DaveE

Re: Mountain Biking general thread

Post by DaveE »

That Orbea is five grand?!

Jeez that makes me feel very old!
Barry

Post by Barry »

Jobbo wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:59 pm There’s a lot to be said for the lighter Rise; at a guess it’s like locking out Turbo on mine but saving 5kg too.
That's the thing, I've never tried the big e bikes so I figured I won't miss the extra push, and the advantages they lighter bikes gives should make it an easier switch. Had a quick run around the area today, mostly paved stuff tbh, but it climbed a long hill at 13mph on Trail mode, and an easy 19mph cruise on the flat, which is well above the cut off for assistance of course (UK spec). Enjoying having full susp too!

And yes Dave, bloody expensive but it's not earning anything in the bank either. And they do 0% over 30 months. Chucked £2k down, rest on tick.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Haven't ridden those but the difference between Levo and Levo SL is similar to what you guys are talking about. The lower assist is made up for by the lighter weight to the extent that I think you'd only miss the full fat bike if you weren't riding regularly at all and your legs had basically no conditioning.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

DaveE wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:07 pm That Orbea is five grand?!

Tell me about it, I couldn't believe the price of mountain bikes when I went looking for a full-sus one a couple of months ago.
Cheers,

Mike.
Barry

Post by Barry »

KiwiDave wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:54 pm Haven't ridden those but the difference between Levo and Levo SL is similar to what you guys are talking about. The lower assist is made up for by the lighter weight to the extent that I think you'd only miss the full fat bike if you weren't riding regularly at all and your legs had basically no conditioning.
I've not ridden much for a couple years tbf, but I'll push through and see how it goes. It's possible to ride this without assistance too, although you quickly notice the weight 😆
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Ascender wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:46 am

Tell me about it, I couldn't believe the price of mountain bikes when I went looking for a full-sus one a couple of months ago.
I've always hankered after a full-sus, but having seen what prices are like now, I'm not sure I can bring myself to spend that much on something I only use occasionally
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

DaveE wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:59 am
Ascender wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:46 am

I've always hankered after a full-sus, but having seen what prices are like now, I'm not sure I can bring myself to spend that much on something I only use occasionally
I really struggled with justifying it. After getting out a few times with a mate I had a look in a shop at the trail and couldn't believe their bikes were starting at about 3500k. Said there was no way I'd spend that. A couple of days of searching online and I realised that was the going-rate for something decent.

I ended up getting one on 0% finance - half down and paying the rest up which kind of softened the blow a bit. I'm using it as a motivation to try and get fit again although its difficult with the long covid symptoms. The full-sus has totally transformed the riding experience though on anything fast & technical.
Cheers,

Mike.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Cycle to Work scheme if available to you could 0still gives a chunk off the price? And splits payments over 12 months.
Left over crest; tightens.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

It does seem mad that that's where we're at

That it's 'normal' or even acceptable to spend £4-5k on a pedal bike for pleasure (none of us is a professional rider)

In a time where seemingly half the country can't afford enough food and heating

Me getting old I guess

Seems daft that I could be looking at spending on a bike nearly 25% of what my M140i cost me (when you think of the relative value, utility etc)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

If you're a company director check out the BIK rules on buying it through the business too.

And Dave, I agree the price is mad - no doubt bolstered by the schemes.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Yes, I consider myself very fortunate to be able to do that but at the same time doesn't sit right. There's also still stock and supply chain issues which I'm sure isn't helping with the prices.
Cheers,

Mike.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'm well aware of the fact I'm very fortunate that I can afford this bike under current economic climate, and aside from this thread and a few mates I've not made much noise about it, for those reasons and more.

Aside from obvious health benefits, I do see this as alternative transport too, I *could* ride it to work if I can't justify another EV lease after the current one runs out.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Pretty much every ebike bought in my riding group over the last year has been an Orbea Rise, even converted a couple of e-sceptics. Enjoy Barry!

They're only poor value if they rot away in your garage rather than being used regularly. I know plenty of football fans who spend considerably more than the depreciation/maintenance of an ebike on going to watch their team.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I think most of us are pretty fortunate on this forum in terms of our day to day lives

As with the silly prices of watches these days, there's a very strong "I can afford it, I just choose not to" because I don't feel I'm getting value

Doesn't stop me wanting one though! 😀
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

DaveE wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:58 pm I think most of us are pretty fortunate on this forum in terms of our day to day lives

As with the silly prices of watches these days, there's a very strong "I can afford it, I just choose not to" because I don't feel I'm getting value

i'll never understand expensive watches. More money for something that doesn't work as well is a weird concept for me.

Expensive bikes are easy - I can go faster, do more difficult trails and have more fun on a more expensive bike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Rich B wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:22 pm
DaveE wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:58 pm I think most of us are pretty fortunate on this forum in terms of our day to day lives

i'll never understand expensive watches. More money for something that doesn't work as well is a weird concept for me.

Expensive bikes are easy - I can go faster, do more difficult trails and have more fun on a more expensive bike.
Yeah, watches are jewellery though - you don't buy them because they're functionally better than a Casio

My point was more that a few years ago, I could have justified to myself that a couple of grand on a used Submariner was value for money, now they list for about £7k I think, but you can't actually BUY one from a shop, and used/flipped they're over £10k now I think

For me, that doesn't represent value in the same way it used to

And in my mind, it wasn't really all that long ago that you could get a full-sus bike for £1-2k (of course, this is hindsight, and probably a LOT further back in time than I think!)

So I don't really know what my point is :)

Other than I think £5k for a pedal bike is too much :)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

DaveE wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:33 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:22 pm

Yeah, watches are jewellery though - you don't buy them because they're functionally better than a Casio

My point was more that a few years ago, I could have justified to myself that a couple of grand on a used Submariner was value for money, now they list for about £7k I think, but you can't actually BUY one from a shop, and used/flipped they're over £10k now I think

For me, that doesn't represent value in the same way it used to

And in my mind, it wasn't really all that long ago that you could get a full-sus bike for £1-2k (of course, this is hindsight, and probably a LOT further back in time than I think!)

So I don't really know what my point is :)

Other than I think £5k for a pedal bike is too much :)
Yeah, I don't get jewellery. I don't have any (I don't even have a wedding ring) and don't really desire any.

£5k for a normal pedal bike is too much. A £2-3k is probably still way more than most people would ever need.

However, when you start adding a £1500+ battery to a £3k bike and motor, then it suddenly starts to justify the cost. Especially when you start down the road of "well I can't put shitty base level brakes/wheels/forks/etc on a £5k bike - then it quickly becomes a £6k bike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I'm sure it basically stems from an internal conflict that I'd like to try one, and I'm pretty certain (i.e. scared!) that I'd want one having ridden one

That, and I'm clearly tight!

If you really wanted one.... Etc 😂
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

They are great. Particularly for people who don't have whole days to devote to riding. You can literally cram whole days of fun into a few hours - recovering on the way back up the trails, then you get back to the top ready to hammer it down again...

.....jjjooooooiiiiinnnnnnnn uuuuuuuusssssssssssss.......
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Noooooo don’t become one of them 😂
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…