny how they all of a sudden became spies?
Been at it for ages, fascinating report here:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... -companies
They never proved the functionality of that alleged chip, did they? :?
Interesting idea.

I do like that it is a chinese spy device... what comparator could we use to describe how small it is? Ah - I know..... :lol:

Also - assuming this chip doesn’t just need a power supply - surely you’d require some significant changes to the PCB to allow it to do anything? And bare PCB manufacturers are usually different companies to board stuffers. Not outwith the realms of possibility but would take a bit of coordination to ensure the revised PCBs aligned with the new population bill-of-material that included the rice spy chip. which means increasing the number of people involved in the act.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, the whole thing sounds like bollocks to me - it would take multiple levels of complete corruption/espionage at a massive scale to perform it.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying when you get to that level of supply chain fuckery, I'd expect much better than that - such as wafer level infiltration, not a seperate component on the board.
mik

Post by mik »

That sounds far more possible with vastly reduced detectability.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

unzippy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:12 am I second LastPass👍
That's not allowed, we're on the internet. You have to propose something else, berate me for DIW, then insult me for no good reason.
---
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:45 am
That's not allowed, we're on the internet. You have to propose something else, berate me for DIW, then insult me for no good reason.
You foreign devils, coming here, taking our women and stealing our gold !!

<waves fist>

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:53 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:45 am
You foreign devils, coming here, taking our women and stealing our gold !!

<waves fist>

Dave!
Thanks, I feel worse now, just what I needed to feel better :D
---