Mountain Biking general thread

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Mountain Biking general thread

Post by Jobbo »

If you google Cobstone Windmill there are a few photos of it without sails.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Anyone on here understand bike geometry? My new bike is a small frame and after doing 11 miles on it t'other day I was quite achey across my shoulders and lower back. New saddle that you all recommended was very comfy though!

Is there anything I can do to alter the bike easily? I have seen stem alterations but has anyone had this happen?

My wife took my old Cube out to Glentress yesterday and loved it compared to her LaPierre as the front forks are really decent but I suspect passing the Vitus to her and then getting myself a bigger bike may be a step too far....... 8-)
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

How tall are you Gav ?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Saddle height could be an easy fix. An inch either way can make a big difference.

Other than that, move saddle forward or back (cheap/easy) or adjust the angle for the back pain - or a different length stem (expensive/difficult)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Carlos wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:15 am How tall are you Gav ?
5 9 and three quarters! (them 3/54 are important to shorties like me)

My Cube is a medium but I will try @dinny_g advice as I did just pop the new saddle on and I know the height is an inch too low so that would be the dream fix.

Although I wouldn't cry too many tears at having to buy another bike...... :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol: - good - if it’s a choice between longer stem and a new bike, get a new bike!

Fwiw - I’m also 5’9 3/4” but I’m “Irish Framed” - Long Back and short Legs. Specialized Hard Tail was perfect for me
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

There are various ways to adjust the size - being even more of a shortarse I'm right at the limit of sizing, so I don't think the small is the wrong size for you.
- Move the seat backwards or forwards on the adjuster rails
- Twist the bars if there's even a slight rise
- obviously adjust the saddle; if you have a dropper then you can easily play with it on the fly to find the right height.

More drastic (i.e. you need to buy bits):
- riser bars
- different length stem
- different seatpost (if the saddle doesn't go low or high enough)
- shorter crank arms, might be useful if you want the saddle to be higher but are at the limit of your leg length

Sounds to me like the reach might be too far so you're leaning on the front, which would explain the achey arms. So start by moving the seat forward and go from there.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Cheers @Jobbo I just chucked the new saddle on and didn't adjust it at all so that is likely the culprit as the other rides, although shorter, did not cause any issues.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Crikey. At 5'9" I would say you almost qualify for a large frame. I'm 6'2" and ride a large, but know I should be on an XL really. I prefer the feel of a large through the trees though. but It's a pain on longer rides, even with my comedy seatpost and long reach stem.

Get a new bike - it's too small ;)

My wife is 5'4" and rides a medium framed Kona with a zero reach stem and it fits her perfectly.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

A mate who is my height has had large and medium frames. Maybe it is simply too small.....
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Mine's a 17" frame (cause it's old... :lol: )

Would that qualify as small, medium ??
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

IIRC Gavin has an Orbea which is similar geometry to mine; mine's a small and I'm just under 5'6", and if it were any bigger it would be too big for me. Most of the time I don't let the dropper rise quite to its full extension. There's definitely plenty of space on it for someone 3" taller to be comfortable.

Anyway, you don't get aching arms from the bars being too close, I'd say.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:33 pm IIRC Gavin has an Orbea which is similar geometry to mine; mine's a small and I'm just under 5'6", and if it were any bigger it would be too big for me. Most of the time I don't let the dropper rise quite to its full extension. There's definitely plenty of space on it for someone 3" taller to be comfortable.

I had a deposit down on one but no date came in and I got a Vitus Sommet instead. I will adjust the saddle after lunch and see if that makes a difference,
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:33 pm Anyway, you don't get aching arms from the bars being too close, I'd say.
This ...
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Gavin wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:14 pm
Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:33 pm IIRC Gavin has an Orbea which is similar geometry to mine; mine's a small and I'm just under 5'6", and if it were any bigger it would be too big for me. Most of the time I don't let the dropper rise quite to its full extension. There's definitely plenty of space on it for someone 3" taller to be comfortable.

I had a deposit down on one but no date came in and I got a Vitus Sommet instead. I will adjust the saddle after lunch and see if that makes a difference,
Vitus size guide says 5'2 to 5'6 for a small !
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Carlos wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:54 pm
Gavin wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:14 pm

Vitus size guide says 5'2 to 5'6 for a small !
Hmmmm, well that is a pest, although I always felt the crossbar on the Cube and the Merida that I had before was slightly too close when stopping. Will try the saddle move first though.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Just caught up with yesterday’s TdF race, fuck yeah!!!

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

:roll: :D
Last edited by Carlos on Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Keep that Lycra crap out of my mountain biking thread!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol: