Ineos Grenadier (not dead)

Orange Cola

Ineos Grenadier (not dead)

Post by Orange Cola »

But has been seen out in the wild under heavy camouflage. Given how low the volumes were before the original Defender went out of production I’m still sceptical that this will ever make money from the “don’t change our Defender (but we we’ve only ever bought one in 30 years, and that was second hand)” and Farmer brigades. The Japanese have pretty much tied up the farmer and commercial markets, I can’t see a less comfortable car* with unproven reliability worrying the establishment.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... g-disguise

* Solid axles on the Ineos vs indi front suspension on the Japanese pick ups
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Ineos Grenadier (not dead)

Post by Ascender »

You have to wonder who would buy this unless they hit a really, really low price point?
Cheers,

Mike.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

It’s a lot of tooling and investment to have to pay back so I can’t see how it’s possible to achieve a low price point. They were in a legal battle with JLR about using the outline shape of the Defender so I doubt they’ve been able to buy some of pre-existing tooling from JLR.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’d say there’s a gap in the market for a £25k Defender type car. Although this will probably cost 3 times that so yeah, what’s the point.
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:25 pm I’d say there’s a gap in the market for a £25k Defender type car. Although this will probably cost 3 times that so yeah, what’s the point.
From the article:

“ Prices are yet to be officially announced, but Ineos has confirmed that it will “not be competing at the bottom end of the market.” Expect a starting price of around £30,000, climbing to around £45,000 for range-topping models.”. It also says peak volumes will be 25,000 units a year in 2024.

It’s £35k for a new JLR Defender commercial and £41k for a new JLR Defender 110, that’s some risky pricing from Ineos right there :?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

On the point of the new defender, had the press embargo ended that prevented you sharing what you’d done on it?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:30 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:25 pm I’d say there’s a gap in the market for a £25k Defender type car. Although this will probably cost 3 times that so yeah, what’s the point.
From the article:

“ Prices are yet to be officially announced, but Ineos has confirmed that it will “not be competing at the bottom end of the market.” Expect a starting price of around £30,000, climbing to around £45,000 for range-topping models.”. It also says peak volumes will be 25,000 units a year in 2024.

It’s £35k for a new JLR Defender commercial and £41k for a new JLR Defender 110, that’s some risky pricing from Ineos right there :?
So a Nissan Navara starts at about 23K I think... not sure why anybody would buy an Ineos over one of those for example?

I kind of think the ship has sailed in this market unless you can come in with something sub-20K or something which is utterly revolutionary.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Have you seen the price of 2nd hand defenders though? My mate is buying a 16 year old one at the moment for £13k!!!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:36 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:30 pm
From the article:

So a Nissan Navara starts at about 23K I think... not sure why anybody would buy an Ineos over one of those for example?

I kind of think the ship has sailed in this market unless you can come in with something sub-20K or something which is utterly revolutionary.
A 5 dr Jimny would do it?
Left over crest; tightens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

A Jimny can’t tow shit and can’t fit shit 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:43 pm Have you seen the price of 2nd hand defenders though? My mate is buying a 16 year old one at the moment for £13k!!!
Yip... Was seriously considering one so when the Golf goes I can get someone less practical alongside one, but the used prices are nuts. Or you can buy one which is literally a bag of nuts and spend x amount on it.
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’m a bit of a fanboy but Defender prices are silly.

Dave!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

3 Litre BMW Engines - petrol + diesel

Interesting
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

If they have good corrosion resistance on the chassis (all Land Rover products suck at this, range rovers included) and an ability to easily bolt stuff on they could be onto a winner.

Utility companies etc would be perfect for something like this.

Dave!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:51 pm If they have good corrosion resistance on the chassis (all Land Rover products suck at this, range rovers included) and an ability to easily bolt stuff on they could be onto a winner.

Utility companies etc would be perfect for something like this.

Dave!
That won’t sell 20,000+ a year at £30k+ a pop to utility companies though. Most buyers have gone to the very capable and less expensive Japanese alternatives.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

What will the new Defender Commercial look like ?

Will you be able to add boxes to the body, storage etc. Will there be a pick-up version ?

Versatility and ability for the chassis to be fully load bearing were its great strengths over the opposition. Full sized cherry pickers, racked out cabinets etc, hydraulic pump driven from the transfer box etc.

You don’t see a Hilux with hydraulic stabilisers and a 30 foot picker on the back.

I’m guessing though that this was a very small part of the business though and can understand that it wouldn’t have been worth keeping ?

The more I read about the new Defender though the more I like it and think it will be our next family car.

Dave!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I can only assume they’re targeting international sales. The commercial 4x4 market in the U.K. is tiny, according to the SMMT, with about 1600 per year being sold.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

4040F5E3-C613-4D15-99A1-B40AFA3EEAED.jpeg
4040F5E3-C613-4D15-99A1-B40AFA3EEAED.jpeg (47.93 KiB) Viewed 3787 times
😉
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I was never sure how many of the different commercial versions I saw were 'off-the'-shelf compared to bespoke jobs? But I do remember thinking all of them were brilliantly cool.

I really like the look of the new Defender and keep going in to play with the configurator.... A base model 90 with some options is the current favourite.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I don’t think LR see themselves as a working vehicle manufacturer anymore. They’re an aspirational lifestyle company.
An absolute unit