Mountain Biking general thread

dinny_g

Re: Mountain Biking general thread

Post by dinny_g »

Can I get come recommendations for full finger gloves ???

I've never bothered before but lately, both thumbs are getting pretty numb towards the end of a long ride - suppose, they're directly in the wind flow - which is making gear changes a bit of a pain.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I'm going to both recommend my cheapy Aldi gloves (keep me warm, fit well, go through the washing machine without being destroyed) and be interested in other recommendations. I'd like to be able to use my phone (mounted on the bars) without having to take my glove off to work the touchscreen, particularly when I want to bring the OS map up as I'm riding.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

After 15 or so years riding in all weather, I have yet to find a glove that keeps my hands warm on a long winter ride that still allows enough dexterity to change gears and hang on through technical trails. If I were just riding fire roads or A to B, I suspect winter mittens are the way to go. But I'm not, so have never tried them.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, I just wear the same long fingered Fox gloves all year round and I do get cold fingers on night rides and hot hands in summer.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

My cheap Aldi gloves are much too warm for summer but don't seem to impede my fingers otherwise. Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough :lol:
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I depends how long you're out for and how susceptible you are to the cold I guess. Some nights we'd be out on the plain for 3+hours and my hands and ears would suffer. My feet and everything else are fine (in fact, I wear shorts all year round on the bike). Others would suffer cold legs or arms, but not hands.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
John

Post by John »

I also use the winter Aldi gloves but add a separate thin liner glove when it’s really cold, makes a big difference.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yeah same, I wear shorts all year. The only issue I really get is cold feet when they get wet, I usually put a plastic bag over my feet between 2 socks to try and counter this, but cold fingers, I just put up with.
John

Post by John »

I’ve got an Endura one piece MTB suit which I wear over my MTB gear and it’s a game changer, just peel it off after the ride and you’re spotless underneath. The mud can be pretty horrendous where we ride too.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all!

John

Post by John »

Uncanny :)
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

100% Brisker are good gloves for chilly days without feeling like you’re wearing ski gloves. Not sure if they still do them but I got the “winter” 5:10 shoes a few years ago and those plus thicker wool socks keep my feet nice unless it’s well below freezing.

I’m a convert to trousers too, pretty much autumn to spring. They’re not that hot or awkward any more. So nice to get back from a muddy ride and just peel off outer layers, not be dropping lumps of mud around the house.
John

Post by John »

I’ve been to Whinlatter trail centre this week and it is made for e bikes, the climb to Whinlatter itself must be miserable on a normal bike (if you aren’t driving there) and then the trails themselves are a good slog to the top. Really enjoyable trails though and definitely worth a visit if you’re in the area. Most of the trails are red with small sections of black, even the blue trail was really good.

The only disappointment was the fog so I didn’t get to enjoy the views.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I decided to test out the ebike for commuting today - I left my car at work on Friday because we were out for drinks, so went to retrieve it today.

It's around 17 miles and fairly hilly and I wanted to try it on "not a work day" before going for it. I whacked it on boost and set off. It was pretty soon after that I stopped and reset the motor settings to "unrestricted" as 19mph is just too slow to cruise. All went well, except in unrestricted boost setting the battery ran out about half a mile or so short of the destination.

In a car my daily journey typically takes 40 mins to an hour. On my bike, with the stop to change the settings, a couple of wrong turns because I went back roads and the last bit in unassisted, it took an hour and 6 seconds (17.6 miles). With a bit of battery management, a check of the route and starting in unrestricted I reckon I could lose another 5+ mins off that without too much trouble, plus I'm very unfit at the moment.

With all that, it's worth remembering it's basically a 50+lb down hill bike with 180mm suspension with no lock outs, on 2.8inch off road tyres (that could have done with some more psi!) It's bonkers really - one bike really can do everything these days.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Would it make much difference if you ran in the normal setting rather than boost? I don’t run derestricted so can’t compare, but the boost mode seems more relevant at lower speeds anyway up hills.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:29 pm Would it make much difference if you ran in the normal setting rather than boost? I don’t run derestricted so can’t compare, but the boost mode seems more relevant at lower speeds anyway up hills.
yes, eco or trail gives less torque so uses less power. With boost mode there are no lower speed hills on road.
John

Post by John »

Rich's post reminded me that I've not mentioned my new commuter bike, although it's not a mountain bike.

I've decided to start commuting to work by bike as I've wanted to do it for years but could never find a route I'd be happy riding. After making the effort to study Google maps and have a test ride or two I've found one I'm pretty happy with, it's just under nine miles each way and only around 20% is on the road. I'll strictly be a fair weather rider though and won't be starting until the clocks change at the earliest. Sheffield is very hilly so a little electric assistance will stop me arriving at work a sweaty mess.

The bike is an Orbea Vibe with an alloy frame and carbon fork. The motor is a rear wheel hub motor with the battery in the down tube and the bike only weighs 15kg. The main thing I like is with a casual glance it could easily pass for a normal commuter bike so shouldn't attract the attention of any n'er do wells. Really looking forward to using it.

Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Quite an appealing thing to have as a tool - very well packaged! - and at 15kg it's a bit more manageable without the power on! I'm looking forward to it being a bit lighter in the morning/evening!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich, I meant would it make much difference to your commute time if you didn’t run in boost. If you’re draining the battery completely each way in boost it would be interesting to know the difference.

Like that, John. 15kg is really light - what’s the battery capacity and range?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:11 pm Rich, I meant would it make much difference to your commute time if you didn’t run in boost. If you’re draining the battery completely each way in boost it would be interesting to know the difference.
Yeah, I left it in boost deliberately today to see what would happen - the sensible thing would have been to put it down a mode or two when I got down to the last bar. I expect next time I'll try other modes!