Mountain Biking general thread

ZedLeg

Re: Mountain Biking general thread

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:58 am
Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:46 am Some of that trendy riding, Rich 😃

How busy was it? I’m going to visit the Forest of Dean again but I’m planning to choose a quieter day.
we've been doing this "trendy" riding for the last 20 years (should really be better!)
Aye, most of the reason I'm completely broken today is doing that kind of trendy riding in the late 90s :lol:
An absolute unit
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Toying with the idea of getting a new bike. I bought the Acid 2.0 last year second hand and it is a decent bike but it has triple ring front and being a CUBE (Or at least this particular one) it is expensive to get a dropper fitted and if I trade in the virtually new Trek I bought for my wife, who then got a LaPierre which she prefers, and has sat unused by and large in the shed...... :)

My Daughter has also rocketed to a might 5 foot 3 so can fit a medium bike so she prefers the Cubs to the Trek so for the 3 times a year she would bother cycling I could maybe get a full suspension....

Trouble is I am tight so don't want to spend huge amounts but equally don't want a heavy as lead bike so I am swithering between a decent hardtail or a 1 year old £1500ish FS?

NOT an e-bike though as that wouldn't suit what I do
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Looks Ace Rich...

you should see if you can get the series of shots - see if he has you coming round that berm by the padded tree

- are they still called berms ??? :oops: :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, I got back into riding after uni (2001/02) when the whole freeride/northshore/DH thing was really kicking off and haven't stopped since.

We used to build loads too - jumps, berms, drops and daft northshore up in the trees, but the whole landowner/insurance situation kind of out a stop to all that, so we basically just ride prebuilt bike parks and trail centres now.

2002/3 doing the same shit - though I don't ride in jeans any more!

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, similar story for me. I BMX'd as a kid and the freeride/4X thing was starting to get big as I was starting to hit 6 foot so I moved to a 4X hardtail with a long travel fork. Been my favoured style of bike ever since.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:03 am Aye, similar story for me. I BMX'd as a kid and the freeride/4X thing was starting to get big as I was starting to hit 6 foot so I moved to a 4X hardtail with a long travel fork. Been my favoured style of bike ever since.
iStarting in BMX is always a good base for this sort of stuff - I've always been a mountain biker so had to unlearn my bad 1990s bunny hop style etc!!

Though I've completely forgotten how to ride a hardtail in the last xx years.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, coming from BMX I was a lot more comfortable in the air and using berms than folk who were trying out that style from cross country mtbs or whatever.

I never really got into full sus, couldn't afford it when I was younger and as I've got older I wasn't really doing the kind of riding where it was needed.

Modern hardtail design has come a long way as well. It's cool that you can buy something with pretty aggressive geometry and a 100mm travel fork as a reasonably cheap general use bike.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Gavin wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:48 am Toying with the idea of getting a new bike. I bought the Acid 2.0 last year second hand and it is a decent bike but it has triple ring front and being a CUBE (Or at least this particular one) it is expensive to get a dropper fitted and if I trade in the virtually new Trek I bought for my wife, who then got a LaPierre which she prefers, and has sat unused by and large in the shed...... :)

My Daughter has also rocketed to a might 5 foot 3 so can fit a medium bike so she prefers the Cubs to the Trek so for the 3 times a year she would bother cycling I could maybe get a full suspension....

Trouble is I am tight so don't want to spend huge amounts but equally don't want a heavy as lead bike so I am swithering between a decent hardtail or a 1 year old £1500ish FS?

Now is not the time to be toying with the idea - new bikes are hard to come by and used bikes are close to their new cost, so you'd have to really want or need it to pay or wait.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Has anybody tried one of those "bike racks for impractical cars" which will let you carry one bike on something like a Boxster? I'm sure Chris Harris has had pictures of them before - they seem to use suction cups?

Just wondering if they're actually any good and/or prohibitively expensive?
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

The Seasucker ones seem to have a very good rep, but not tried them myself.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Whilst I've been WFH I've been doing a quick little 5 mile circuit each day on my single speed (700c road wheels/tyres but only one gear) for a bit of fitness. It's got a couple of hills, but nothing too bad. I thought I'd jump on the ebike today to see how much faster I could go!

12kg Single speed:

24kg Ebike:

Pretty clear that my assist stops assisting around 19ish mph. I might up the limiter and give it another go one day!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I love the calorie counter.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:31 pm
Gavin wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:48 am Toying with the idea of getting a new bike. I bought the Acid 2.0 last year second hand and it is a decent bike but it has triple ring front and being a CUBE (Or at least this particular one) it is expensive to get a dropper fitted and if I trade in the virtually new Trek I bought for my wife, who then got a LaPierre which she prefers, and has sat unused by and large in the shed...... :)

Now is not the time to be toying with the idea - new bikes are hard to come by and used bikes are close to their new cost, so you'd have to really want or need it to pay or wait.
I'd agree if it were 6 months ago but our LBS have plenty new bikes in now. I have a 1 year old Trek which I could sell/trade in too so if I get close to what I paid I'd be happy. I may end up doing nowt though as I cannot decide and don't want to make an expensive mistake.
John

Post by John »

My ebike is going back to the dealer as the carbon rear triangle has started to crack. No spare parts available to repair and no stock to replace the bike either so not sure what I'm going to do yet.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

How old is it, John?
John

Post by John »

Seven months old and covered less than 500 miles.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

John wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:20 pm My ebike is going back to the dealer as the carbon rear triangle has started to crack. No spare parts available to repair and no stock to replace the bike either so not sure what I'm going to do yet.
Holy cow! :o That is a scunner. I have no idea why but CF bikes are not for me, I know they are light and strong but I have maybe watched too many F1 cars fire sharp shards across too many racetracks. I know it is not logical.

Glad you noticed it at least, rather than a failure out and about!
John

Post by John »

Many of the bike manufacturers seem to be going towards carbon now, not much choice in alloy at all if you want a highish spec.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I've seen far more cracked alloy frames than carbon. There's a great Santa Cruz video that shows them testing CF and alloy frames, it's pretty dramatic.

https://youtu.be/w5eMMf11uhM
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Well I tried my usual LBS to find out the Trek Fuel EX5 is June 2022 for delivery - @Jobbo that will teach me to believe the window display and "we have loads of bikes in stock" posts on social media!

My other LBS however has an Orbea Occam H30 coming in in the next month or so, or so he hopes, so i have got first dibs on that.

Now to explain to y dear wife "HOW BLOODY MUCH?" :oops: :lol: