Mountain Biking general thread

dinny_g

Re: Mountain Biking general thread

Post by dinny_g »

I carry 2 spare tubes and a small pump. I have tyre leavers but to be honest, I can re-sit the tyres by hand.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

dan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:30 pm
Rich B wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:38 pm Lots of people swear by tubeless, it just seems a load of faf to me. Hassle to set up, needs an expensive pump/compressor, needs maintaining, burps out air on hard corners, etc...

If I lived somewhere thorny like American hot places, then I'd probably see the benefit more. Even though I currently carry 2 tubes because I ride a mullet.

Try it though, your bike will be ready to convert.
I’ve never struggled to seat tyres with just a track pump so you definitely don’t need any expensive gear. Until I tried it I thought it was a gimmick but couldn’t go back now.

Last time I had a tyre off it was full off evidence of punctures I didn’t get, it’s awesome.
Exactly the same for me too Dan. All my mates used stans and had problems, so I never bothered for years until I bought a new 27.5 wheeled bike. I use Orange endurance sealant, Maxxis tyres and a track pump. It just pops on the rim easily every time. Never knowingly had a puncture, but when I top the sealant up every 6 to12 months, the evidence I have is all there to see. I still carry a spare tube and a pump though!
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

If you ever use the spare tube, presumably it’ll get multiple punctures straight away from all the thorns still in your tyre? 😂

Cheers though, Dan and Gwaredd. Seems worth trying.

Dinny, I’ve never had a problem getting tyres on and off a rim but these tubeless ready ones have a different bead so were a bit of a pig. I used tyre levers.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:44 am
Dinny, I’ve never had a problem getting tyres on and off a rim but these tubeless ready ones have a different bead so were a bit of a pig. I used tyre levers.
ah right, gotcha - tubeless are bound to need a much tighter seal.

I dunno, you youngsters and your new fangled bike tech... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I rarely get punctures in my tubed tyres but like my tyres quite hard, normally 60psi back and 55 front.

Dave!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I tend not to get any punctures in my unassisted bike - I run Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres which have some sort of puncture protection, and I run them at about 70psi. I also don't ride it down bridleways and other unmade lanes where I'm likely to pick up thorns, so it's probably not just the tyres!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

V8Granite wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:18 am I rarely get punctures in my tubed tyres but like my tyres quite hard, normally 60psi back and 55 front.

Dave!
That must be like riding on wagon wheels :lol:
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:46 am
V8Granite wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:18 am I rarely get punctures in my tubed tyres but like my tyres quite hard, normally 60psi back and 55 front.

Dave!
That must be like riding on wagon wheels :lol:
There is a nice spread on them as I’m a big fat bugger.

Dave!
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Rich B wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:38 pm Lots of people swear by tubeless, it just seems a load of faf to me. Hassle to set up, needs an expensive pump/compressor, needs maintaining, burps out air on hard corners, etc...

If I lived somewhere thorny like American hot places, then I'd probably see the benefit more. Even though I currently carry 2 tubes because I ride a mullet.

Try it though, your bike will be ready to convert.
I thought so too but it's been a revelation. Old bike was Gorilla tape and slightly porous non-TL Schwalbes - went up OK and sealed themselves fine. New wheels are proper tubeless rims plus tubeless Maxxis and I could get those up with just a track pump before I'd even put sealant in. I did try to do a mate's bike and we couldn't get one of the old tyres up at all, airshot or compressor. New tyre and it was fine.

Maintaining is just syringing a bit more sealant in through the valve a couple of times a year. And pulling out things from the tyre that would have caused punctures :lol: Only had to use an anchovy once, usually you just spin the wheel to move the sealant about and it sorts itself out. Top up air and off you go. No burping but I don't go to silly low pressures.

I still carry a tube although not entirely sure why, haven't had a failure the sealant / anchovy wouldn't sort and anything much worse would probably destroy the tyre or wheel in the process. (btw a 26 tube will fit a 29 so no need to carry two!)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I have now committed to ebikes, so I sold my YT Capra last week, covid has helped keep values up as I only lost around £1k in 4 years.

Bought feb 2017 £2,899 - Sold May 2021 £1,850

I was originally wanting £2k, but I got it out and it had a creaking BB and the (awful) E13 dropper post had given up so I accepted a lower offer. I might have got more if I'd held out a bit, but selling stuff is hateful, so happy to deal with the nice genuine guy who turned up first!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Had a ride round the Forest of Dean today. Looked at the cycle centre but had no desire to use the dedicated trails; it was heavingly busy. So I just rode round the forest instead.

I’ve finally found a use for EMTB mode; that’s the mode which varies the assistance depending on pedal effort. I didn’t find it very natural so have ignored it until today. Climbing a very long, steep, muddy and rocky track I kept wheelspinning. I knocked it back from Turbo and realised that EMTB mode gave as much assistance when I had grip but backed off when the wheel spun since there was less resistance. Which acted like a quite effective traction control - unexpected, and I’m not sure if it’s what Bosch intended, but really useful.
John

Post by John »

I've got an auto mode on mine which is similar to your EMTB mode, I've never used it so will have to give it a try.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Forest of Dean bike park (flyup Downhill) is great - I've probably ridden there 20+ times over the years (which is quite a bit for a park that's 150 miles away!) it's our standard place for our Xmas ride, because it's so rideable in the wet.

Never ridden uphill there though - the uplift is so well laid out and quick, we've never thought to try anything other than the main downhill trail network.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The particular track I was on when I discovered the EMTB usefulness isn’t in the main forest - it was over towards Soudley, past Ruspidge. I will try the dedicated trails some time, but probably on a weekday so it’s quiet.
John

Post by John »

Nice day for a trundle

simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Verderers and Freeminers tracks at FoD are great. The carpark can be heaving but most people are going around at similar speed so don't see many other people out on the trails, except for the odd ebiker breezing past on the climbs.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I have appeared to have lost my battle with old father time - I've bought a "comfortable" saddle for my Hardtail Specialized...

90 minutes off road on 2.1" tyres with 45 psi is fine - plenty of cushioning and probably out of the saddle more than sitting. But I'm cycling a lot more on the road and on MK's Red Ways at the moment and with slick tyres running 70 or 80 psi and spending those 90 minutes in the saddle, I don't mind admitting - my coccyx is banjacksed... Requote at will... :lol:

So I bought a generic £20 saddle from amazon and the difference is remarkable. It's an easy switch so I will probably swab back when I go for a proper ride (just add it to the prep task of replacing the tyres) because I don't think I could take the disapproving looks for the Rich_B's of this world... :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:44 pm I have appeared to have lost my battle with old father time - I've bought a "comfortable" saddle for my Hardtail Specialized...

90 minutes off road on 2.1" tyres with 45 psi is fine - plenty of cushioning and probably out of the saddle more than sitting. But I'm cycling a lot more on the road and on MK's Red Ways at the moment and with slick tyres running 70 or 80 psi and spending those 90 minutes in the saddle, I don't mind admitting - my coccyx is banjacksed... Requote at will... :lol:

So I bought a generic £20 saddle from amazon and the difference is remarkable. It's an easy switch so I will probably swab back when I go for a proper ride (just add it to the prep task of replacing the tyres) because I don't think I could take the disapproving looks for the Rich_B's of this world... :lol:
Nah, i'm in the "ride whatever you like, so long as you are having fun" camp.

Except for gravel bikes. They suck.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:

Rich_B is a generic term for “someone who knows what they’re doing” a bit like Biro or Hoover... ;)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I’m still not sure what a gravel bike is - basically a cyclocross bike with a more sensible gear range?