Becoming a hippy, evil dinosaur burning planet killers!

V8Granite

Becoming a hippy, evil dinosaur burning planet killers!

Post by V8Granite »

Well I am setting up to doing some greenlaning with my kids and camping over in places. So I have been getting a few bits and pieces organised.

Till I decide on a proper fridge for the Defender I wanted to take my cool box with me. That pulls about 1amp and my auxiliary battery will happily run that alone for a day but when using my inverter, possibly auxiliary heater and lights, charging etc I decided it needed a hand. I’d rather not run the engine if I can help it when relaxing and camping.

So I bought an 80watt pwm controlled flexible solar panel. This one I fact....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DOKIO-Portabl ... 4066119165

Now in direct sunlight I was seeing 4.1amps at about 18:30 today. In clouds just under 1 amp and I averaged nearly 2 amps during an overcast day. Very impressed. The controller is just a pwm controller and not a more efficient MPPT controller so better than expected.

Charges my phones up just as quick as when in the mains as it has 2 USB ports on the controller, has charged a spare battery I keep In the garage absolutely fine and I’ll now wire it into the Landy properly.

It’s becoming a bit sad how much joy charging for free has given me :P , in 5 years I’ll break even :lol:

Growing old means excitement comes from unusual places.

Dave!
Orange Cola

Re: Becoming a hippy, evil dinosaur burning planet killers!

Post by Orange Cola »

Ooooh I wonder if I could power the pond pump off that and an array of car batteries like my dad does...
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
V8Granite

Re: Becoming a hippy, evil dinosaur burning planet killers!

Post by V8Granite »

Quite possibly. With lead acid batteries you get a true 50% of its ah, so 100 ah will be a true 50ah.

Lots of different types are available and it’s quite a fun subject in general I find.

Dave!