Mountain Biking general thread

ZedLeg

Re: Mountain Biking general thread

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, if the bike hadn’t come already assembled they would’ve never left the bag.

Scratched the spokes up a bit taking the reflectors off which was a bit annoying but nothing a touch up with a black sharpie won’t fix :lol:
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Though I do have a strange enjoyment for using the chainwhip to remove the cassette to get rid of the dork disks.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I couldn’t be bothered doing that so I just went at it with snips.
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:33 pm Had to adjust the breaks on my new bike so got round to taking all the plastic tat off. Looks much better.

C25D3AB5-D7D7-419F-94FD-D90306A8B247.jpeg
Brakes* 😉

Great, now you will be invisible side on with no reflectors. 🤪
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Simon wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:00 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:33 pm Had to adjust the breaks on my new bike so got round to taking all the plastic tat off. Looks much better.

C25D3AB5-D7D7-419F-94FD-D90306A8B247.jpeg
Brakes* 😉

Great, now you will be invisible side on with no reflectors. 🤪
So much fail in this post.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:47 pm It always makes me laugh when you get given a bag of that crap with a high end bike!
And a bell... :lol: top end hardcore downhill bike with a little ding, ding bell.

I think shops have to do that though but it’s still ridiculous
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

My partner wanted me to put the bell on “what if you need to get someone’s attention”, she also thought I should leave the reflectors on though. She’s been barred from any input on how the bike looks now :lol:
An absolute unit
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I can understand a bell if you ride towpaths and bridleways. Even with the super loud Hope Pro Evo2 hub, people don't hear me coming. A shout of 'passing on your right' will ensure a group of people scattering every which way like a flock of sheep. None of the directions they flee will alow me to pass! :lol:
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:14 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:47 pm It always makes me laugh when you get given a bag of that crap with a high end bike!
And a bell... :lol: top end hardcore downhill bike with a little ding, ding bell.

I think shops have to do that though but it’s still ridiculous
They do, apparently - when I got my bike it was in stock and they said they'd have to fit a bell before I picked it up. It wasn't fitted when I collected it and I was quite happy, until I started to encounter pedestrians on cycle tracks. So now I have a nice colour-matched blue anodised bell to go with my pedals and bottle cage :lol:

ETA: exactly the same problem here, Gwaredd - you shout early and they still jump out of their skin and directly into your path. Bell is by far the best warning.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I did fit the bell for 5 minutes, I was able to tuck it out of the way by the gear selector. Decided I didn't need it though and took it off again.

Ooh, blue anodised bottle cage Jobbo. Very 90's cool :lol:
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Cracking pictures @Jobbo.

I've gone and ordered a gravel bike. And I guess I'll be keeping the bell on it given the sort of shared paths & trails I can go on.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:05 pm I did fit the bell for 5 minutes, I was able to tuck it out of the way by the gear selector. Decided I didn't need it though and took it off again.

You jest, but I've got a set of blue anodised bar ends I'm debating whether to fit...

Mike, I have to take still photos because I'm never going to be strapping a GoPro to myself :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:46 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:05 pm I did fit the bell for 5 minutes, I was able to tuck it out of the way by the gear selector. Decided I didn't need it though and took it off again.

You jest, but I've got a set of blue anodised bar ends I'm debating whether to fit...
:lol:

I still find my self wrapping my hands over the ends of the bars on a long climb or flat drag even though I haven't had bar ends on a bike in about 20 years.

You need to get a flat bar and trim it down to about 12" to get the full retro experience.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Wow, I didn't even know they still sold bar ends! 😂
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:56 pm

Hard to find in blue - got them from here: https://www.bankruptbikeparts.co.uk/
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:03 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:56 pm
Hard to find in blue - got them from here: https://www.bankruptbikeparts.co.uk/
I reckon they're left over from the 90's! They belong in a museum! 😂
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I think they are :lol: As I said, I'm debating it - I've had bar ends ever since I got a new bike in 1994, and it's easy enough even now to find new ones in black so some people still like them. I have found myself holding the ends of the bars like Zed, but modern bars are wider and I think bar ends would get in the way more than they'd be useful.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Mike, I have to take still photos because I'm never going to be strapping a GoPro to myself :lol:
Get them on there!

Same with the GoPro, get it on your helmet so you can look properly gnarly/special.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I think you're supposed to use something like a strap-on harness for GoPro mounting for the best view. Take the strap-on itself off first, of course, in case it gets in shot.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Go pros are funny things - they flatten/make everything look tiny, and unless you're actually going to do something with the footage a bit pointless. However, they're at their best when you're following someone else very close down a run.

I have one for a bit of fun and go with either a chest or helmet mount, mounting it on the bike itself is a bit of a gimmick that you'll do once then never again because the film is so shaky.

My normal mount is this one under the peak on my full face helmet. Even with a little Session 5, you can still feel the weight pulling down on the helmet (requote at will).