Tony Stark’s London Pad for sale

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: Tony Stark’s London Pad for sale

Post by Sundayjumper »

My approach was to buy a house at the top of my price range that was horrible, but with a large driveway, and live in building site for the next ten years because we had no money.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Who needs a kitchen when there’s restaurants and BBQs 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:50 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:31 pm If you have £15mill to buy it, you have another mill to change the decor.
That’s along the lines of the advice my BiL received when last moving house; that whatever you buy you should budget another 20% to refit the kitchen. Kitchens are the most willy-waving part of the house so even if it’s all brand new you need to rip it all out to prove that you have MUCH better taste than the last people. Even if you don’t.
Bonkers isnt it? A quick look on ebay brings up hundreds of brand new, unsued kitchens that have clearly been taken out by new owners after purchasing, for fraction of what they cost new.

Absolute madness. Unless we're DIW - we've lived with a kitchen for 8yrs that's just about hanging together, until such time as we were ready (££) to get it sorted as other areas of the house were more in need. Even when we started doing the place up, many friends couldn't understand why we were doing bathrooms and bedrooms before the kitchen - the logic of doing the areas where you get yourself clean and sleep is fairly clear I'd have thought, as long as the kitchen is actually useable?!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Meh, it’s not that much to refit a kitchen (certainly not 20% of a house value these days!) and you can completely transform the way a whole house works if you’re clever!

However, If you’re happy with the layout why change, and even then, then doors and worktops can achieve the same result. Every house/person is different!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Even 10% is a lot to some of us!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:01 am Even 10% is a lot to some of us!
Absolutely - mine was definitely <5% of the purchase cost of either house I’ve done (though houses are More expensive in the south, and kitchens probably cost broadly the same all over.)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

And TBF, the kitchen element of ours is more likely to be c5% - the rest is the entire strip and refurb of the space, and that's before we find out what's required for the extension.

I don't think I can even imagine spending 20% on the actual kitchen itself!
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:17 am I don't think I can even imagine spending 20% on the actual kitchen itself!
Neither can I, but BiL is in an entirely different financial bracket than I am !
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:42 am Who needs a kitchen when there’s restaurants and BBQs 😂
Who needs a job when there's a rich daddy to indulge every whim ?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:52 am Meh, it’s not that much to refit a kitchen (certainly not 20% of a house value these days!) and you can completely transform the way a whole house works if you’re clever!

However, If you’re happy with the layout why change, and even then, then doors and worktops can achieve the same result. Every house/person is different!
We're thinking of replacing the fronts on ours as the plastic finish is failing. Glue failing and cracks in the finish. Can you recommend anyone? Loads of companies out there, but no idea about who is good. Can fit it myself, but may want them to measure.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

It’s the sort of thing you see coming up on Facebook marketplace locally. No idea if there’s any national companies though.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:08 pm It’s the sort of thing you see coming up on Facebook marketplace locally. No idea if there’s any national companies though.
Ok. I'll dig around some more.
---
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:06 pmWe're thinking of replacing the fronts on ours as the plastic finish is failing. Glue failing and cracks in the finish. Can you recommend anyone? Loads of companies out there, but no idea about who is good. Can fit it myself, but may want them to measure.
Unless it was a bespoke kitchen in the first place (or *really* old) they're probably standard sizes, multiples of 100mm. B&Q & Wickes are usually good if you want to look & feel stuff.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:15 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:06 pmWe're thinking of replacing the fronts on ours as the plastic finish is failing. Glue failing and cracks in the finish. Can you recommend anyone? Loads of companies out there, but no idea about who is good. Can fit it myself, but may want them to measure.
Unless it was a bespoke kitchen in the first place (or *really* old) they're probably standard sizes, multiples of 100mm. B&Q & Wickes are usually good if you want to look & feel stuff.
It isn't bespoke (can't imagine PO spent anymore than he absolutely needed to), but when we measured previously it wasn't quite standard size fronts. Will see.
---
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:18 pm
It isn't bespoke (can't imagine PO spent anymore than he absolutely needed to), but when we measured previously it wasn't quite standard size fronts. Will see.
Wasn't Ikea was it? They have a habit of donig things slightly out from std.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

If a house came with a new kitchen - or bathroom for that matter - that wasn’t completely hideous or non functional I wouldn’t rip it out for the sake of doing it my way, I’d spend the money elsewhere and do the kitchen when it actually needed doing.

I do know people who would rip a perfectly good and new whole kitchen out because they didn’t like the cupboard doors, the tiles or the paint on the walls. Daft things like “I can’t stand white sparkly work tops, they must be dark and sparkly” or “I hate wooden cupboard doors, I must have them finished in flat gloss”. That sort of daft thing. They are also the sort of people who must decorate a different room each year and nothing in the house is older than five years.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:20 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:18 pm

Wasn't Ikea was it? They have a habit of donig things slightly out from std.
So far we've found no identifying marks anywhere. It doesn't look like IKEA, but who knows!
---
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Just measure the bloody things !!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Don’t be so sensible!
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace