Tool purchases.

V8Granite

Re: Tool purchases.

Post by V8Granite »

After having to use my new first aid kit (I bought a bigger one for the family bus) twice this last week for my boy who had a couple of big scooter crashes I’m going to finally splurge on a Leatherman Raptor.

Amazing scissors, shears, ring cutter etc. Each car already has a life hammer but I’ll keep these shears in the family car and possibly another pair in the Landy.

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

You appear to have posted up some £100 scissors?! 😳
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:39 pm You appear to have posted up some £100 scissors?! 😳
They are the boy £77 :lol:

It’s just one of those things which is beautifully made. I am
Not a big fan of leatherman, I think Gerber is just as good and cheaper but these scissors rock.

Dave!
Last edited by V8Granite on Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:52 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:39 pm You appear to have posted up some £100 scissors?! 😳

Not a big fan of leather and, I think Gerber is just as good and cheaper but these scissors rock.

Dave!
yeah, I get it! I have a leatherman micro in front of me right now that I’ve had for 20+ years - they’re just so nicely made!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:52 pm

Not a big fan of leather and, I think Gerber is just as good and cheaper but these scissors rock.

Dave!
I have a Gerber multi-tool in the car and can confirm it is superb quality.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

We should all meet up with them on our belt pouches and pick up chicks 😎

Dave!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Carlin has left the conversation.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Woo hoo. New tool day today 😂

They look and feel fantastic quality. Very pleased!

mik

Post by mik »

Look nice.

Not tools, but a pair of Mechanix “Fast Fit” gloves arrived today. That was my request for a Father’s Day pressie - with an additional request that they were purchased via BasObsessionMotorsport.

I’ve always worked on cars with bare hands. You need to be able to feel what you are doing, and I just accepted scrapes and cuts, and having to use the nail brush on skin to get rid of all the dirt.

More recently I use nitrile gloves, as you get 99% of the tactility but keep your hands clean. The downside being they split WAY too easily, so you go through eleventeen pairs changing a set of discs n pads.

Saw a few recommendations for Mechanix gloves over the last couple of months, and had a brief twitter chat with Richard at BOM as they now sell them. He was open that he still used nitrile gloves for oily or delicate stuff, but rated these for more general or non-oily shizzle.

The fastfit ones have 0.6mm thick finger/palm material and are touch-screen compatible, but apparently wear very well. You can get a higher-dexterity 0.5mm version (for your pleasure) but they are more expensive and obviously a bit more fragile, so will try these and see what I think.

Fit very snug - as I wanted - need to try them now!

range BOM sells

McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I decided to bin my electric mower and get a petrol mower to go with my petrol powered strimmer/chainsaw/hedge trimmer thing.

Rather than buy a new cheap one I thought I'd buy an older (hopefully better) one. I ended up getting a qualcast self propelled mower with a Briggs and Stratton 450. It was tidy enough and once extracted from the back of the sellers shed, it fired up 2nd pull. I paid my money and took it away.

Some paint had peeled of and some was still in the process so I attacked it with a wire rush attachment on the drill, followed by masking and painting with some black rust-eze paint.

Drained the oil with my little electric pump, filled, ran, refrained and refilled with oil. A bit later I refitted some trim with the mower laid on its side which inadvertently flooded the engine and that ended up in the oil 😱🤯 Looks like I'll be draining it again!

Other than that though, I am quite pleased it and my fixes. I've ordered a new filter, plug and governor springs so it should be Bob on for the weekend.
mik

Post by mik »

Nice one. I started mowing an angled, rough area that I previously only strimmed - with the mower set on max height. Impossible with the old electric mower, but the Mountfield beasts in. It’s been getting a bit of a kicking and making me glad I just bought an older one.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Want ! Hybrid electric ratchet:

duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:24 am Want ! Hybrid electric ratchet:

8-) Although in the race, why didn't the guy tighten all the nuts with his fingers first? :lol:
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I’m going to piss on Daves chips but Tuff Cuts go through anything, the go to scissor for cutting through race suits, bike leathers etc

https://www.medisupplies.co.uk/Minor-Op ... YHEALw_wcB
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Beany

Post by Beany »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:34 am
8-) Although in the race, why didn't the guy tighten all the nuts with his fingers first? :lol:
I was thinking similar. That is usefully smaller than the current stuff you can get from Milwaukee etc though.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Do people clean tools if they've gone a bit rusty/ corroded ?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Orange Cola wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:38 am I’m going to piss on Daves chips but Tuff Cuts go through anything, the go to scissor for cutting through race suits, bike leathers etc

https://www.medisupplies.co.uk/Minor-Op ... YHEALw_wcB
They don’t cut tin or thin sheet and have a ring cutter though.

All essential everyday occurrences :lol:

Dave!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Carlos wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:19 am Do people clean tools if they've gone a bit rusty/ corroded ?
Mine constantly get wet because plumber, they just get lathered in oil every now and then and that’s about it