Mountain Biking general thread

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: Mountain Biking general thread

Post by Gavin »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:41 am I'm intending to get an e-bike this year but I keep ending up at full suspension MTBs and a £5k+ price. I've never gone trail riding (well, unless you count cycling up public footpaths up hills 25 years ago) but full suspension seems to be worth it on an e-bike even just for road riding.

Going to visit Onbike in Worcester to have a sit on some when I get the chance.
A mate of mine imports e trail bikes for about £1500 which would probably be spot on for the riding you describe, i can check the make if you have any interest?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Gavin wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:21 pm
Jobbo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:41 am I'm intending to get an e-bike this year but I keep ending up at full suspension MTBs and a £5k+ price. I've never gone trail riding (well, unless you count cycling up public footpaths up hills 25 years ago) but full suspension seems to be worth it on an e-bike even just for road riding.

A mate of mine imports e trail bikes for about £1500 which would probably be spot on for the riding you describe, i can check the make if you have any interest?
Yes please.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Cheers Gavin - I want to try an actual bike for size. There’s so much variety available online that it’s easy enough to buy something, less so to make sure it suits you. The tax relief renders it pointless trying to make a substantial saving.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

IMO when it comes to e-bikes, stick to the decent brands, the more obscure or cheaper names throwing less R&D at them make them real dogs. That goes for any style too, town bikes, commuter bikes, E-MTB hardtails and full suspension.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

KiwiDave wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:05 pm IMO when it comes to e-bikes, stick to the decent brands, the more obscure or cheaper names throwing less R&D at them make them real dogs.
I'd agree to a degree. I still think it's bloody disgraceful an eBike costs 5 grand upwards, but can appreciate my way a looking at things is very out of date. I still think a new Mondeo should cost around £15k. I think my brain is stuck in the 90's :lol:

But when it comes to the boutique bikes that cost ten grand plus, they can fuck right off. No need for that shit. It's like riding jewelery.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

After a couple of days riding my new bike around I'm a convert to 29 inch wheels.

As a general town bike it's perfect. The way you're able to keep up with traffic for very little effort is amazing.

Bike itself still needs a little fiddling. I swapped the plastic pedals for some DMR V12s I had lying around and that's improved things a little but the gearshift seems a little sloppy and the fork needs a bit of adjustment too.
An absolute unit
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Zonda_ wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:14 pm
Gavin wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:21 pm

Yes please.
Rokbike.com

www.Rokbike.com

He shoots round Kielder trails and the Northumberland hills on one. Probably no use for black routes but would be fine for trails etc.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Am I mad for wanting 27.5" wheels? I've had 29"s on my Specialized Crosstrail for about 9 years and the bike feels large, particularly when loading it into the boot of my car. I'm not tall but generally fit on a medium rather than a small frame, so I'm really looking for something where you don't just get 27.5" wheels on the smallest size and 29"s on the rest.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gwaredd wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 am
KiwiDave wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:05 pm IMO when it comes to e-bikes, stick to the decent brands, the more obscure or cheaper names throwing less R&D at them make them real dogs.
I'd agree to a degree. I still think it's bloody disgraceful an eBike costs 5 grand upwards, but can appreciate my way a looking at things is very out of date. I still think a new Mondeo should cost around £15k. I think my brain is stuck in the 90's :lol:

But when it comes to the boutique bikes that cost ten grand plus, they can fuck right off. No need for that shit. It's like riding jewelery.
Yeah, I don't see the benefit in spending £10k on a pimped up Santa Cruz or something. I like to buy the best I can, but not paying purely for bling (though I do like the bling of CF) my last two bikes:

2017 YT Capra CF - £3000
Carbon, full sus, mid level kit,

2021 YT Decoy Shred - £5399 (+ plus import tax now)
Carbon, full sus, mid/high level kit, battery, motor,

They're basically the same bike, but add maybe £600-700 for battery, £600-700 for motor, +£500 for better fork and shock, +£200 for better kit, etc and you've pretty much shown the difference.

The basic math for YT anyway seems to be that you add about £2k to add the decent e kit.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

TBF, mines is an XL frame and it's a very big bike. I don't think I'd use it for more technical trail stuff as I don't think it'd be agile enough.
An absolute unit
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Finally got out and had a look at e-bikes. I wasn’t going to buy one today but I fell in love with an Orbea Wild FS M20 so I’ve put down a deposit and get it next weekend.

Fortunate that they had one left in stock in my size. No Cubes, which is what I went to have a look at, but the Orbea was gorgeous so I think my scope creep was inevitable 😂
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

HUGE scope creep! That's a seriously capable machine!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Yeah, massively so and some components (forks, for example) are way better than I’ll ever use; but in practice they don’t really cost anything more bought with the bike. It fits me, it’s available and it’s gorgeous so easy decision 😃

The chap in the shop and I were talking about people buying Range Rovers and not using them... I know if I bought a RR then I’d take it green-laning so perhaps I will explore its abilities at some point. Do some trendy riding, perhaps...
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yep, it probably more like having a Ferrari and mainly using it for leisurely drives rather than 110% on track days. Still damn good fun so why not!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It’ll do everything I want, except be light enough to chuck over stiles on footpaths - and no e-MTB is light enough for that.

Having never been to a bike park or similar, what exactly could I do with it that doesn’t risk breaking my neck? I’m sure it’s more about the rider than the bike anyway...
John

Post by John »

Very nice 8-)

At least you won't need to spend any more money on upgrades.

Oh, and my bikes are all more capable than me :D
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:54 pm It’ll do everything I want, except be light enough to chuck over stiles on footpaths - and no e-MTB is light enough for that.

Having never been to a bike park or similar, what exactly could I do with it that doesn’t risk breaking my neck? I’m sure it’s more about the rider than the bike anyway...
most bike parks are graded like ski resorts. Blue trails can be ridden by most as they don't have jumps/drops (well, if they do they can be rolled over) and are fun from beginner level up. But the bigger trail centres, which are basically woods with cycle trails are probably most fun for beginner level as you can explore more.

As for the bike, I don't know much about Orbea, and yeah, maybe a 140mm travel bike may be more suited, but with the motor there's far less issue with having too much travel so fuck it, have the one you like the look of most!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I forgot to mention the dropper post. Something I’ve never had, never considered I’d need because I’m not a downhill racer, but amazingly I loved it immediately. Unexpected. Useful for a shortarse 😁
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yeah you'll be able to use it for getting on ;)
The artist formerly known as _Who_