FAO Alex

240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Re: FAO Alex

Post by 240PP »

McSwede wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:52 pm I get the connection to DB7 but it'd be a 9 everytime for me.
My thinking exactly. The DB9 is one of the most perfectly proportioned cars ever IMO.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I'd take this over a DB7 any day.

A DB9 though....
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Delphi wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:35 am I'd take this over a DB7 any day.

A DB9 though....
That engine bay is crying out for a clean! Lot of car for the money 8-)
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:41 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:32 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:35 pm The DB7 GT is basically an early DB9, they would be my pick but I’d be very happy with a DB7!
Engine-wise maybe, but the DB9 is a totally different platform and also gets you away from that Jag interior.

All else being equal, I'd take the DB9 over the DB7, but I don't have the family/nostalgic connection to the DB7.
I don’t think it was the Vanquish but the DB7 GT was used as a method to cut development costs for either the DB9 or Vanquish, so the chassis and driveline is a half way house between the two and that’s why it’s a better drivers car than a normal DB7. Pretty clever back in the day and helped the cost situation.
The DB7 GT apparently had uprated springs and dampers, minor aerodynamic tweaks to the wheelarches and lighter wheels: http://classicmotorhub.com/blog/aston-m ... 20F%2Dtype.
Not entirely sure those tweaks to a steel DB7 would have given them a head start on development of the carbon/aluminium Vanquish or all-aluminium DB9, nor is it much of a halfway house :lol:
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:16 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:41 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:32 pm

Engine-wise maybe, but the DB9 is a totally different platform and also gets you away from that Jag interior.

All else being equal, I'd take the DB9 over the DB7, but I don't have the family/nostalgic connection to the DB7.
I don’t think it was the Vanquish but the DB7 GT was used as a method to cut development costs for either the DB9 or Vanquish, so the chassis and driveline is a half way house between the two and that’s why it’s a better drivers car than a normal DB7. Pretty clever back in the day and helped the cost situation.
The DB7 GT apparently had uprated springs and dampers, minor aerodynamic tweaks to the wheelarches and lighter wheels: http://classicmotorhub.com/blog/aston-m ... 20F%2Dtype.
Not entirely sure those tweaks to a steel DB7 would have given them a head start on development of the carbon/aluminium Vanquish or all-aluminium DB9, nor is it much of a halfway house :lol:
I’m only quoting direct from an Aston engineer who was leading the development plan. Next time I see him I’ll let him know he’s wrong ;)
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Delphi wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:35 am I'd take this over a DB7 any day.

A DB9 though....
2+2 possibilities of the DB7/9 help the cause here.
GG.

Post by GG. »

You can't fit anything in the back of a DB9 (and I therefore expect a 7 is the same or worse and neither are as useful as even a 911). If you need a proper 2+2, buy a Grandturismo. My dad's had a DB9 and currently has a Grandturismo S MC Shift so I'm speaking from first hand experience here.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

😂 tried to fit in the back of one?
How about not having a sig at all?
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:26 pm 2+2 possibilities of the DB7/9 help the cause here.
Let's be honest, the back seats of pretty much any 2 + 2 are pretty much useless. Any child small enough to fit in the back should really be in a car seat that wouldn't fit in the rear buckets.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

This seems to be reminiscent of the "Should I buy a doom blue 5series with the shit engine but all the options"

Just buy what you want, why even ask the collective? Would the Jag/AM be faster than your Porsche? Pretty sure it won't be as good to drive although I get the AM would be an occasion and wafting about is cool.

Who was it that obsessed over the two V6 Mondeo engines in the DB7?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think the real solution here is a sledgehammer and a wider garage door.
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:45 pm https://www.slades-garage.co.uk/vehicle ... ef343cc802

This would apparenty fit the garage with an inch to spare but I'm guessing a little on what the mirrors take up. Challenge with all this would be the only real way to test whether a car fits is to get one to the house before buying :)
I can measure my Vantage (and my garage door) if that helps ?

Are you local to Slades ? They always have a few 360s in stock I’ve been thinking about visiting. We could have a double date 8-)
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

GG. wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:33 pm You can't fit anything in the back of a DB9 (and I therefore expect a 7 is the same or worse and neither are as useful as even a 911). If you need a proper 2+2, buy a Grandturismo. My dad's had a DB9 and currently has a Grandturismo S MC Shift so I'm speaking from first hand experience here.
Ah, interesting :( Too small even for a 9 to 12 year old with the passenger seat forward a little (wife is short enough)? We're talking 3 hour journeys on occasion, too.

And Slades is pretty close to me - I sense a visit and installing daughter in the back of their DB9 will be required then. And Gavin, explain to me how this reminds you of the 520d, bearing in mind this kind of conversation is what happens on a monthly basis on this forum :roll:
GG.

Post by GG. »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:25 am
GG. wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:33 pm You can't fit anything in the back of a DB9 (and I therefore expect a 7 is the same or worse and neither are as useful as even a 911). If you need a proper 2+2, buy a Grandturismo. My dad's had a DB9 and currently has a Grandturismo S MC Shift so I'm speaking from first hand experience here.
Ah, interesting :( Too small even for a 9 to 12 year old with the passenger seat forward a little (wife is short enough)? We're talking 3 hour journeys on occasion, too.

And Slades is pretty close to me - I sense a visit and installing daughter in the back of their DB9 will be required then. And Gavin, explain to me how this reminds you of the 520d, bearing in mind this kind of conversation is what happens on a monthly basis on this forum :roll:
Yes, too small almost certainly - I don't think anyone ever sat in the back of the DB9 when he had it. Compare that with the fact my dad drove to Italy 3 up with my younger sister in the back so there's a massive difference in practicality.

He's totally converted with the Maser and thinks it is better than the Aston in every way... Hard to disagree with him to be honest.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:49 pm We could have a double date 8-)
Make sure you use protection (I'm referring to face coverings obviously) :lol:
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

He drove to Italy in the Maserati or the Aston? I assume the former, from what you're saying.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yes, in the Maser.

If you go for one of those, however, avoid the MC Shift and get the regular auto. The only downside I heard of on that trip was being stuck in a hour queue to go through the mont blanc tunnel, creeping up a incline, which caused the gearbox to display an 'overheat' warning. He nursed it through without issue and didn't cause any further problems but they're just not worth the hassle IMO.

4.7s with low miles are also bang in your price range https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... asc&page=1
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Doesn't appeal, to be honest (edit - its extra length may also preclude it). But thanks anyway.

I like the idea of an Aston, given the cost and their relative robustness (although the DB7s can rust underneath, moreso on the V12s apparently). Yes I have some form of connection with the DB7 but the DB9 given the cost would be very attractive. So I've done some research, done some reading, measured the garage, and even spoke to Aston Works yesterday about one of their cars. All I've seen so far is photographs and the back seats look big enough, but then thanks to asking the question I get some real-world experience and knowledge from you guys. I'll still be going along for a look of course, but now I'm prepared for disappointment if Eva really won't fit. And it really sounds like she won't. So cheers for the info, appreciated.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:48 am Doesn't appeal, to be honest. But thanks anyway.

I like the idea of an Aston, given the cost and their relative robustness (although the DB7s can rust underneath, moreso on the V12s apparently). Yes I have some form of connection with the DB7 but the DB9 given the cost would be very attractive. So I've done some research, done some reading, measured the garage, and even spoke to Aston Works yesterday about one of their cars. All I've seen so far is photographs and the back seats look big enough, but then thanks to asking the question I get some real-world experience and knowledge from you guys. I'll still be going along for a look of course, but now I'm prepared for disappointment if Eva really won't fit. And it really sounds like she won't. So cheers for the info, appreciated.
This ^ (whole thread) is what reminds me of the 520D thread, in the face of overwhelming well intentioned advice from knowledgeable car owners and enthusiasts with real world experience you stubbornly clung to your original desire. It is not a criticism, buy what you want, and as you say, on most "should I buy a 911/Mini/Puma Millenium" threads people stick to what they originally wanted regardless.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

What utter bollocks. I've clearly stated that perhaps the DB7 or DB9 won't work - what the fuck is the matter with you?