Mountain Biking general thread

Gwaredd

Re: Mountain Biking general thread

Post by Gwaredd »

Can I just point out that I've cracked two aluminium frames in the past (one Giant, one Trek), and both were unrepairable due the the fact that the aluminium needed to be heat treated (a long process) after the weld as it changes the structure of the metal.

My current bike (Cotic Soul) is Reynolds steel and can be welded if it breaks. Personally, I can't tell the difference between an alu bike or steel. This 'zing' they talk about is marketing bullshit IMO. A good bike is a good bike, regardless of material.

I also have Charge Spoons on both bikes. Great saddle, but still hurt after a period of bike inactivity however. You just need to build good arse resistance.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Gwaredd wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:41 am You just need to build good arse resistance.
In mountain biking and in life... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Cheers guys, one Charge Spoon Cromo saddle ordered.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Good to see cromo still wins somewhere :D
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:28 am Good to see cromo still wins somewhere :D
:lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:28 am Good to see cromo still wins somewhere :D
Well..... there is a titanium version that's another £20!
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:00 am
Well..... there is a titanium version that's another £20!
I did see a CF one at £425, :shock:
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:14 am YTs come with horrific saddles that hurt after about 15 mins, I have Charge Spoons on all my bikes - comfortable, reasonably priced and strong without looking like massive gel filled monstrosities found in Halfords/Amazon.
Me too on the Spoon and also my brother and another mate who cover big miles.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Planet X/On One have their generic bike work stand on offer for £29.99.

My dad has had one for a decade.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Brain Trust Assemble:

Was scrolling FB and someone was asking about putting a carbon bike on their roof. I have a Thule Freeride 591? but apparently you need a holder with a torque setting?

I mostly use my towbar rack but when away with the caravan I may take two bikes so will likely buy a new roof one as well, anyone had experience of problems? Would putting something rubber round where the rack clamps on save problems?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

No idea what a torque setting is but they recommend not using clamp type racks with carbon frames.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:17 am No idea what a torque setting is but they recommend not using clamp type racks with carbon frames.
Cheers. No, I assume you set it so you cannot overtighten on newer racks but no idea. I see there are racks that hold the wheel but doubt they will be on eBay for 30 notes! :(
8Ball

Post by 8Ball »

I use a Yakima Highroad for my carbon road bike, but have also had it in a Thule 598 and not worried; The Thule 598 (newer version of the 591) has a padded clamp, and a torque dial to stop you over clamping.

Neither will be £30 on ebay though, sorry.
8Ball

Post by 8Ball »

I think the Thule 591 will also be OK, just make sure it's positioned correctly and don't overtighten it. It only really needs to be tight enough to grip the frame and hold it upright, the wheel straps are what will hold it down.
John

Post by John »

Still no replacement ebike but TBH I'm on no rush, luckily.

Last week we spent a few days in Henley so as usual I took my bike. The quiet lanes in the Chiltern hills and the Chiltern Way are really nice for a steady ride taking in the scenery, some good climbs though. I passed through Turville which is often used for filming, Vicar of Dibley, Midsomer Murders and quite a few others. Nice place

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

8Ball wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:54 am I think the Thule 591 will also be OK, just make sure it's positioned correctly and don't overtighten it. It only really needs to be tight enough to grip the frame and hold it upright, the wheel straps are what will hold it down.
Reading a few threads on forums that got thrown up by my search, many folks seem to use the 591 carefully without problems, I might get the rubber frame thingy to spread the load but for the few times I am likely to use it (default to the buzzride one) it is probably not worth spending silly money.

Cheers
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

John wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:15 am Still no replacement ebike but TBH I'm on no rush, luckily.

Last week we spent a few days in Henley so as usual I took my bike. The quiet lanes in the Chiltern hills and the Chiltern Way are really nice for a steady ride taking in the scenery, some good climbs though. I passed through Turville which is often used for filming, Vicar of Dibley, Midsomer Murders and quite a few others. Nice place

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang too - that's where Caracatus Potts' windmill is: https://goo.gl/maps/E83kYLQsx6k5HAHdA
John

Post by John »

I'm not sure if I need Specsavers but I'm almost certain the windmill wasn't fitted with sails last week.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

But Streetview shows them so they must still be there! :lol:
John

Post by John »

:geek: