Geeking out

mik

Geeking out

Post by mik »

I’ve followed @GlasgowsMways on twitter for some time. They post some fabulous historic images of (this may surprise you) the Glasogow motorway network.

If you’ve never been to Glasgow (or even if you have and weren’t paying much attention) you won’t appreciate how amazing the motorway system is. Cutting right through the heart of the city allows (relatively) easy access to the place, and/or painless passing through - should you be worried about your wheels being stolen at the lights etc

Hugely controversial as the demolition and compulsory purchase orders pushed through in the 60’s that allowed this certainly would not be approved today, and some communities were allegedly split apart.

The account has been focusing on the Kingston Bridge for the last couple of weeks. It is 50yrs old in a couple of days. A huge motorway bridge that crosses the Clyde. I’ve learned only recently that the Kingston Bridge Is actually two Kingston Bridges. Separate 5-lane motorway superstructure that sit side by side - tied together after construction.

I’ve spent 2hrs listening to podcasts over the last couple of weeks going into huge detail. Main bloke is clearly V knowledgeable in civil eng and has great insights and historical knowledge.

Novelties like under-surface heating - flakey when new, ruined by cost-cutting salting of the roads.

The bridge suffered some significant salt-related structural issues and needed huge remedial works. Essentially leaning on one side. After it was leaked in the press, I remember driving over the always-closed expansion joints at one end, and the beyond-open (by a couple of cm) expansion joints at the other. I clearly recall the furore back in the day (and the lane closures to limit traffic loads) but had no idea the solution involved new temporary jacking plynths, lifting the entire 560,000 tonnes of bridge(s) onto hundreds of computer controlled jacks, destruction of the original supports and leaving it on the jacks for 10months (adjusting their lift to suit traffic levels) before raising the level a bit, pushing the entire thing 3cm to the side, constructing new supports, and dropping it back down. As you do. The motorway closures to allow this were minimal - days. Amazing.

It’s funny having a new appreciation for something that seems so familiar in your home city. Super geeky, but really fascinating.

TL; DR - sorry - I geek out. ☺️

speedingfine

Re: Geeking out

Post by speedingfine »

In another universe, the folks capable of engineering feats like these are the venerated rock stars 😬😎

Also sounds like a far cry from Italian Mway bridges, thankfully.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Interesting stuff mik.
speedingfine wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:46 am In another universe, the folks capable of engineering feats like these are the venerated rock stars 😬😎
Couldn't agree more! :D

If you like that sort of thing, my old company did a pretty interesting bridge install a couple of months ago:

We're doing some pretty interesting stuff on the site I'm on at the moment too, but maybe I'll talk about it afterwards as it could be a bit hairy! :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

8-)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mik, the Birmingham motorway infrastructure is similar era and similarly cut through and raised up. It’s been suffering with age though and a lot of remedial work was carried out over the last few years on the Oldbury viaduct; fortunately finished just when I started driving it on my commute, because it was down to 30mph limits.

Glasgow isn’t suffering similarly yet, I assume?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Engineering is awesome 8-) Sadly though, in our country particularly, it seems to be hugely under-appreciated by the general populous.

Not sure I agree on the merits of central motorways though. I lived in Newcastle for 4 years which had one, and it always seemed like such a terrible arrangement. Great for ease of access to the centre, but shockingly bad in almost every other aspect in terms of impact to life and wellbeing. It's certainly not something you'd plan to do these days.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

The feats of engineering are amazing and very impressive.

I’m kind of with [mention]Swervin_Mervin[/mention] on the central ones though - one of the reasons we chose Edinburgh over Glasgow when we moved down here was because it doesn’t feel like as much of an enclosed city space as Glasgow does. Part of that is down to the whopping bit motorway running through it although I get it can be a bit more convenient at times. Although at busy times you just end up queuing in every direction like you do with any approach roads.
Cheers,

Mike.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik

Post by mik »

If you like listening to 6.37 statistical facts per minute, then you might enjoy this cinematic delight. With posh narrator.

https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/2728
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

That video about the Glasgow bridge/flyover construction is wonderful
mik

Post by mik »

Barely a hard hat in sight throughout.

Some great cost-saving innovations used - They cast the tallest supports in those massive shutters first, then cut them down progressively and reused them for the shorter ones. One of the main contractors was declared bankrupt the day before the bridge opened.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Uncle Buck
Re: Road Infrastructure Things Worth Visiting
Post by Uncle Buck » Mon Jul 20, 2020 21:10

Glasgow has a lot of interesting road things! The M8 at Charing Cross- in the city centre- is quite cool at night, there’s something oddly soothing about seeing a car swoosh through the underbelly of the city with everything around it all lit up.

There are also two great views on the northbound M77: first, between junctions 4 and 3, you come to the brow of a hill and see the whole city before you all of a sudden, before going down a steep hill and through a park! And then as you approach the M8 at Plantation junction (M8 J22), you are flush with the beautiful university building, which is at the same height as you despite being a couple of miles away on the opposite side of the river. A stunning view when the building is floodlit at night.

As mentioned above the M6 between Preston and Carlisle passes through some really dramatic scenery- a real feat of engineering.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

nuttinnew wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:43 pm
As mentioned above the M6 between Preston and Carlisle passes through some really dramatic scenery- a real feat of engineering.
Agreed. You get a good view of Yorkshire on one side. 😜