Mountain Biking general thread

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Mountain Biking general thread

Post by Jobbo »

I discovered my little chain lube bottle was empty. Two neat rodent-nibbled holes in the bottom. Fortunately I’d lubed the chain when I last used my bike so it was fine for my first ride of the year.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I rode my ebike into work (17.5 miles) again this morning. Last time it took an hour with a bit of messing about with unlocking it and I ran out of battery just before the end.

This time with a little battery management it took 52 minutes and I arrived with 2 bars (of 5) of battery left...

I can only assume that I hadn't fully charged last time!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Yes, not managing 17.5 miles would be a surprise even on a 400kWh battery bike run in turbo mode, surely? Are you running in full power mode all the way Rich? Obviously that average is above the limiter speed but since you've derestricted I guess it's using battery all the time unless you're freewheeling.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The difference e-Bikes make...

I did 20 miles on Wednesday and it took me 1 hour 45 mins... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:16 am Yes, not managing 17.5 miles would be a surprise even on a 400kWh battery bike run in turbo mode, surely? Are you running in full power mode all the way Rich? Obviously that average is above the limiter speed but since you've derestricted I guess it's using battery all the time unless you're freewheeling.
yeah, i ran it derestricted and switched between modes along the way. Most of it was in boost though.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Bloody e-Bikes... ;)

Nothing more demoralising on a climb to have someone zip past you on one of these thing while barely peddling!
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Ascender wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:15 pm Bloody e-Bikes... ;)

Nothing more demoralising on a climb to have someone zip past you on one of these thing while barely peddling!
then see them come down the trail, and pass you a second time on the same climb!

I can easily do two Or three times as many DH runs in the same time most normal bikers can do one. It means I can squeeze a whole days fun DH jump runs into about 2-3 hours -perfect for modern life.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Took my bike to get serviced for the first time since I got it this morning as it's been spitting me off due to the chain slipping. Thirty miles a week commuting for four years and hardly ever getting washed meant 'Good Lord it's totally fucked mate' was the basic message :lol:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Probably just needs a new chain and cassette 😃
Simon

Post by Simon »

It's all MP3s and streaming nowadays. We stopped using cassettes years ago.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
John

Post by John »

I've been riding to work on my ebike this week for the first time as I've been waiting for the off road sections to dry out and lighter evenings. When I rode in on my 29er it took me 50-55 minutes each way (8.5 miles), this dropped down to 43 minutes on the ebike. The difference between the outward and homebound journeys was just 35 seconds! There's a lot of climbing on the route so even with electric assistance you still get a good workout.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

dinny_g wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:24 pm Sticking this here because, well Cobbles… :lol:

Paris Roubaix’s on Eurosport and even more miserable than usual…
More classics this weekend. La Doyenne - Liege-Bastogne-Liege is on Sunday on Eurosport.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Just seen this one on insta. Wow!

Rich B

Post by Rich B »

That was almost a year ago - huge crash.... 😬
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I’ve seen that before too - doesn’t lose its impact watching again.

Had a great 40 mile ride today; max speed logged by my Apple Watch was 116mph 🤪 I didn’t go much over 40mph and not at that point on the ride anyway. Also said I’d gone down to 248ft below sea level. Heart rate monitoring seems fairly accurate though.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:20 pm That was almost a year ago - huge crash.... 😬
Yeah… that’s hard to watch… :shock: :cry:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

dinny_g wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:12 pm
Rich B wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:20 pm That was almost a year ago - huge crash.... 😬
Yeah… that’s hard to watch… :shock: :cry:
I can't begin to imagine how sore he must have been. Some brutal impacts. Glad he was ok! It is incredibly dramatic to watch.
John

Post by John »

After riding to work for three weeks I'm averaging over 50 miles from one charge, happy with that. The majority of the ride is done in eco with a few areas dropping into medium and one short very steep climb on the way home in high. I've upgraded my bell to an old school dingaling :lol: as the single ding bell wasn't cutting it with deaf dog owners.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Finally got myself onboard with the e-MTB trend, and collected my Orbea Rise H30 yesterday. Waiting for the first charge to finish before I give it a run. Ruddy expensive as far as my cycling history goes, but it was either this or a 125 m/bike, and this'll be far better for my health at least!

Impressed so far, as I chose this for it's halfway ground between usable trail bike and assistance. Shimano RS motor and 540wh batt. 20kgs all up.

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

That’s lovely Barry. I follow a chap on YouTube (Old Northern eMTBer) who has an Orbea Wild FS like mine and has just got a Rise as well. It’ll be interesting seeing how he uses each. I reckon it’s taken me quite a while to get used to the size and weight of the Wild - noticeable last weekend when I rode up Bredon Hill, which was one of my first rides on it just over a year ago. There’s a lot to be said for the lighter Rise; at a guess it’s like locking out Turbo on mine but saving 5kg too.